Life Is a Soap Opera - Cover

Life Is a Soap Opera

Copyright© 2008 by HLD

Chapter 23

Bailey felt like her stomach was on fire.

She had been drifting in and out of consciousness since the night before. Her sister had finally taken her to the ER first thing in the morning, then called her parents.

Through the haze, she refused any treatment other than ibuprofen.

The pain will go away, she told herself. It always does.

But it hadn't. If anything, it got worse. She heard her parents and the doctors talking. Her mother pleaded with her to sign over power of attorney to them, but she refused.

"Not until I talk to Gabe," she said. Even though the pain was sometimes unbearable, she held out until she could see him.

They had moved her to a semi-private room. There was no one in the other bed. Her father had arrived a little later, but she told him the same things that she had told her mother, her sister and the doctor.

She was running a fever. The panic attacks didn't help. Her family never left her side, even when she yelled and screamed at them. One at a time, they snuck downstairs to get something from the cafeteria or a quick nap on a couch in the lobby, but they were always there for her. Bailey appreciated that, she really did. But she needed Gabriel first.

The sun was going down when the door burst open.

Gabriel stood there, a wild look in his eyes. Time seemed to stand still. She smiled feebly through her tears.

"Bailey ... oh, my god!" he rushed over to her bed.

His fingers wrapped around hers. Bailey began to cry. Relief. Fear. Sadness. She was overcome with emotion.

He kissed her forehead. His lips felt cool against her skin.

"I'm here, sweetheart," he whispered over and over in her ear.

"I'm sorry, Gabe," she sobbed and buried her face in his shoulder. She tried to pull him close to her, but the pain in her abdomen shot through her body again.

"Sorry? For what?" he asked, confused.

"I'm not ... I can't..." Bailey started to panic again. Her breaths came shorter. Tears streamed down her cheeks. She squeezed Gabe's hand as if her life depended on it.

"It's okay, Bailey," he said, stroking her hair calmly.

"Don't let them ... promise me..." She couldn't continue and burst into tears again. She began to hyperventilate.

"Would you excuse us for a moment?" Gabe asked her family. They solemnly filed out of the room and closed the door.

He sat on the edge of the bed and held her close to him. She cried for a long time. Partly from the pain. Partly from fear. Partly because deep down she knew she could no longer keep her promise to him.

"What's ... Bailey, look at me ... What is it, sweetheart?"

"Promise me you won't let them ... promise me, Gabe ... Promise me you won't let them give me a hysterectomy."

"What are you talking about, Bailey?" She could tell he was straining to keep his voice even.

"I heard them talking, Gabe," she whispered, choking back sobs. "I heard Daddy and the doctor say they're going to do it ... they're going to take my ovaries."

"No one is taking your ovaries," he said, his tone reassuring. A little bit. "No one is having a hysterectomy today. Everything is going to be fine, Bailey. I promise."

Those were the words she needed to hear. From the man she needed to say them. With a great effort, her breathing became regular. She took deep, calming breaths.

"I'm going to have your baby," she vowed.

"Yes, you are, sweetheart," he said soothingly. "Yes, you are."

Gabriel wiped the tears from her eyes. He smiled and she knew everything was going to work out.

His touch was gentle. She felt safe with him.

Gabriel.

Her guardian angel.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.