Along the Finke
Chapter 7

Copyright© 2008 by Peter H. Salus

Charlie

That Severin feller had given me a lot to chew on. I could tell that he knew cattle, by the way he talked. Some of the words were strange, but you could get the feel from him that he knew what he were talking 'bout.

After we finished eating, we ended up on the porch — what Gordy called the veranda — when a group of these real strange things sort of paraded in front of us. They kinda looked like hairballs with legs.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Emus," Weena answered. "There aren't many around here, because it's so dry. But they've got food and water here in the station, so there's no reason for them to leave."

"Look like grey-brown dustmops to me."

"Some folks like the meat," She answered.

"Ayup. I'll have to try me some."

After our food settled some, we got back in the car — they called it the rover, but it looked like a big jeep to me. Gordy filled the gas tank (petrol) and topped the coolant again. I climbed in back — I wanted to think about what that feller had said. I napped and thought for the entire four hours of the trip back.

Gordy sure had a lead foot, but there weren't much traffic and it seemed a lot faster returning than our trip out this morning. It seemed like it weren't long at all when we pulled up in front of the hotel.

"I could use a good shower," Weena said, as we pulled ourselves from the rover.

"Ayup," I agreed, as I stretched the kinks out of my back. Maybe that trip was a mite longer than I thought. Least, my body thought so!

Gordy held the hotel door open for Weena, and as I followed, he said, "How about we meet you in an hour or so for dinner, and we can discuss where to go from here."

I nodded, silently agreeing. Actually, I was more interested at the moment in getting to my room. My bladder was about to bust.

The shower felt good. And by the time I made my way to the hotel lobby, I were like a new man. Hell, I'd even dusted my boots off.

Weena was already in the lobby when I got myself out of the elevator.

"Gordy's getting us a table at the restaurant down the street." She announced, when she saw me coming towards her.

I smiled and answered, "Sounds good to me."

We didn't talk on the walk down. It was just getting to be dark and starting to cool off a bit. The sky was clear of any clouds, I hadn't seen a cloud in the sky for the past few days, and it looked like it wasn't gonna change any time soon. And even though it weren't dark yet, you could see a few stars already startin' to twinkle.

"Gonna be a pretty evening," I said, as we stopped in front of the restaurant.

Weena nodded, and held the door open for me.

"Ahh there you two are. We should have a table any moment." Gordy said, as we entered.

We were soon seated and our drink orders taken. Gordy asked, "Charlie, you have any idea where you want to go from here?"

I'd been thinkin' long and hard on the trip back on that very subject. I still didn't understand all of what was going on, but I had a good idea of the big picture.

"Gordy," I answered, "I guess mostly I need to take care of the rest of that bank business, find out more about where this ranch is located, and pro'lly give this Morris lady a call. It pro'lly wouldn't hurt much if'n we went back down to the stockyards, either. That fella there be able to help with getting them cattle to wherever the hell they gotta go."

Gordy didn't say anything, but did nod his head. 'Sides, my steak arrived, and the grumbling in my stomach let me know where my top priority for the moment was.

I think all of us were a tired. I know, I'm not as young as I used to be. I was looking forward to getting my tired body into bed.

"I think we need to adjourn until tomorrow," Weena said, as she stifled a yawn.

We all agreed, and shortly I found myself crawling into bed. I don't remember my head hitting the pillow.

As is usual with me, I was awake at sunrise. A quick shower, a lick and promise to what remained of my hair, and I was off to find some breakfast. I didn't expect to find Gordy and Weena up this early, and my expectations were met. I was the only one seated in the small hotel restaurant. They had just opened up, and the only thing available was coffee ... or at least what these folks here passed off as coffee.

"You ordered yet?"

I looked up to see Weena walking towards me.

"Nope, still workin' on my first cup of joe."

Weena gave me a strange look as she sat down, and then asked, "Joe?"

With a chuckle, I answered, "American slang for coffee."

Still with the puzzled look on her face, she mumbled, "And you Yanks think we talk strangely!"

I nodded, and then asked, "Where's Gordy this morning?"

"Gordy's too civilized to be up this early. He mumbled something about he would be down in a few minutes."

Weena didn't give me a chance to answer, she changed the subject, "You decided on what you are going to do with the cattle?"

"Pretty much; way I see it, getting things done up at the bank needs to be done first, then figuring out how to move the cattle comes next."

I could tell by the expression on her face that she was thinking. After a second or two, Weena answered, "Charlie, it be best if you give that Mrs. Morris a call. She be able to give you some practical advice that will help in all of this."

I thought on it for a minute, and came to the conclusion she was probably right. After all, the woman raised cattle here. If'n she would help, it could only make what I had to do that much easier.

"Weena, you be right there. I'll give it another hour or so and then give the woman a call."

Weena laughed, "Charlie, if you think you will be disturbing her, you'd be wrong. She's on a station. I would bet she has been up and about for a while now. Probably, if you wait too much longer, she be out and about and you won't be able to reach her."

I nodded, stood and then said, "Order me some breakfast when they get around to askin. I'll see if'n I can reach this gal."

I pulled out the phone number the fella had given me yesterday as I walked into the lobby area. There were a young feller there behind the desk.

When I reached the desk, I handed him the piece of paper with the phone number on it, and said, "I'm wonderin' if'n you could help me. I need to call this number."

The fella glanced at it, nodded his head, and then pointing to the lobby phone, said, "I'll dial it for you, you can take it over there."

I nodded and walked over to the chair by the phone. As I sat down, I could see the fella talking on the phone. He looked my way nodded, and then the phone next to me rang.

"Hello, this here is Charlie, and a feller yesterday said you be able to help me."

Over the phone came a rough laugh, but there were not problem hearing that it were a woman. After a second she answered, "Yea, mate, he called me last evening. He said you got yourself a mess of cattle up in Alice Springs and need to get them down here."

"That's 'bout the size of it. Course, I ain't got a clue where I'm supposed to be takin 'em."

She chuckled, "Well, we got that figured out too. You got the lease just north of me. Has to be that one, it's the only one near here that ain't being used. How many head?"

"Near 600."


Gordy

Weena waved at me as I got to the entry to the breakfast room. I sat down, ordered, and she said: "Charlie's on the phone with Maddy. I've no idea whether this'll be quick or not. But it'll be important."

"No problem. It's not even 8, and I'd bet Henderson toddles in between 9:30 and 10."

"Good. That'll give us time for a big chore."

"Big chore?"

"Laundry. Got many clean clothes?"

I shook my head. "OK. You get to the bloke at the desk and ask about a nearby Washateria or Laundrette or whatever they call it here in the Alice."

I got up and learned to my surprise that there were two washing machines and a dryer in the hotel. By the time I got back to the table Weena had eaten my eggs and toast. I ordered more. Charlie was still on the phone, smiling now, as I told Weena about the "facilities."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.