Recovery of a Hero - Cover

Recovery of a Hero

7/12/2008

Chapter 1

I was in Bagdad escorting a civilian computer expert with 3 others from my squad when this story begins. He was a Department of the Navy employee sent to Iraq to assist in setting up computer networks for the new Iraqi government and we were assigned to protect him while he traveled around the city installing computer systems.

While we were driving to one of the government buildings where he was working, we were ambushed by a large number of insurgent fighters.

The first warning I had that something was wrong was when an explosion beside our Humvee lifted the vehicle of the road on that side and then we dropped back down.

I immediately new that something was wrong with the Humvee as the passenger side of the vehicle sagged down like the tires were completely gone.

I shouted to the others to get out and get the civilian to cover while I used the machine gun on top to cover them.

Pvt. Jenkins grabbed him and pulled him out of the Humvee and Cpl. Samson grabbed Pvt. Tims from the front of the rig and dragged him to an alley where they had some cover from incoming fire. I started firing at the approaching enemy group that was approaching us.

There was another explosion in the front of the Humvee and I fell out of the hatch into the vehicle. I crawled out the open door toward my comrades but was hit in both legs by enemy fire.

Since I was unable to move fast enough to get to shelter, I stayed next to the Humvee. I suddenly started to feel the pain from my injuries and knew I was hurt bad but there was nothing I could do about it. I was surprised when I saw the civilian, whose name was DeShade or something like that, got up and ran toward me. I heard several automatic weapons open up as he rushed to me, but he wasn't hit.

Jenkins and Samson returned fire as DeShade grabbed me and started dragging me to the others. I heard the unmistakable sound of bullets hitting meat and DeShade staggered but kept dragging me to shelter.

When we got to the alley, I saw that Tims was wounded and so was Samson. That explained why they hadn't come for me themselves, but I wondered about Jenkins.

That was when I lost consciousness and didn't wake up until after we had been rescued by a patrol and taken back to the hospital at the main base in Bagdad.

When I regained consciousness, I felt light headed. There was a nurse taking my blood pressure, I saw, when my vision cleared. I tried to ask about the others, but could barely croak.

The nurse finished what she was doing and held up a glass with a straw in it so I could take a drink. After the drink, I tried again and this time was able to speak although not loudly. I asked about my men and the civilian.

She said that my men were all alive and that the 2 who had been wounded were doing well.

I then asked about the man who had saved my life and she said that he was still unconscious. He had been hit twice, once in the side, and once in the back.

The flack vest he had been wearing had stopped the first round, but the second had gone through the arm hole on the right side of the vest and entered under his collar bone and gone completely through, exiting in front and then hitting the vest on the inside and traveling down and lodging in his left hip.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.