Pebble Beach - Cover

Pebble Beach

Copyright© 2008 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 16

Saturday morning Bruno, Joey, Allie, the Sisters and the kids arrived. As soon as the bus stopped the kids were off and over to where the bits for the raft was stacked.

"When can we start Mr Jim?"

"Well first we must move the pontoons over to the beach kids. If we were to build it here we wouldn't be able to launch it."

"I thought we were going to have the raft in the lagoon Mr Jim," a young girl said.

"That's right Jennie, we will build it on the beach and then push it into the water. When the tide comes in we can tow it around to the lagoon."

"Wow, that's a clever idea Mr Jim."

"Righto kids, let's see a bit of muscle. If we get some of them poles under the first pontoon we can roll it over to the beach, then we can do the same with the second one."

With the poles under the pontoon it slipped more than rolled but they managed to get it over to the beach. While they were pushing and pulling Alex turned up.

"Jeeze, they're keen aren't they?"

"It's called the enthusiasm of youth Alex. I reckon that's all they have been thinking of since their visit to your factory."

"Well let's give them a hand to get them over to the beach."

By this time the locals had started to arrive so it didn't take much effort to have the two pontoons in place. Then we carted the decking and frame materials over. Alex took control of the project.

"Right kids, what we need to do now is put them two heavy logs on the beach and level them up. That way when we put the rest of the raft together everything should fit properly."

They levelled the logs and then we all manhandled the pontoons into position. Alex went back to his truck and pulled out a piece of plywood with the plan of the raft tacked onto it.

"OK, this is what you kids designed, here's how we put it together. First we tie the two pontoons together with the cross beams, see the numbers marked on them? Right look for the cross beams and lay them on the pontoons."

They found the cross beams and put them into position. With a little persuasion the pontoons were muscled into the right place and the beams bolted on.

"The next thing we need to do is put the deck boards on, check the numbers on the drawing. You will notice that they have holes drilled in them, when they are in place the holes should be over the cross beams; they are for the nails."

Once they were in place Alex put a bag of nails on the deck and two hammers.

"A word of caution kids, if you hit your fingers with the hammer please don't scream, I have a bad headache."

The kids all laughed at his joke. Soon they were belting in the nails, they took turns at hammering and no one hit their fingers. Once the deck was nailed down Alex brought out a roll of nylon shade mesh.

"We need to tack tis down one side then stretch it out and tack the other three sides. Once it's in place we can nail the three by twos around the edge, they hold the mesh in place and give us a hand hold as well."

The construction was going great guns, by lunch time it was almost finished. After we had our lunch Alex brought out a large can of plastic paint and some brushes.

"Right kids, next job is to paint the mesh, we need to really work the paint into it as that's what keeps it in place. Take your time and do a good job, that way it will last for years to come."

The kids grabbed the brushes and started to work the paint into the mesh. Alex kept a close eye on them until he was assured they were doing it right.

"Right Jim, time for one of them home brews I keep on hearing about."

"Good thinking Ninety Nine, the sun is well over the yard arm."

We sat on the beach and drank our beer as the kids painted away.

"Should be able to float her in the morning, the paint will dry pretty quick being plastic. What have you got for a mooring Jim?"

"The boys cast a big concrete block with a heavy chain in it, when we are ready to tow the raft around to the lagoon we can roll it up a plank and take it around with us."

While we were sitting around jawing Sister Teresa came over with a younger Sister.

"Folks, I would like you to meet Sister Ruth, she's one of the Sisters that's taking our place at the orphanage."

"Hello Sister, welcome to Pebble Beach, I hope we see you here often."

"Thank you Jim, I'm amazed by the things you folk have done for the kids, not many people would be bothered to go out of their way like you folk have."

"Sister, I can assure you that we get a big kick out of helping them. Just sitting back here now, we can see the pleasure and excitement they are getting out of building 'Their' raft. That's the best payment we could want."


The last splosh of paint in place, Alex showed them how to wash the brushes out.

"I reckon you kids got more paint on yourselves than on the raft," he joked. "Better hit the showers before you knock off."

The kids cleaned the brushes and put them in Alex's truck. Alex called them all around him.

"Kids, I really proud of you, you've done a great job of not only designing but building the raft as well. Congratulations."

Little Jennie piped up, "Thank YOU Mr Alex, you made it possible for us to have this beautiful raft, the kids want to name it after you, 'The Alex' a great name for a great raft."

The kids all gave a rousing cheer, "Thank you Mr Alex, hip, hip, hooray."

"Thank you Kids I consider it a great honour to have you name it after me, thank you."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.