Second Chance - Cover

Second Chance

Copyright© 2008 by SilverFoxFiles

Chapter 2

"McGee! Get over here. Carry Mama Bear in. Ziva, guard Baby Bear with your life. Have Duck set up another gurney for Gibbs."

Tony raced around the car and knelt at Jethro's side. "Come on, don't you do this to us. Gibbs! Look at me. I'm going to carry you in, but you have to let go of the steering wheel.

"Can't ... get them..."

"Jethro, shut up and listen to me. You need help."

"Shannon..."

"McGee's helping Shannon, and Ziva is with Kelly. We're in a secure area now, Boss. Stand down."

Tim had no idea what was going on but he knew those names and the older woman's face. "Ma'am? Mrs. Gibbs? I'll be as gentle as I can, but this may hurt."

"Shannon, that's my name and easier than trying to come up with something else to call me. And please, I can walk. Jethro believed he had to go hero on me, but I'm quite capable. An arm of support would be appreciated."

"C-certainly, Ma'am. Mrs. Gibbs. I mean ... I—Shannon." Tim supported her and helped her get out of the car. "Is that Kelly?"

"It is. She's single too, she might be a little young for you but she's a good girl. A lot like her father, but sweeter." Kelly needed people her own age, something she'd never had up until now. A little push from her mother could be just the right thing. This boy, he wouldn't be working for NCIS if Jethro didn't believe in him, which made her feel better. "She likes chocolates and fancy coffee, if you're interested."

Was Mrs. Gibbs trying to set him up with his boss' daughter? When they hadn't even gotten them to safety? "She's very pretty, Ma'am. Looks just like you, But younger. Still pretty but ... I mean, not that you're ugly, Ma'am. Mrs ... I mean, Shannon" Tim sighed and cringed, waiting for a head whack. "Chocolates and fancy coffee? Does she drink it black like Gibbs does?" He'd babble if it would distract her and get her inside and to safety.

"Black, one sugar. She says it's just enough to take it from a drink to a treat. I never believed something could be passed through genetics, but seeing her with her coffee you can tell without a doubt who her father is. She drinks it like water."

Shannon liked this young man; he was cute and could still blush and stutter. Which didn't mean that he wouldn't push Kelly, but the fear of her father would keep him from pressuring her into a relationship too quickly and scaring her. "She is a beautiful girl, but has led a sheltered life. I would expect any suitor to treat her right and help her blossom into a woman. You seem to be a nice boy, someone I might expect to treat her well. A mother can tell these things."

Tim mustered a smile, assisting her as she moved slowly. "She's very beautiful. She looks like both of you. She has Gibbs' eyes." She was beautiful, made him forget to breathe like no other woman than Abby had. "I'll be glad to be her friend. Boss is the best. Boss would only marry the best too."

Gibbs would kill him if he thought he was coming on to either the wife or daughter. "Ma'am ... I. That was not meant as disrespectful."

"No disrespect taken, you're fine. I'm not like Jethro. I don't go off for little things, as I'm aware my husband does these days. I'm much more laid back. She could use a friend, get to know her and see what happens, McGee. Is that a nickname or is there something else I could call you? I'll protect you from her father; you just think about my daughter."

"Special Agent Timothy McGee, ma'am. You can call me anything you like. And I could do that. As long as she'd like a friend. She seems very overwhelmed right now. But I guess she would be. That was a safe house?" Tim sighed. "I'm talking too much, aren't I?" He eased her onto one of Ducky's tables.

"Talk all you want, it's nice to hear someone else's voice. Especially when it's about my daughter. She's had it tough, very few friends in her life. I'm trusting Jethro to have chosen his team well and that you wouldn't do anything to intentionally hurt my daughter."

"Never, Ma'am. My mother raised me to be a gentleman. Which this team needs. Ziva, she was raised to kill, and Tony's a bit of a chauvinist meets college party boy, Ducky sometimes flirts with younger women, and you know boss."

"Knew, there's a difference. The man who came in to save me wasn't the man I married. Not that it's bad, or good. It just is. And a gentleman is exactly what Kelly needs. Show her the world, while allowing her to move at her own pace."

"I will do that, Ma'am," Tim said quietly. "And if you need anything, I'll be glad to assist."

"Thank you Tim. I'll be sure to find you if I think of anything. And I'll introduce you to Kelly a little later, once I get my shoulder patched up."

"No hurry. You just get better, Ma'am. We'll take care of the rest."

"I'm sure that you and the rest of the group will. But please, worry about my daughter. I'm expendable but she should have a chance to live and to get to know her father."

"No, Ma'am. You aren't expendable. We'll take care of you. You'll see." He began pacing slowly in front of her.

"I wish I could fully believe that Timothy, but it's been much too long since I've been able to fully depend on anyone besides myself. I would like it all the same." Shannon wouldn't hold anyone to protecting them, but it would be nice to have someone to depend on again. "But I've also learned I'm more than capable of taking care of us as well. We'll be happy with whatever you and your co-workers can provide us."

Tim stared deeply into her eyes. "Mrs. Gibbs, Ma'am, I will protect both of you to my very last breath."

"I see why Jethro chose you for his team. You don't look like the quintessential Marine, but you have the loyalty of one. Take a bullet for the one you serve with and know they'll take one for you. It's admirable. But I'm not my husband. I wouldn't ask you to do that. For Kelly, of course I would. I want my girl to live a long life with a good boy. But me, I've made my bed and it's time I lie in it."

"I never thought Gibbs would marry someone so given to self defeatism. That is the biggest surprise to me. I expected you to be as brave and strong as you are beautiful. He never mentions you but the expression on his face when he thinks nobody is looking. I didn't think he'd be with someone who was her own worst enemy and who is interested in sacrificing rather than fighting and finding the answers."

"I'm only interested in making sure my daughter is well protected. It's what I've been doing since she was a little girl and just because her father and his team of white hats have come along to save the day..." The boy had obviously picked up Jethro's tenacity and some of his personality. Tim might seem mild mannered, but he had a steel backbone. "You give up seventeen years of your life to protect the most important person in your life, and then get back to me. Until that happens, don't think that you know me well enough to judge me."

"I wasn't judging exactly, ma'am. I was trying to pull you out of whatever hole you jumped in. Glad to see you pulled yourself out." Tim gave her an innocent look before backing slowly away, guarding the door.


Ziva had seen a lot of young women in shock and this one just looked overwhelmed. "Kelly, is it? Let's go inside. Come along with me."

As soon as she cleared the doors with the girl, she called out for Ducky. "Ducky! Gibbs is in the bay. He can't breathe. McGee's bringing in a gunshot wound to the shoulder." As soon as they entered the room, Ziva saw Jenny's and Abby's shocked faces and Ducky's pale one. The redhead was already seated on a table and Ducky was gathering supplies.

"Director, Abby. This is Kelly. Unhurt, I think. Get her comfortable. Kelly, these are our friends, Jenny and Abby. Abby is the one with the collar." Ziva yanked on Ducky's arm and dragged him out of the room, toward the medical bay.

Kelly? Redhead? She had his eyes! "Hi, Kelly. I'm Jenny. Are you hurt?"

"No, I'm not hurt. Thank you. I'm Kelly, but you know that don't you? Do you both work with my dad?"

"We do. Abby is the forensic tech for NCIS, I'm the agency director. We've both worked with Jethro in the past and currently."

"You're his boss? Wow, you must be like really powerful or something. So that means you run all of NCIS right? Not just the office?" Turning to the dark haired woman, she wasn't sure what she thought. She'd never seen anyone look quite like that, and then find out she was a scientist. "We talked about forensic science a lot in my criminal justice classes. I'd love to talk to you about some of the techniques we learned about. The professor wasn't a specialist in them, so the talk was pretty general."

"Well, I don't know about powerful," Jenny demurred with a chuckle, trying to focus on the girl instead of her worry about Jethro. "Yes, I run the entire agency. We have about four thousand agents and techs installed around the world. Kelly, are you in law enforcement? Talk to me about job opportunities here in the future. We'd love to have another Gibbs on board." Provided the senior Gibbs was okay.

Jenny was torn, she wanted to be out there but she knew the occupants of this room had to be protected as well. She rested her hand lightly on her gun, in readiness, shocked at the events of the day. How had she not known that Shannon and Kelly Gibbs were alive. There was a great deal of investigating to do, once they were secured.


"Tony ... I'm okay. Just muscle spasms." Jethro gripped Tony's arm firmly in his right hand. "Rub my forearm, it'll ease up."

Tony did as requested, relieved to see Jethro's hand unclench and the older man stand.

"What are ya waiting for? Second damn coming?" He started toward the door but then Tony grabbed him and spun him back.

"You okay?"

Jethro nodded, starting to turn back before mussing Tony's hair. "Hang in there, DiNozzo. I'm not leaving."

Jethro followed McGee and Shannon inside, brushing off Ducky and Ziva. "Just tight muscles, take care of her first, Duck."


Kelly let out a huge breath of air as she saw her father walk in unassisted. The older man and the woman who had led her in followed and there was a hissing sound as a door locked.

"My degree is in criminal justice. But I have no practical experience. I've thought about law school some day, but I don't know yet. I really haven't a chance to think about what I want to do long term. Working here could be an option, but you don't have to hire me because of my dad. It's a nice offer, but I can probably find something on my own. I don't really know him well enough to use his name that way."

"Well, we'll talk, Kelly. We have opportunities for all sorts of positions, desk work, field work, lab work, our legal department offers continuing education and tuition assistance." She smiled slightly. "I must sound like a recruitment ad." But she was distracting the younger woman, she could tell.

"You're fine. No one has ever wanted to hire me before. Not that I have had much of a chance. I'll think about it. We'll probably be trapped for a while, so you can tell me all about it. I've never had a job, so I don't really know what I want to be when I grow up."

"Think of it as protected and not trapped, Kelly," Jenny said quietly. "We'll all give our lives to keep you and your mom safe." She felt fiercely protective of the younger woman.

"I don't want anyone to die because of me. I don't care if it's your job, but we aren't an NCIS case. We just kind of landed in your laps, I'm pretty sure that means you don't have to dive in front of any bullets for us." Kelly sighed, looking over at her mother and the young guy lurking close by.

"Kelly, your father has inspired loyalty that I cannot even put into words. We've all had our lives on the line and he has been the one who has been our rescuer and our hero. You are not only in NCIS care, you are a part of NCIS. Case be damned, we take care of our family."

"I suppose it all seems normal to you, but the only family I've ever had was my mom. I wouldn't want to put anyone in danger, family or not. I'm sure it will seem normal in the end, but right now, this is all kind of weirding me out."

Abby nodded. "Want us to back off? I want to get to know you but I get that you need space too." She was babbling as well, her thoughts with Gibbs.

"No, it's not like that. I just need to take this slow. I'm not used to lots of people being around. Usually its mom and I, and the agent who took care of us. I'll get used to having people around, just if I seem a little off center, give me some space. I need to learn to associate with real live people if I'm gong to be able to hold a job someday."

"You can have space, young Gibbs. Tell me what you need, okay? I may sound sweet and nice but I get my way with those men. A flash of dog collar or a tat goes a long way."

"I'll take your word for it. But I appreciate the offer. I'll let you know if things get too much. I can handle being locked up, that's pretty much how I've spent my life. It's the people that start to unnerve me. I'm pretty shy anyway, and I don't have a lot of people skills. This is the most I've talked to someone I didn't know in my whole life."

"You know me now, young Gibbs. We're so totally not strangers! What do you want to know, tell me. Let's have some girl talk. Do you think Timmy is cute? I used to date him. Nice kisser."

"He's cute. Looks like he's a nice person. You two used to date, really? He doesn't really look like your type." Kelly didn't want to hear that the guy was a good kisser. She wasn't looking to find out first hand. "Not that I'd know what your type was. But he looks so clean cut."

"Looks can be deceiving. It's the good ones who are really freaky in bed." Abby shook her head and laughed. "I'm sorry. You need to get to know us. Just know that you have a buddy here and I'll listen to you anytime you want little Gibbs. Looks like well have plenty of time if your dad really keeps us all locked down here. And as soon as we break out, I'll double check but I don't think Jenny will have a problem with you coming down and me showing you all my babies. That's okay, right Jen?"

"Not at present, Abby. Full lockdown, which limits you to Autopsy and the hallway. Even the elevator is locked down. Did anyone get Jethro some coffee and you some Caf-pow? It could get messy here."

"I have a Caf-Pow keg being delivered, which they'll bring to the front gate and the boys there know where to find me, since I'm not going anywhere. I have a thermos for Gibbs, he'll be well taken care of. I just have to call if we need more. Someone will get it down to us. There must be some agent brave enough."

"Oh, Abby, nobody in or out. No deliveries at present, either. This could prove very interesting.

Jen would move them to one of her personal safe houses tonight, keeping it completely off the grid. There was some reason nobody at NCIS knew about this and until they had the answers, she wouldn't take any chances. This would be kept out of the agency's eye. "Kelly, do you know how your father found out about you? All I heard was that he got very upset and shaky. He never cries—ever—and yet Ducky told me he'd been crying at his desk. We need to have a fact finding discussion when everything is much calmer."

"He said that he got a packet from a friend of his in another agency. It was on his desk, and it had a picture and a phone number. He must have gotten mom, I was reading, and didn't even hear anything. Not until the shots were fired, and even then I just hid. Dad showed up not too long after, and we ended up here."

Jen nodded. Fornell? He was the only one she could think of. "Do you know Tobias Fornell of the FBI, Kelly? Your father isn't known for making friends at other agencies, but he and Fornell have managed to be good friends even though they married the same woman." She wondered if she should have said that, but in the end Kelly wasn't a child.

"I've never heard of him. I just know the couple of agents that have always lived with us. Shelly, she's the most recent one. She's been with us for maybe five or six years. Before that it was Geoff, he was only with us maybe two years. There have been a few people in and out over the years. I didn't have any contact with anyone else." Jen took notes as Kelly spoke.

"No problem, Kelly. We'll need any info you can remember so that we can get to the bottom of this, but we don't need to pressure you, either." Jen squeezed the young woman's arm.

"I'll think about it, see if there was someone that came around that didn't seem to fit with everyone else. Mom might be able to help too. She would know the earlier agents more than I would."

Jen nodded and patted Kelly's arm. "You take care of yourself and your mom right now, honey. Let us take care of the investigating. We'll figure out what happened to keep you away from your father for so long."


Jen moved over to Jethro, needing to give him some support.

"Who is she?" Jenny and Abby were hovering as well and Jethro nodded as DiNozzo brought up the rear. He hit the button to begin isolation procedures before turning back to the group, Tony at his side, McGee lurking over Shannon, who was on one of the metal tables.

"Shannon, Jenny. My wife. Don't start asking questions we can't answer yet."

Ducky whirled around to look at Jethro, who was hugging the younger woman. "Oh, Jethro. Are you sure you don't need any help?"

"Positive." He jerked his head toward Shannon. "Take care of her, Duck."

Ducky looked down at the woman. "Just the shoulder, my dear? I'm Dr. Donald Mallard, but everyone calls me Ducky. It is a pleasure to have the opportunity to meet you, Shannon. Now, let's get you patched up."

"Just the shoulder. It's not still in there doctor, I passed out from the pain, but I'm pretty sure the bullet is in the wall in my bedroom." Shannon sat up straight, giving the doctor more access. "I'm pretty sure I'll be fine. Ducky, a very unusual name, it's a nickname yes? If Jethro trusts you, I do as well. I know he wouldn't bring us to someone who couldn't take care of us properly."

"Yes, Shannon, it is a nickname, a rather embarrassing one from my childhood but I've grown to accept it. Director? I could use your capable hands. McGee? Behave like a gentleman and turn away. Would you care for a drink, Shannon, or some anesthetic?" He'd leave the choice up to her.

"A diet soda would be wonderful, if it's not too much of a bother. And no anesthetic, I don't want to be loopy if Kelly needs me. A pain pill will suffice until I know she's ok." Looking at where Kelly was, it tore her heart up to see her with her father. "I'm pretty tough, I've needed to be patched up on the fly. As long as you're gentle with me Ducky I think I'll survive."


Jethro crossed the room and finally pulled Kelly into a tight hug, knowing she at least was sure of his identity now. "And this beautiful woman is my daughter Kelly. All grown up, hey, baby girl? All grown up on your old man ... And so damn beautiful. You sure you're okay? You don't want the doctor to check you out?"

"I'm fine, Dad." She was blushing, everyone seemed to be looking at her, and she wasn't used to this big a crowd. "The doctor needs to work on Mom, I'm just still trying to come down from all the excitement. We don't get shot at all the time, and it was scary. Everything else on top of it, it's crazy."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.