Along the Finke - Cover

Along the Finke

Copyright© 2008 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 19

Gordy

I called my parents and Weena called her dad before we went to bed. I had a feeling that Thursday was going to be hectic. I also remembered something we'd overlooked: mail.

When we got downstairs for breakfast, I asked Maddy: "How do you get mail?"

"Oh, we got a big box at the post office an' whenever someone comes into town, they collect it. An' they drop off the outgoin'."

"Charlie," I said, "That's what you want to do at the bank. If anything comes to us, we'll send it on, but the easiest thing is to have it all go to the PO. Maddy?"

"Yes?"

"Where do you bank?"

"Same place. Henderson knows me."

"Well, that should make things fairly simple."

"Yup."

Weena was both quiet and pensive. I had suspicions about the afternoon.


We were at the bank before 10, and Henderson was awaiting us — though I think he was taken aback by Maddy's presence. He "Good-Morning"-ed us into his office and seated us around the conference table.

"Well, Mr. Grant [I could see Charlie squirm], the Territorial Court acted right away, so poor Mr. Vincent's things are all yours now." He handed over a sheet of paper. "I think I told you it was about three-quarters of a million [Maddy gasped], but it came to a bit more." He looked at his copy. "To be exact, after paying the hotel and sundry costs, there was $767,890.35. The Court instructed the Bank to retain half of one percent for their costs. That came to $3839.45. I had drawn $75,000 to place in your checking account. So that we are currently holding $689,050.90 on your behalf. And I'm awaiting your instructions."

"Waal," said Charlie. "C'n I ask some questions?"

"Of course."

"You know my lease runs north of Mrs. Morris'. I was wonderin' whether I could designate her as my — whaddya call it? -- co-signatory on my checking account. In case I have an accident, or sumptin'. Then I need to know the safest way to keep — say — half a million of that money. In the states I'd put it in Treasury bills or government bonds. They pay less, but they're safe."

"That would be true here as well," said Henderson, who had been taking notes.

"I'd like to put another $125,000 in a savings account, where it can earn a bit, an' put the rest in the checking account. I've spent near $20,000 since I was here — on the cattle and the train, mostly, though I made a bit sellin' 50 o' the heifers." He leaned back in his chair. "An' I wanna change my address from Gordy and Weena's in Perth to Mrs. Morris' post office box. We'll be goin' there before lunch to straighten that out."

"That's fine. I can enter her phone number, too."

"Great. Now, the last thing is a credit line. I've got a heap o' things down there that need to git done. I want to make sure thet if someone calls an' asks if I'm good for — say -- $50,000, the bank says that I'm no risk."

"No problem at all."

"Oh, one more. I'm goin' to the US Consulate in Perth in the New Year and arrange for my government pension to come here. Is that OK? And can you give me the instructions I'll need?"

"No problem there, either," said Henderson. "Now, if you'll excuse me for a few minutes, I'll get things started. And I'll be back with someone who knows about savings and investments." And he read his notes back at us. Charlie nodded and Henderson went out. Before we had a chance to talk, there was a knock and a very young woman stuck her head in. "Coffee or tea?" she asked. We all said coffee and she withdrew her head.

"I hate you, Charlie Grant!" burst Maddy.

"Yup. You thought I was funnin' you. Now you know the money's really there an' you're gonna have signin' on it. Better not put extry zeroes on them checks."

"Look," I said, "The two of you are what I'd think of as 'comfortable, ' you're nowhere near rich. So you've got to be sensible. Charlie tucking away half-a-million's safe and sensible. Spendin' whatever it takes to make your leases into somethin' special, makes sense, too. You know, in Sydney or Perth you'd barely get a real nice place for that half million."

"Really?" asked Maddy.

"Really," said Weena. "When you visit us, you'll see what things cost in the West."

There was a knock and the woman brought coffee. I thanked her.

"Maddy, where's the post office?" I asked.

"Less'n five minutes from here."

"OK. Then that'll be our next stop. Then lunch, back to the hotel for the LandRover, and then Charlie and I are off to the CSIRO. Can you girls keep out of trouble for the afternoon?"

"Yes, O lord and master," said Weena. Maddy just looked frazzled.

Henderson returned, trailed by a woman around Maddy's age. "Mrs. Stevens is our senior investment officer," he began. "I'm going to have Mrs. Morris sign the cards, and that will be all we need to put her on your accounts." He handed two cards and a pen to Maddy and she signed where he indicated. He then collected the cards and pen, shook hands with the four of us and left. As soon as he'd reclosed the door, Mrs. Stevens sighed.

"Pompous ass," she said. "Hi, I'm Connie Stevens — really. My parents loved "Hawaiian Eye" on the telly. Anyway, let me know who you folks are and we'll see what I can do for you."

We introduced ourselves, Weena and I were just "friends from Perth" who were here in case something needed to be witnessed. Connie nodded. Then Charlie took over.

"It seems I've inherited a land and water lease down in the Petermanns and about 500 cattle and three-quarters of a million dollars. I'd like to put about half a million in a safe place — in the States that'd be government bonds or treasury bills — and about a hundred thousand or so someplace where it'll earn money, but I c'n get at it. What do you suggest?"

Connie tapped her teeth with the end of her pen for a minute. Then she said: "I presume you trust Mrs. Morris. I don't want to get personal, but we're talking about a significant sum."

"Yup. I expect Mrs. Morris to become Mrs. Grant in three to six months." Maddy was deep red.

"Ah. I see. Well, I'd suggest that you put that half-million into guaranteed bonds. The Australian Office of Financial Management permits investments, and $500,000 is the minimum. The Commonwealth Bank is one of the authorized vendors. The interest varies, but right now it's over 6%, so you'd be guaranteed at least $30,000 per year." She pulled a pamphlet from her folder and passed it to Charlie. "Read that later. If that's agreeable, I can have the papers prepared for you to sign later today or tomorrow."

"I'm sure that'll be fine. You go 'head with the papers. Will I need Gordy or Weena?"

"No, just you and Mrs. Morris — I presume she'll be the beneficiary."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.