Gone Fishin'
Chapter 12

Copyright© 2008 by Peter H. Salus

I was first to the office, but not for long. Des was there at about 9:15 and Shirl was in what seemed to be the very next elevator car. I had looked at my office, which really looked "spiffy," and was standing in the doorway of the other office when Shirl arrived.

"You guys have done a super job. This place looks great. It's impossible to believe that we've barely occupied our suite. Now, I'd like you to think about what more we need."

"Well," started Shirl, "You mentioned a map or two. But we need something else for the hall. Does Canberra have a map of Australia with all the CSIRO sites marked? And we need CSIRO propaganda for the table in my office. And maybe a chart or some photos."

"Good ideas."

"How about an arthropoda tree? You know, relationships, like in a textbook," added Des.

"Sounds great. Can you guys do the work?" They both nodded. "Next. Did we do anything about coffee or tea? In fact, can we have a machine and a kettle in here?"

"You mentioned it last week. We've got both a coffee machine and an electric kettle."

"Wonderful, Shirl. And do we have coffee, tea, milk, and sugar?"

"Yep. But nothing fancy. And six mugs and six spoons. We bought the mugs. Des stole the spoons."

"I borrowed them for on campus use from the University facility."

"Right. OK, it's time to get to work. One of you start coffee and fill the kettle. I'm going to sit down in my new office."

About ten minutes later, my phone buzzed. "Hollister."

"This is Shirl. How do you take your coffee?"

"Black and bitter."

"Right."

She brought me a steaming mug. It said "Big Cheese" on it. I laughed. "Do they all say something?"

"Yes. Mine says 'Girl Friday, ' Des' says 'Head Nerd, ' the other three say 'Guest'."

"Great! Now go to your desk and look professional."

I tried to get back to the journal I'd been reading, but after trying the same article twice, I realized that I was too tense and that my coffee was getting cold. I was taking my second sip when the phone buzzed and Shirl announced "Dr. Friedel." I got up and walked to the door as she appeared.

"Welcome to my lair," I said. "Did Shirl offer tea or coffee?"

"Hello ... and yes." She looked around. "You've got nice digs."

"Credit Shirl and Des. I told them what I'd like and they produced this. Take a chair."

"Thanks. Good hiring." Shirl brought a 'Guest' mug and placed it on a corner of my desk.

"Shirl, could you shut the door as you go? And hold all calls?"

"You're wondering why I've hunted you up?"

"Right."

"OK. After meeting you in December, I looked at your dissertation and read two of your papers. And I spoke to Janice."

"Uh-oh."

"She thinks the world of you. So does Kevin. I know the Minister's secretary told you about his intentions in sending you here. Now I'm going to tell you my hopes." She took a sip of her tea; I took the time to finish my now-tepid coffee.

"I've been working for over 25 years. For five of them my office and staff were smaller than what you've got right now. But I had to work on my reputation so that I could convince people that a woman could do 'man's' work. But I've succeeded. Unfortunately, the Northern Territory and Western Australia are still the step-children as far as Canberra's concerned. You're the point of the wedge to do something about that."

I didn't say anything; I was trying to process what I was hearing.

"When you told me about your 'plan' for those two stations at Horseshoe, I saw your ability to make a picture out of fragments. You're young. You've got a Ph.D. You've got a new wife ... What does she do, by the way?"

"She's a sister at Royal Perth. She's certified as a bush nurse and will be teaching that in a few weeks. She's originally from Laverton, but got her degree from Adelaide."

"Sounds good. You're family's from Queensland?"

"Yes. Near Roma. My dad's a pastoralist, my older brother's a vintner."

"Boy! You ought to go into politics!"

"No thanks." Maggie laughed.

"Anyway. I'm going to mention you in a few places. If folks talk to you, be surprized. You met me in December, but I'm not here today." I nodded. "My intention is to make you the Director of the CSIRO for the Territory and Western Australia within the year. I'm going to start by suggesting to Kevin that the other office here in Perth be put in your charge..."

"No!" I interjected. "Charlie Eyre's the acting there. Put him in charge. He can report to me, but I don't want to shunt him aside. He's another of your 'young' guys."

"Hmmm." Maggie pulled a small notebook from her bag. "Charles Eyre?"

"Yes."

She made a note. "Consider it done. That's easy."

"And up a pay grade to go with it."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.