Pebble Beach - Cover

Pebble Beach

Copyright© 2008 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 6

At our next meeting of the Pebble Beach residents the main topic was the Kid's Christmas. Herman remarked that it was the best Christmas he had spent in many years.

"Seeing all those kids enjoying themselves gave my heart a lift. Not only were they having fun but they were also well mannered and courteous to us 'oldies' as well."

Hattie voiced the same opinion and so did several others. Fred Jacobs came up with the idea of giving the orphanage a permanent invite.

"Those kids need a bit of attention, I know that Jane and I got great pleasure from their company. An open invitation would let them know how we feel."

The rest of us agreed and so it was left to Annie to extend our welcome to the Sisters the next time she went into town.

...

Later I was mulling over the orphan situation when Annie came and sat next to me.

"What's on your mind Jim? You seem very deep in thought"

"Oh! Hi Annie, I was thinking about the orphans and what we could do to help them."

"I think Fred's idea of a permanent invite was a good one, don't you?"

"Yes I do Annie, what I was thinking about was a bit more than an open invite though. We have a great big block of land here, I was thinking about building a large log cabin. There are plenty of kit homes on the market. If the others agreed to help erect one it could be a place for the orphanage to call their own. That way they wouldn't feel like they were taking advantage of our good nature"

"That's a darn good idea Jim, I just hope that the Sisters won't think we are being too pushy."

I thought about that for a while. "Well love there's only one way to find out. I think firstly, we should sound out how the locals feel about this, if the are agreeable then we can talk to the Sisters."

It was a nice day for a cook out so while I started the barbecue Annie rounded up the neighbours. Shortly we were all standing around, drinks in hand yakking away.

Annie broached the subject. "Jim came up with the idea of building a large log cabin on our block. The intention being to let the orphanage have a piece of Pebble Beach to call their own. We know that all of you want to have the kids visit you but keep in mind that they would start to feel obligated. If they had their own cabin they would still feel wanted and I'm sure they would still want to visit with you."

Hattie was the first to speak, "That's a great idea Jim, but who's going to pay for it? We are all old age pensioners and our pittance doesn't run to that sort of expenditure."

With a bit of an embarrassed look I told then that I would pay for the cabin kit if they would assist in erecting it. "I don't want you to think I'm flaunting my money but I can afford it."

The all agreed that the idea was a sound one and it wasn't long before we were pacing out where the cabin would go. There were several good suggestions as to the internal layout. One was not to have bunks but hammocks instead, that would allow them to be rolled up when not in use and the area would be clear for other activities.

The Sisters would also need separate quarters, this could be defined with them as soon as they agreed to our proposal.

Fred Jacobs said, "What say we invite them over this week end and they can see first hand what we are talking about?"

"Good idea Fred, Jane and I would love to put them up again," said Herman.

...

Annie gave the Sisters a ring and asked them if they would like to have the weekend with us.

"Oh Annie, that's a lovely thought but we can't impose on you like that."

"Sister, when we had a meeting, the Pebble Beach locals asked me to invite you and the kids over. We all had a great time over Christmas and would enjoy your company again."

"Thank you Annie, we will need to hire a bus again, I hope the management will agree to cover the cost."

"Don't worry about the cost Sister, we will cover that. After all it's our invitation."

"Annie, you are a dear. I know the kids will be ecstatic when I tell them, I know I can't wait."

"OK then its all arranged for this week end."

After Annie had made the call she told me what had transpired.

"The Sisters were a bit concerned that they were imposing on us, I assured them that we were more than happy to have them over, that's why we were inviting them."

"That's why I think that the cabin idea is a good one, it takes that aspect out of the equation."

"The other thing they were concerned about was the cost of hiring a bus, I told them not to worry as we would pay for it."

"That gives me another thought Annie. If we go ahead with the cabin they will need transport. Perhaps we should look around for a small second hand bus for them."

"That's a good thought Jim, it's not as though we can't afford it, I just hope the Sisters will go for the idea altogether."

...

I spoke to the manager of the local bus company and arranged for the kids transport. While I had his ear I asked if he knew of a small second hand bus we could purchase, letting him know it was for the orphanage.

"How many passengers would you need to be carrying Mr Taylor?"

"I think they have around twenty five kids give or take a few. We would also need a bit of space for their gear as well."

"I can offer you a medium commuter bus we are going to replace. It's done a few klicks but is still in good condition, it will accommodate thirty passengers. The driver will need to have a medium rigid licence to operate it though."

"Next question, how much and does it have a road worthy certificate?"

"It will be sold with the roadworthy and the registration. The cost ... how does thirty thousand sound?"

"I think it sounds a little on the steep side. The best I can do is twenty five, keep in mind this is a donation to the orphanage, you might even write it off as a tax claim."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.