5th November - Cover

5th November

Copyright© 2008 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 5: Remember, Remember the 5th of November

Fawkes decided to wait out the night at the cellar, to ensure that nothing happened in the final hours, he had measured out a fuse that would run for 15 minutes, he checked the watch was fully wound and correct and then smiled, it wouldn't do to set everything up and then find that the party was over before he'd set the fuse!

He settled down to sleep when he heard a noise from outside, it was almost as if somebody was trying to open the door, he tensed up and then quietly walked to the door, listening for another sound, but it didn't come. He breathed out and opened the door to glance out; as his head looked round the wooden door he felt a cold circle of metal press against his neck.

"In the name of the King, I demand access to these premises. I am Lord Knyvetts of Escrick, charged by the king to search these premises." He said pulling Fawkes roughly out.

"Hey, there's no need for that. I work for Lord Percy, these are his property you have no right to enter here as its King's business he's dealing with." Fawkes said protesting as he was searched.

"Milord, he's clean of weapons but look at this." A guardsman said as he found touchwood and matches (touchwood is a fuse made for a set time).

"So ... Goodman?" Knyvetts asked.

"Johnston milord, John Johnston, equerry to Lord Percy. These are his property of wine, hay and straw he needs them for his family." Fawkes said trying to placate the guards.

"Let's see what the wine is like." Knyvetts said entering the cellar and approaching the barrels."

"Please milord, they're not ready for drinking yet, it needs time to settle, you wouldn't like it." Fawkes said watching as Knyvetts opened the top of the first barrel.

"No indeed, it's gone completely to seed. Black Seed! John Johnston you are under arrest on the grounds of treason. Guards take him to the tower ... you realise that with this evidence you can be tortured to reveal those who you're plotting with ... I suggest that you tell everything first." Knyvetts said as the struggling Fawkes was dragged away.

Taking care with their torches the remaining guards began clearing the barrels of their coverings, Knyvetts shook his head as he saw the large number of barrels filling the cellar, he sent a messenger to Robert Cecil who soon arrived with a large number of Lords and men.

Cecil nodded gravely as he surveyed the cellar. "We need to block off all avenues to Parliament, we cannot allow anyone to leave or to enter until this is securely taken away. Well done Knyvetts, I'm sure the King will be pleased with your work tonight; you have saved his life and that of the Lords. You and your men will be well rewarded.

Knyvetts bowed, "Thank you My Lord, but we were only following your orders." He said.

Cecil smiled, "I know Captain, but you've done the majority of the work. The King and the House of Lords are safe due to your actions." He raised his voice. "The country owes you all a debt of thanks." The men with Knyvetts started to cheer. "Captain, when your men are relieved you may return to barracks for the rest of the night." Cecil told him.

Knyvetts nodded, "Thank you again milord, it has been an eventful night." He said

As Cecil left the cellar he directed some men to remove the barrels, 'after all it wouldn't do for any accidents to take place.' He commented to Gregor as they left.


Howard was awoken with the news that morning. "I knew it, Cecil must have had a hand in this ... very well contact the Sheriff in Stourbridge, Tell him that 'a body of men will be passing through the land, they are thought to be in league with those who plotted the death of the King... '" He began to dictate.

The scribe looked up. "You mean to get them caught my Lord? But I thought..."

"They have failed the Association, for that they deserve death! And how better to achieve that than by having the Kings men do the work for us? Now to continue ' ... and should be captured alive if possible for returning to the Tower for trial.' Send that by messenger, he should get there in three days time, tell him no quicker I believe the weather is closing in and I don't want him to cause a horse to lose a shoe by fast galloping." Howard said and then added, "Now leave me to sleep on, I don't think I'll be awake until 10 of the clock!" and he went back to sleep.

- How can he do that? I mean they were helping the plotters and now he's just turning his back on them? What kind of a man was he?" Charlotte asked.

- "He was being a leader of the Association of Knights, their attitude to failure was a simple one, if the losers were not dead, then they will be." Maurice said. "Something that has now changed with the New Association." He added


Thomas Wintour awoke to hear a rumble in the streets, he looked out of the window of the room he was living in and looked down the street, he called to a man in the street, "What's happening?" He called.

"They've caught someone with gunpowder; they say he was going to blow up the king." The man called back.

Muttering a curse Thomas quickly dressed and called to Kit Wright to get up and to dress. Once this was done he sent Kit out to find out more. All too soon Kit returned. "They've found Fawkes ... he was caught last night." Kit panted out.

Thomas nodded, "I knew that this would happen ... alright now Kit I think you'd better go to Thomas Percy and tell him to leave London, it was known that he had rented the property and they won't hesitate to take him as soon as they can, I suggest you go with him and meet up with Catesby at The Lion." He said

Kit nodded and quickly left, after that Wintour did what some would have thought strange, he walked to the Court gate but found it was heavily guarded. "Can I have access please?" He asked the sergeant of the guard who was standing there.

The Sergeant shook his head, "Nay sir, the House is restricted to known Lords and as I don't recognise you as being on my list. Now sir I would suggest that you leave."

"There isn't normally this amount of problems on the Opening? What's happened?" Thomas asked.

"I can't say sir, now move along." The Sergeant said indicating the street behind Thomas.

Nodding away Thomas went to Kings Street but again was stopped by a guard who refused him to pass and so he went to the Strand and entered The Duck Inn, where he had a drink and listened to the conversations going on.

"I tell yous, the guards found someone with powder." One man said.

"Mark my words, there is treason discovered, in which the King and the Lords should have been blown up!" another mention which started everyone talking.

One man looked at Thomas, "What says you?" He asked.

Thomas shook his head, "I says that whatever happen, happened and talking about it won't change anything." He said finishing the drink and then he left leaving those inside the Inn to ponder his words.

Wintour gave a few minutes thought to the problem. He knew that Fawkes would try to hold back on any information and so he should be relatively safe in London for a few days and so he returned to his lodgings.


Due to the plans made earlier Robert Wintour, Robert Acton and his two sons stayed at Grafton Manor which was near Bromsgrove on Sunday 3rd and on November 4th they rode to Coventry where they stayed at the Bull Inn, which was in Smithfold Street where they stayed until the next day when they met up with Stephen and Humphrey Littleton and then left for a rendezvous with more people at Dunsmore Heath — during this time the news of the discovery of the plot was passing them as riders had been sent out to spread the news of the King's escape from death.

At Dunchurch Robert left the group to join Lady Catesby for dinner, an appointment he had made in October and didn't want to upset the wife of his leader. It was during this dinner that he received a note from Robert Catesby telling him that he was outside the village — he didn't want his presence noticed by the villagers who were strong supporters of the new King.

Indeed Catesby had ridden the 80 miles from London in 7 hours, he met up with Robert Keyes and then later on he also met up with Thomas Percy and Kit Wright, "Have you heard the news?" Kit called out.

"Of course I've heard the news why do you think I'm here?" Catesby said shortly, "If I could get my hands on that dammed Tresham, if he hadn't betrayed us we would be crowning a new Queen in London by now!" He said.

They made the meeting at The Lion where the group assembled had shrunk to 100 people, Catesby looked around and shook his head, "This is a poor sight ... My friends as you may have heard we were betrayed and soon the country will be against us. I plan for us to make our way to Wales and from there to find accommodations. It won't be easy for us and many of us may not make it ... but we will still be alive and able to make new plans for the sake of the British Catholics!" he said but was noticing that the group was slowly dwindling as the reality of the situation was being recognised by those in the Inn.

Robert Wintour went to Catesby. "Robert I beg you, it's not too late! If we throw ourselves on the mercy of the King we may still survive the time, I'm sure he would only imprison us in the Tower for a few years, it's something that we've all done before — Indeed many of the families of those involved in the plot had already been incarcerated in the Tower to be released after a few years.

"Never! I want to see our families able to celebrate the Holy Mass without being victimised by others. I will never give up and if you want to remain with me neither will you." He said.

"But look around! See the how our supporters have fallen away, there's what? 35? 40 left? They can see what's going to happen and so can I." Robert Wintour pointed out.

"If you want to leave - then do so! Be called a coward for evermore!" Catesby said.

"Don't be such a fool, if you don't give up then we all hang! I'll remain with you. But we must leave soon!" Wintour said heatedly.

Looking around Catesby could see that he was right, "Friends, we must go. But we need provisions, guns, shot and powder. Where should we find such things?" He asked.

A search of the area managed to find about 50 Muskets and Callivers along with shot and a supply of powder. They then decided that they needed to rest at some address, John Grants' house at Norbrook — near Snetterfield which was in the county of Warwick. Before they left Digby wrote a letter to his wife taken by Bates. The letter told of the failure of the plot and to warn the priests, Greenway and Garnet, about their danger.

When Bates returned he had Greenway with him, "Welcome sir, you have proved by your actions that you are a gentleman and want to live or die with us!" Catesby greeted Greenway as they appeared to the group.

Greenway nodded, "Of course, where else should I be but with you brave fellows." He said.

- "Wait a minute what are Callivers? I don't think I know about them." Sharon said, she prided herself on her knowledge of weapons.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.