A True Tale
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2008 by acolodude

The old man finished the second plate of food and picked up his goblet. He made a sour looking face when he found it empty. It was quickly refilled and several men around the table apologized. The old man waved off the apologies and began to speak again.

The next day Duke Waverly walked in while they were eating breakfast. He had Lord Cee and two other men dressed just like Lord Cee with him along with Pyrogenator who was followed by another man in robes. Lord Cee announced Duke Waverly, one of the other Lords started to draw his sword but the second Lord who looked like he could be Lord Cee's brother stopped him. It was clearly due to the fact that no one stopped eating or acknowledged the Duke.

Duke Waverly stood next to Deke and Keal and began to speak. He asked for their assistance in locating the missing women and eradicating whom or whatever had taken them. A reward for safe return was promised and other compensations could be arranged.

Deke was still eating when Keal finished. So Keal said that they would think about it discuss it and get back to him shortly.

The new guy in robes almost in a shout said "The Duke does not ask! He commands and is OBEe ugh" his last word which started as an even louder shout for emphasis was cut short by the multiple items that struck him in the head and face. The two metal cups were the heaviest items that hit him, but the small bag of coins did the most damage.

The good thing, nobody drew any weapons and Lord Cee apologized for the man's rude outburst. Tia recovered the cups, wooden board that a block of cheese was being cut on, and the bag of coins which belonged to Kay-Lor.

Deke had finished eating and turned to Duke Waverly telling him that he did not hold him responsible for the idiot as he pointed to the now recovering man in robes. But the warning had been given. Deke emphasized the group was not from these lands and were not subject to its rules. They would not cause trouble but would not be trifled with either.

Duke Waverly smiled and said that it was painfully obvious that they all were very experienced and skilled warriors and he agreed that only a fool would challenge them. But he said that he regretfully must ask for our answer now since he would have to send for help else where if we did not agree to accept the mission.

Deke smiled and said that they would look into things and give him a report at the end of the day. Would they be able to meet with him at his place or did he prefer to return here after the evening meal.

Duke Waverly laughed and said that he would rather we join him for the evening meal at his Palace and we could give our report then, if that would be acceptable to us.

Deke stood and offered his hand on the deal. Both men shook hands and Duke Waverly asked if he could send Lord Cee brothers. He introduced Lord Asron Cee and Lord Deron Cee captains of the two companies of Noble Order.

Deke looked at Keal and both nodded to each other before Deke agreed to allow them to join the group.

Keal asked Duke Waverly who the two in robes were.

Duke Waverly answered they were from the Noble Order Wizard's Guild.

Keal said the next time one of them crossed our path he would kill him and any with him.

Duke Waverly replied "your warning is heard and known"

Both were looking at the two wizards. The wizards seemed very upset at Keal's threat and shocked at Duke Waverly's acceptance of it. The third Lord spoke asking why he was not invited to accompany our group. Duke Waverly introduced Lord Tanner Bron telling him that he had already embarrassed himself once and would not be responsible for his suicide by stupidity. Everyone laughed except Lord Bron.

Deke and Keal shook Duke Waverly's hand before he left with Lord Bron and the two wizards. Both Lord Cee's stayed and were offered seats at the table.

Deke asked the two to bring the group up to date on what they knew, what they suspected, what the rumors were saying, and anything else they could think of.

The man pushed away from the table stood and thanked them all for the wonderful meal. Then said he needed a nap. As he turned and began to walk away one of the listeners asked when he would continue the tale.

The old man answered over his shoulder without looking back after lunch if I am invited.

Everyone that had been listening laughed and loudly stated he was more than welcome to join them for lunch.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.