Pebble Beach - Cover

Pebble Beach

Copyright© 2008 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 2

The small motor home that I rented was more than adequate for my needs. It had a small shower recess with a portapotti which saved leaving the van for the necessaries. A microwave oven, a cook top and a small fridge. It wasn't a speedy machine but I wasn't in any hurry to get there, no destination, no fixed abode, at least while I was on holiday.

For the first few days I just bummed around getting used to the way things handled. I parked in van parks overnight and spoke to other folk who had more experience than I. They suggested I take the coast road as there were plenty of places to park without the need of looking for a van park.

With these thoughts in mind I headed off along the coast. I stopped at a few places and enjoyed the views. The fourth day out I was driving along and almost missed the sign that pointed to 'Pebble Beach 1km'. It was an unsealed road and appeared to be in good repair. The conditions on renting the motor home were that if I took it off the bitumen and had a bingle my insurance didn't cover me. The road looked well used so I took a punt and started towards Pebble Beach.

After traversing the road for a while it deteriorated a bit but nothing of great concern. The road wended its way through scrubby forest and Ti-tree until finally it broke through to clumpy grassland. A few kilometres later I noticed the sea and some houses lining the shore. A notice proudly proclaiming 'Pebble Beach pop 12' someone had crossed out the 12 and made it 11. Looks like someone has left or died I thought.

As I drove into the village I noticed a car perched on the side of the road and a lady trying to mount a for sale sign on the fence of a property. She seemed to be having some difficulty so I pulled up and asked if she needed a hand.

"Yes please I can't seem to get the dammed thing tied on properly."

As I got out I took close notice of the property. It was fully fenced with a chain link fence about five feet high and a sturdy gate. I then notice there was a goat on the other side, that explained the reason for the fence.

Out of curiosity I queried the asking price. She laughed and told me there was more than what met the eye.

"The place belonged to my father Ned Murphy. Father was a very rich man, he made his money and retired here. He built the house and he and his mate Clarrie O'Loughlin spent the last ten years just fishing and relaxing. Dad passed away last month. His will stipulated that I couldn't inherit any of his money unless I made sure that the person who bought the house gave a firm undertaking to look after 'Rosie' the goat. In other words he or she was to be a permanent resident."

"That doesn't seem too bad" I replied.

"That's only part of it, come with me." She led me through the gate and the goat trotted up. "Get away from me you stinking animal" she cried.

I gave Rosie a pat on the head and tickled her behind the ears, she liked the attention. The daughter led me to the back of the property and showed me a mound on the hill. "That is his grave, before he died he obtained permission from the health department to be buried there. He also got permission for his mate Clarrie as well. Still interested?"

"Yes I think I am, dependent on price of course and I would like to have a look through the house before deciding."

"OK one more step before we do that, you have to meet with Clarrie's approval, it's all part of his crazy will."

"Well what are we waiting for, let's go and talk to Clarrie."

It turned out that Clarrie lived in the next house, so we knocked on the door. A lady of Philippine extraction opened the door.

"So Sheila do we have a buyer?'

With a look of disdain Sheila told her that I was definitely interested.

"Well come on in and meet Clarrie then."

When we entered the living room Sheila introduced me to Clarrie.

"This is Mr??? I don't know your name," she flustered.

"That's alright, Hello Clarrie, I'm Jim Taylor and yes I'm interested in Ned's place, it seems like you have to give your approval."

Clarrie gave a bit of a chuckle. "Yeah, that's right son, grab a seat and tell us about yourself. This is my wife Annie, Annie would you like to make a cup of tea love?"

"Sure Clarrie, how do you take it Mr Taylor?"

"Jim please Annie and white with one will do fine."

We sat down and I told them about myself, that I was a bachelor and that I had been told by the doc to change my lifestyle or suffer the consequences. I told them about my work omitting my part ownership and that from what I saw of Pebble Beach I would like to call it home.

Clarrie liked to chew the fat so we sat around gabbing for a while. I think he was summing me up.

"OK Sheila, the young man looks to be genuine, you realise son that I've got my space booked next to Ned?"

"Yeah Clarrie, Sheila filled me in on that, I don't have any problem with it."

"Righto then Sheila go ahead."

We returned to the house and Sheila took me through it.

"The place comes exactly as you see it, I'm not allowed to remove anything, not that there's any thing I would want. There's Satellite TV and Internet connection. The place is powered by a generator and solar panels The cooking and hot water are run by LP gas. Everything, and I mean everything is in the price of the property. There is a boat in the shed and a four wheel drive ute to pull it. The workshop has a lot of tools as well."

"The big question is how much?" I said.

"My father set the price at one hundred thousand dollars, it's worth at least three times that amount but that's his ruling."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.