Joerg Isebrand - Cover

Joerg Isebrand

©Argon, 2008

Chapter 20: How Joerg Isebrand Kneels Before his Sister Katherine

Historical Sex Story: Chapter 20: How Joerg Isebrand Kneels Before his Sister Katherine - In the year 1500, a boy, Joerg Isebrand, is born into a peasant family in Northern Germany. Banished from the land of his birth at age sixteen, young Joerg soon finds himself a landsknecht, a soldier for hire. The story follows the next fourteen years of his life, as he rallies his siblings and fights in the wars of the 16th century. He dallies with many women and girls, but it is an unlikely bride who finally wins his heart.

Caution: This Historical Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   mt/Fa   Consensual   Romantic   Heterosexual   Historical   First   Oral Sex   Violence  

"Who giveth away the Bride?" the preacher asked.

"I, Bjoern Isebrand of Lauheim, give away my sister Nele Isebrand, a maid of free birth, to be wed to the Noble Arnulf of Erlenburg."

Bjoern's voice was strong, yet wistful. Giving Nele away came hard for the Isebrands. They all loved and cherished their youngest sibling. There was no turning back, though, and Bjoern placed his sister's hand in Arnulf's left hand.

"Do you, Gøtz Rudolf Ernst, Baron of Erlenburg, consent to the wedding of this maid Nele Isebrand with your brother Arnulf Georg?"

"I consent," came the answer from the crippled man in the front pew.

The preacher continued.

"Do you, Arnulf Georg of Erlenburg, take the present Nele Helga Isebrand for your wedded wife? Will you uphold her and protect her, in good times and bad, until death shall part you?"

"I do!" Arnulf almost shouted the words, raising a titter in the filled pews.

The good people of Erlenburg could sympathise with the younger Erlenburg's impatience. Eight weeks of effort had gone into Nele's appearance, and she was the epitome of beauty. Deer tallow, rubbed daily into Nele's skin, had all but removed the small crinkles around her eyes, and her tanned complexion had turned into a much paler shade, while she spent her days indoors, being prepared for the wedding. Her wedding dress, made of light blue cloth and her silken, deep blue cloak, contrasted with her hair, which flowed over her shoulders and to the small of her back in a silvery cascade.

Nobody knew that the sapphire necklace she wore had once graced the maitresse of a cardinal, just like the sapphire earrings. The gold buckles on her shoes had been the unwilling contribution of the cardinal himself - a fact that was of no consequence as the previous owner had been happy to escape the Sack of Rome with his head and limbs still attached to his torso.

"Do you, Nele Helga Isebrand, take the present Arnulf Georg of Erlenburg for your wedded husband? Will you honour him, obey him and care for him, in good times and bad, until death shall part you?"

"I do," Nele spoke, her clear voice reaching even the back pews.

"Those who God hath joined, no man shall pull asunder. In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, I declare you husband and wife!"

Gøtz of Erlenburg watched with a smile as his brother led his beautiful bride from the altar. He looked around, but not one of his servants was here to push the wheeled chair. Gøtz showed his exasperation as he tried to push himself away from the pew, to join the train following the couple.

Suddenly, he felt the chair move. Looking up, he looked into Katherine Isebrand's face.

"Let me help you, Lord," she said. "This is a joyous day; let us not waste it, scolding tardy servants."

"I thank you, brave Katherine," he said, blushing inexplicably.

The woman intrigued him. From what Arnulf had reported, she was a most efficient leader of men in battle. Yet, that did not detract in the least from the fact that she was a woman, an attractive woman. In the last weeks, Gøtz, to his surprise, found himself asking her for advice repeatedly, for her judgement was good and impartial.

A lot of decisions had to be made, he reflected, while Katherine pushed his chair towards the doors. His own brother and Field Captain, three landed vassals, and several lesser officers had perished in the battle. True, Rugenheim had to pay a huge ransom of four thousand Marks gold, and he would pay a crippling tribute for the next ten years, but the victory had cost the Erlenburg dearly.

It was a stroke of luck, indeed, that the Isebrands had come into his service. Not only had they turned the battle and saved his remaining brother, they could also fill the gaps in the power structure of the Erlenburg domains.

Of course, Arnulf was Field Captain of Erlenburg now, until the time came when he would inherit title and lands from Gøtz.

The second Isebrand brother, Thorben, had been appointed the new Castellan of the Erlenburg, responsible for the defence and running of castle and town.

Joerg, the most fearsome of the siblings, had been given the fiefdom of the Bellenberg castle, guarding the lands against the Count of Nassau and against Hugo of Rugenberg. Gøtz was confident that he could keep their powerful neighbours at bay.

Bjoern Isebrand would keep the castle of Lauheim, guarding the eastern border of their lands.

That left Katherine Isebrand. Her abilities and merits notwithstanding, he could not give her lands, for women could not receive lands as fiefdom. Also, he did not want her to leave the Erlenburg, for he had come to cherish her presence and the respect she showed him. Perhaps she would be willing to stay with her sister.

Charlotte, Albert's widow, was another problem. She was too young to remain a widow. Right now, she was in mourning, of course, watching the joyous celebrations from the fringes. This jolted Gøtz back into the present. Katherine had pushed his chair from the chapel, into the courtyard, and up the small ramp to his customary place of a dais. He had not even noticed! He looked around guiltily.

"Don't worry, Lord, we could all see you were in deep thought," Katherine spoke.

"Thank you, Katherine, for your help," Gøtz said. "There are many things to consider, even on this day. For instance, how can I reward you for your service?"

She gave him a knowing smile.

"Yes, that is a difficult question. I am a spinster and of low birth, and now my sister has caught one of the last available noblemen."

He joined in her easy laughter, feeling comfortable with her. Yes, only a marriage with a nobleman could give this woman the status she so richly deserved. But which noble would marry her, the daughter of a freeholder? The next step in this logical thought process made him gasp and blush. There was a way. There was a perfect solution, and it would benefit everybody, not the least himself.

"Katherine, I have need to speak with you in private. Will you join me in the morrow, to break our fast?"

"Of course, my Lord Gøtz. I shall be there."

"Thank you, Katherine. Pray, leave me to my musings now, for I have many things to ponder."

For a brief moment, Katherine pressed his shoulder affectionately, and in this second, Gøtz knew that his plan would work.


Katherine Isebrand yawned and stretched her limbs. The rays of the morning sun played on the wall of her chamber, and she luxuriated in the comfort of one of the softest beds she had ever slept in. The mattress was filled with coarse horsehairs and wool, both soft and warm. She relished the comfort. She was not a young woman anymore, in her early thirties and after an arduous life.

To be fair, her life in the last years had been better than what would have awaited her in the marshes of the North. Still, she felt like she could do with a few years in a comfortable place like this. There was this nagging feeling, though, in the back of her mind, telling her that she was missing out on motherhood.

True, she also lacked male companionship. Her thoughts drifted to Anton of Sternfels who had worshipped her naked body, who had sated his hunger on her and quenched her own thirst for love. Would she ever find a husband? The way Gøtz of Erlenburg looked at her made her feel attractive. It was a shame that this wonderful, intelligent man was wasting away.

She sat upright. Gøtz had asked her to join him for breakfast, and here she was, lazing in bed! With the wedding over, Katherine dressed in her usual garb before she rushed down the narrow staircase, to the council chamber where she knew Gøtz to be at this hour.

Gøtz looked up and smiled when she entered. The table was richly laid, she saw, and the elderly body servant fussed over Gøtz.

"Hugbert, leave me alone with the Maid Katherine. I have things to discuss with her."

Bowing, the man left the hall and closed the heavy oaken door.

"Sit, Katherine, I beg of you. Have some pastry, will you. The leftovers of yesterday, to be sure, but I'd rather they would not go to waste. And before you ask, the bulk will be given out to the poor, this afternoon."

He could read her well, she realised. She sat at the table, facing him, and picked a piece of venison pastry. A jug of fresh water, still cool from the well, sat in front of her. Gøtz had already noticed her likes and dislikes. Beer for breakfast, common for the men in the castle, counted among her dislikes.

"Katherine, what I want to propose to you may surprise you, even upset you. If you feel like you cannot agree, feel free to reject my offer, and there will be no hard feelings from my side. Just know that I have your interest in mind, as well as my own."

"Pray, continue, my Lord."

"Katherine, I could not help but notice, yesterday, that you are ill-content with your fate. It is true what you said. Your sister snared the best man far and wide, perhaps excluding your brothers, even if I sing my own brother's praise. It is also true that your birth and your lack of standing in this world stand in your way on your path to happiness.

"What I propose may remedy part of those hindrances, while costing you but a little of your life-time. As you have doubtlessly noticed, my body wastes away at a speed that frightens me and relieves me at the same time. It frightens me, because there is so much I would still like to see and do. It relieves me, for the suffering and the ignominy that are sure to come will be but short-lived.

"What I mean to propose, dear Katherine, is to ask you for your hand in marriage. I have come to care for you, in the last weeks, and I have great respect for you. Marrying me would disturb your life only briefly, and it would give me happiness in my final months. As my widow, your standing will improve greatly, hopefully giving you the opportunities that your birth denied you so far.

"I know full well that a woman like you cannot feel love for a twisted cripple - pray, let me continue! - but I know that you are warm-hearted enough not to make me feel it too much. I would like to have the illusion of love, in my final days."

At this point, Katherine's eyes were brimming with tears.

"Who says a woman cannot feel love for a gentle soul, for a wonderful mind, and for a big heart, all held captive in a sick body? I am not a child anymore; outward appearance does not hold such value for me anymore. I have come to enjoy our discourses, I have come to look forward to seeing you, ever since we returned from the field, a month ago. I think we can both give each what we need, at least in a small way."

He gasped.

"You are in agreement, fair Katherine?"

"Under one condition, yes. I do not want to deprive my sister's husband of anything that will be his by rights. I can accept your hand in marriage and your love, but no worldly goods, no lands, no fiefdoms."

"Katherine Isebrand, I would have liked to have met your father and your mother. They must have been noble people, peasants or not, having raised five children as true as you and your siblings. To me, you are a noble woman, already.

"There is all that talk about noble blood, about lineage. My forebears were of noble blood, six generations back, and look at me! My uncle and my aunt both wasted away, like me. Last night, I prayed to the Almighty, to spare Arnulf and Nele's children this terrible fate. I fervently hope that the fusion of our families will drive out the evil from our bloodline."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.