Pebble Beach - Cover

Pebble Beach

Copyright© 2008 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 10

Bruno contacted both the TV station and the local rag, asking them to call for volunteers to help us dismantle the café equipment. The response was staggering. There were all the tradesmen needed to legally disconnect services and render the equipment in a safe condition, also the offer to reinstall it when the cabin is completed.

A spin off from the call for the volunteers was offers to assist with the completion of the cabin. The owner of a floor covering store Ray Hartley, rang me at home with an offer of second hand pub carpet. The Criterion hotel was replacing all their floor coverings and suggested we could use their old ones. There were several parts of the carpet that had minimal wear and was in perfect condition apart from needing a steam cleaning which the carpet store would do for us.

The manager told me that he and his carpet layer would install the carpet for the cost of the accessories needed to lay it. He also offered to supply the tiles for the kitchen and the ablution blocks, these he said were extras not used from different jobs.

"They will be in a variety of colours, but all the same size, if we mix them a bit they could form a patchwork pattern."

"That sounds terrific Ray, we originally intended on painting the floor with paving paint. The carpet will certainly give the place a lift, and the tiles would certainly make the kitchen and ablution blocks a lot more hygienic. On behalf of the kids I thank you profusely."

"That's OK Jim, these kids need a little bit of help now and then, it's not costing me much and it's a good cause."

Another offer came from the local paint store, he would supply all of the paint at cost. The offers just kept coming in, it was heart warming to say the least.


Over the course of the next month we completed all of the interior structure. The ceiling and insulation was installed, the interior walls were painted with a mushroom coloured paint, and the doors were a contrasting cream.

We had decide to run a two inch pipe down the centre of the main room, just above head height. Two similar pipes ran along the walls, these were the tying points for the hammocks. A concertina partition from the Criterion hotel separated the boys from the girls during the night time.

Once the carpet and tiles had been laid we recalled our volunteers to begin the installation the kitchen equipment. Soon there was a number of people fitting out the kitchen. The tables and chairs were brought in and the cabin took on the appearance of a rustic café.

By the end of the month the cabin was complete. A sporting goods company supplied hammocks and sleeping bags at cost, this was a great help. Hattie and Jane bought a bolt of sheet material and made sleeping bag liners which could be removed and washed.


Finally the great day arrived, Bruno brought the Sisters and the kids over. The TV crew and news paper editor were present, all the folk who had helped in one form or another was there. Monsignor Rossi was there on behalf of the orphanage.

I had asked Bruno to make a speech on my behalf, I'm no great orator and he could cover all the aspects that I would overlook.

"People, on behalf of Jim I would like to thank all of you for helping to build this cabin for the kids. You have given labour and materials, you have assisted in many ways to bring this project to fruition."

"This cabin will allow the kids from the orphanage to enjoy the beach and the company of the Pebble Beach residents who's interest in them started the ball rolling. For now and in the future we hope to be seeing young people enjoying the fruits of your labour. A very big thank you."

Monsignor Rossi stood to speak on behalf of the orphanage. "Ladies and gentlemen, although I am the person responsible for the orphanage I think it would be more fitting if Sister Mary spoke on their behalf ... Sister Mary."

A flustered Sister Mary quickly conferred with Sister Teresa before replying.

"Good people of Pebble Beach, all of you people that assisted them on their venture, all of the businesses that donated goods and gave them materials at cost price. On behalf of the children I offer our heart felt thanks, for without you, today would not be possible. Thank you."

There was a rousing round of applause. When things quietened down Bruno responded, "The smiles on the kids faces are all the thanks we need to know we have done the right thing."

Annie called for everyone's attention, "There are light refreshments available in the cabin, please enjoy them."


After the guests had gone we showed the kids how to sling their hammocks. It was quite amusing to see some of the knots they tried to use. Fred gathered them all around him and taught them how to tie a clove hitch.

"Tie your hitch like I've just shown you and then tie it off with a half hitch, that way it won't come undone but it's an easy knot to undo."

The Sisters had a separate room each with a bed, a side locker and a wardrobe.

"Would you mind if we put the two beds in one of the rooms and used the other as a sitting room Jim?"

"Sister Mary, this is your cabin, you use it as you wish. If you need any furniture for the sitting room we can rustle something up for you."

The kids soon settled into their new cabin, Rosie had full time companions to play with. When Betty passed away, we stored her furniture in the garage, as Helga had brought her own. Fred and I asked the Sisters if they would like to select what they needed for their sitting room. We looked through what was there and they said they would like the two arm chairs and the coffee table.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.