Gone Fishin'
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2008 by Peter H. Salus

After lunch the kids went back to work and I phoned Janice in Canberra.

"Hi, I thought I'd call before the holiday ... Yeah, everything seems OK ... I still need to know what I do about business cards and letterhead ... Right. Just a second. [I covered the phone] Des?"

"Yes?"

"Can you come here?"

"Sure." It was well under a minute.

"If Canberra emails us the templates, can you put your and mine and Shirl's data in place and get cards done? And if we get templates for letterhead and envelopes, can you set up the printers? OK. And, finally, what's our email address?" Des nodded a lot.

"You're hollister, I'm des, and Shirl's shirl at csiro.uwa.au." He went back to the other office.

"Hi, Janice? Sorry. Yes, Des can handle the templates. Our addresses are des, hollister and shirl; all at csiro.uwa.au ... Yeah, he made it easy. OK. Have a good holiday. Bye."

"Des!"

"Janice will be emailing templates for letterhead and business cards. Tomorrow's a holiday, but please make the cards your priority on Thursday."

"Sure thing. And the letterhead?"

"That can wait. Shirl?"

"Yep."

"What time is Dr. Friedel coming?"

"Around 10. Perhaps a bit past."

"Great. I'd really like everything neat and tidy for her."

"Yes, master."

A fellow stuck his head in the door. "Are your Professor Hollister?"

"Yes."

"I'm Alf from the computing center. I was told you needed some networking done."

"I do. But you don't want to talk to me. Des!"

"Yes?"

"There's a bloke ... Alf ... here from the computing center. Could you talk to him?"

"Send him over."

I looked at Alf. "Go next door. Des will explain everything. If you need a signature, I'll do it. If I'm not here, Shirl — who's also next door — will sign. OK?"

"No problem. You just made it easy." He left.

"Is it always like this?" Charlie asked.

"No. Next week should be easy. In fact the next three or four weeks should be easy. This is just trying to get everything set up."

"Waal. I'm tired just listening to you folks. Cattle are easier."

"Insects are even better: small and they don't eat much."

"C'mon. I've heard o' locusts."

"Got me. But locusts only eat a lot because millions and millions travel together and each only eats a bit."

"OK. OK. So, what's next?"

"It's near three. I thought we'd get out around three, drive to the market, buy too much for tomorrow, and then go home. On the way, we need to talk about tomorrow. And, I guess, about Thursday. Or are you staying over till Friday?"

"Nope. We got tickets for Thursday mornin'. An' we'll spend Thursday night in the Alice. We left the Rover in long-term parking at the airport."

"Do you have enough suitcase space?"

"I dunno. We can send the girls out after we're all back."

"Right. Let's lock up here and see how Alf and Des are doing."

Next door, it looked as though Shirl had flattened all the cardboard and stacked it near the door. All the other packing stuff — styrofoam and bubble-paper — was in a large trash bag. Shirl was sitting at her desk, which now had a computer as well as a phone on it. "Can I help you, gentlemen?"

I grinned. "Yes, miss. I'm looking for Des and Alf."

"Des is in his cage; Alf went back to his."

"Des! Can you come out here?"

He appeared in a few seconds. "How's everything?"

"The wireless works from my desk and Shirl's and we can print from each. I haven't tested the Internet connection, yet. Alf suggested I wait till he had tested at his end. I haven't tested your machine or your printer yet."

"My printer?"

"I thought you might have stuff you didn't want us to see, so you've got your own, as well as the common one. The one in here is colour; yours is black-and-white."

"And these are all wireless?"

"Yes. 11n, if you know the numbers."

"Crypotology to me. But as long as you do, it's OK."

"I'll have to show you how to print on each machine. But that can wait till Thursday."

"Right. Shirl. Do we have blank paper?"

"I got a box — that's 10 reams."

"Well, it looks like we're ready to roll. Can you both be here about 9 or 9:30 on Thursday? So we look professional when Dr. Friedel arrives."

"Sure. No problem." Almost a chorus.

"OK. You guys check everything and then get out of here. I'll see you Thursday."

"Right. So long, Charlie."

And we left for the market.

In the car I asked Charlie about the holiday. "Waal," he said. "Maddy talked about drivin' up the coast and lookin' around. But when I looked at the map, it looked like mostly sand and small towns."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.