Big Business - Cover

Big Business

Copyright© 2008 by Old 1 Eye

Chapter 2

After the Ritters moved in, the bathroom, laundry and first aid kit got a work out.

Everybody ate a good supper, Janie was a good cook, and went to bed early.

The next morning, after breakfast and fresh bandages for Amy and Tex, Jr., everybody got started to work. Tex, Jr. and Abel hopped right on the land breaking, Janie got right to work on the house (I thought it was fairly clean, but you know women), and Amy, Linda and I got to work on some repairs to the house and sheds that I figured I wouldn't get around to until much later.

When we stopped for lunch, Linda asked if she could talk with me in private. "Sure, Sweetie," I answered her. We had become friends during her time here.

"Mr. Lee," she started. I knew it would be serious, she usually called me Bobby. "Will you still need me to work for you?"

"Linda, do you have a better job offer?" I asked her.

"No, Sir, I just thought that with the Ritters living here, you wouldn't need me anymore," she answered.

"Linda," I explained. "Janie and her family need a safe place to be. I think their stay will only be temporary. We may have to adjust your job a bit to accommodate them, so they can feel like they are paying their own way. But, yes, I would like you to continue to work here. I would like you to stay with me as long as you will, you are smart and very capable, plus you aren't lazy, and give a day's work for a day's pay."

She smiled at that and we went in the house.

Janie had a good dinner fixed (In Georgia and throughout the south, the three meals are breakfast, dinner and supper. The big meal is served in the middle of the day. The reference is changing as we are exposed to other people's terminology via television and radio.) and we all ate heartily.

We rested for about 30 minutes and got back to work. I was working on the roof of the tractor shed, and Amy and Linda were stepping and fetching for me.

We worked 'til around dark, about 4:30 this time of the year, and had leftovers for supper.

After everyone cleaned up from supper and took their baths, one bathroom was being stretched a bit with this many people, We had a discussion of the situation.

I started out, "Thanks, for your help today. I want you to keep up with your time so I can know how much to pay you."

Janie interrupted, "No, Mr. Lee. You are feeding and housing us."

I knew this was what would be said, so I had a plan b all ready to roll out. "Okay, this is my final offer. I will take what you and Abel work for your room and board, but I want to pay you for what Amy and Tex, Jr. work. You all can divide it up any way you see fit, but I am paying you for working."

Janie wasn't too happy about it, but I could tell that the kids were. I know they wanted to have something to buy Christmas presents with.

This place had about 600 arable acres, so we were farming approximately 50 for produce and 150 for row crops, with the rest in rotational cover crops. If I found that I could farm more produce, then I could easily double my acreage.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.