5th November - Cover

5th November

Copyright© 2008 by Wandering Lanes

Chapter 4: Disaster

- "Hey I just thought of something ... why did they say October? Wasn't it in November that they caught Fawkes?" Kathy asked.

- "The best laid plans of Grand Masters and knaves ... during the summer of 1605 a plague occurred in London ensuring that the Lords and the Kings families were in the country and wouldn't be back until after the plague had passed." Robert told her.

- "A plague? But the Black Death..." Charlotte protested but was cut off by Robert.

- "It wasn't as bad as the Black Death, remember the streets of Medieval London were so squalid, the chamber pots were normally emptied from upper windows onto the streets below, regardless of who might be below, disease and infections were rife during the warmer months and it was only the cold of Autumn and Winter that stopped them, it also increased the number of deaths by hypothermia, so people died in the cities regardless. Nevertheless due to this plague the date of the opening of Parliament was changed yet again to the 5th November 1605, however in October, on the 26t, h an event came that put the whole plot into danger


Lord Monteagle was in the middle of dinner when a letter was delivered; he glanced at it and shook his head, "I don't believe this ... you! Can you read?" He called out to a servant who was standing beside the table.

Surprised at being so addressed, the servant answered. "Y ... yes milord."

Monteagle nodded, "Good, I can't be bothered to read this so I want you to read it out loud so that my friends here can hear it." He said handing over the letter.

The servant took the letter and, clearing his throat, began to read it. "My lord, out of the love I bear to some of your friends I have a care of your persuasion, therefore I would advise you as you tender your life to devise some excuse to shift of your attendance at this parliament for God and Man hath concurred to punish the wickedness of this time and things not slightly of this advertisement but retire yourself into your country where you may expect the event in safety for thought there be no apparent of any stir yet I say they shall receive a terrible blow this parliament and yet they shall not see who hurts them this council is not to be condemned because it may do you good and can do you no harm for the danger is passed as soon as you have burnt this letter and I hope God will give you the grace to make good use of it to whose holy protection I commend you ... The letter is unsigned milord" The servant finished.

Monteagle grunted and then nodded, "I know! Well friends what do you make of that?" He asked the invited guests at the dinner.

"It's a joke, but if it is then it's in poor taste." A man said with a laugh in his voice.

Lady Laurence shook her head, "I don't think it's a joke, I think it's a warning! Somebody doesn't want you to be at Parliament when it opens on the 5th. I think you ought to inform the guards about this." She said seriously.

Monteagle laughed, "The Guards? What can they do about this ... no, I have to pass this onto more secure hands, since you were so eloquent in your reading you can take this to Lord Cecil, deliver it into his hands only along with a note I will pen, please wait." He said to the servant as he retired to another room.

After a few minutes Monteagle returned and handed a letter to the servant who bowed and left the dining room. Monteagle sat back in his seat and then gestured to his guests, "Now then ... where were we?" He asked pleasantly.


Cecil was also at dinner when Monteagles' servant arrived, he accepted the two letters, reading the infamous missive first and then Monteagle's reply, he turned to the servant and dismissed him by saying, "Tell your master that I will do everything I can with this and thank him for his quick actions."

Cecil waited for the man to leave and then began to laugh, "Oh yes I'll deal with this, in a few days the story about the letter will be all around London, and the plotters will wonder who it was who sent this letter." He got up from his table and went to another room; ringing a bell he summoned Gregor who entered the room. "Ah Gregor, I want a copy of this note, use the special paper we received from the Spanish Ambassador, but I want the handwriting to be changed slightly, it must be so that no-body can tell who the author was." He said.

Gregor took the note and examined it, he looked up at Cecil who regarded him with a smile on his lips, "This is your handwriting when you use your left hand." Gregor said looking at his master in puzzlement.

"It does seem to resemble that does it not, I wonder how it happened. Now I need a copy to show the King and we need someone to blame the letter on." Cecil said.

"From what your lordship has told me of the plotters I would think that since this came from Lord Monteagle's servant, then his relative Francis Tresham would be an obvious source to mention to others." Gregor said.

Cecil laughed, "Oh yes, the family loyalty taking precedence over religion ... make sure that the rumour starts quickly." He directed Gregor who bowed and left to start his part of the plot.

- "I see, so Cecil was behind the letter! But the history books always placed the blame with Tresham." Maurice said sounding puzzled.

- "Of Course! You don't think that Robert Cecil would want the truth to be known, then it would show that he was aware of the plot and could have stopped it at any time, no he had to have something to present to the king, and what could be more natural than a letter." Robert de Sable said.

- "Why the sneaky bas ... person." Charlotte said realizing that she was in mixed company and caused everyone to laugh out loud.


In his sanctum Howard had also heard about Monteagle's letter and was so angry that he threw a jug at the wall. "He received what!" He called out to the spy.

"It was a letter warning him not to attend Parliament when it opens; it told him to be out of London altogether, milord." The spy said.

"But why Monteagle? Why not anyone else? Does he have a relative in the Catesby plotters?" He asked and then turned to another spy.

"I'm trying to remember ... yes milord he does, it's Francis Tresham but I would have thought that he was a loyal member of the plotters, I didn't think he would have..." That worthy replied

"That's just it! They have a team of amateurs trying to act like experienced plotters and what happens? It goes to pot that's what. I've a good mind to wash my hands of them completely, but they are the chance we have to take over the government." Howard said walking around smacking his fist into his hand.

"But milord, they don't know exactly what the letter means; even Monteagle couldn't give an answer to who wrote it, he didn't recognise the handwriting." The first spy said.

"Well of course he would say that I mean why would he? ... yes why would he say that? If he knew who wrote it he wouldn't need to pass the letter on ... but he does and to whom? Cecil! Who is known to be a favourite of James." Howard sat down and then thought on. "So who would benefit from such a letter being found? Why Cecil of course, this way he has an excuse to stop the King from going to Parliament and so delaying the death. But he doesn't know that the gunpowder has been moved and so he's going to send his men to the house and tunnel ... only to find that it's empty and no clue as to where the plotters have gone. So it doesn't matter he won't win and we'll take over the country as we are meant to." Howard said with a smile.

"But what if Cecil does know about the cellar? Won't he raid the place soon?" The first spy asked.

"Warn Catesby about the letter, let him make up his mind ... I would think that if nothing happens in the next two days then they're be safe." Howard said and dismissed both men. He sat brooding, "Yes within the next two days we'll know ... one way or another." He said settling the matter in his mind.


At Catesby's country home, a few days later, a messenger arrived with a letter from Francis Tresham. 'Terrible news from London! My cousin Monteagle has received a letter telling him to stay away from Parliament; all is known I strongly suggest that we stop this action until another day. We need to know how you feel about this and would suggest a meeting soon. Francis.'

Catesby screwed up the letter and threw it onto the fire, this shouldn't have happened, who would have done this? And why was the letter sent to Monteagle who was known to be a staunch Loyalist to the King. Unless ... Catesby took a pen and paper and wrote a letter to Thomas Percy and also another to John Wright, both saying that a discrete watch should be placed on both Francis Tresham and the cellar, should Francis try to approach the King or any of his supporters he was to be held and then they would try him. If the guards went near the cellar then all would be lost and the plot betrayed. He then arranged for a meeting between those involved in the plot to be held at The Lion which was in the village of Dunchurch on 30th October 1605. He knew by then that there would be some news.

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

When he received his letter Thomas Percy went to Francis Tresham. "Well it seems that somebody couldn't keep quiet?" He said accusingly.

Tresham shook his head, "It wasn't me Thomas. You know that I wasn't sure that this would work, but I am certain that if anyone was warned then we'd all end up on the gibbet, I'm more for saving my neck than betraying any of us to the King. Anyway I know that Catesby would kill me if I did any such thing." He said despondantly.

"So how did Monteagle get the note if not from you? I wonder if anyone else knows of our plot ... or is there another one in the air?" Percy pondered, he knew that Tresham was, at heart, a supporter of the plot and wouldn't really betray it but he had his orders from Catesby. He was going to stay with Tresham until the meeting. "Anyhow we've got more important things to worry about, have you arranged the horses for Fawkes and Wintour to leave London?" He asked Tresham.

"Yes, he and also the Wright brothers will be ensuring that Fawkes escapes and then they are going to muddy the path so that should the guards chase after him they'll send them the wrong way. But I would think that with all the mayhem that will be taking place looking for people running away would be the last thing on their minds." Tresham said.

Percy nodded, "Good, it would be a pity for him to fall into the hands of the guards, what plans do you have for him should they appear to be closing in?" He asked.

Tresham patted the flintlock on his belt. "It's all arranged." He said simply.

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

The meeting on the 30th was a surprise for the plotters; over 150 people were at The Lion along with Garnet and Greenway the priest who gave a quick mass to the assembled people.

Catesby ensured that all of them took the oath to keep the plot secret — although with the number of people there it would be normal that several spies, from both the Association and Organisation would be in attendance — making sure that neither side recognised the other.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.