What's Mine - Cover

What's Mine

Copyright © 2007 by Autumn Writer

Chapter 5

"Of course, we have a lot of fixing up to do," Les McAllister said. "With you on board, we'll get right to it. This company will be back to where it should be. You'll be a big part of it—my right hand."

"I have a lot of fixing up of my own to do," Tom replied, sitting across the desk from his future boss. "This new job will be the start. I admit that the 'Assistant Controller' title put me off for a while. I've had an attitude adjustment since then, thanks to a few special people."

"I thought that you might, Tom" Les said. "The 'Assistant' part is just temporary. I told Larry that you might be coming with us and he can't wait. He'll stay in his job long enough to give you a chance to get your feet on the ground. Then, I'm going to move him to Operations. The Controller's job will be yours."

"It's more than I could have asked for, Les," Tom admitted as he felt a good feeling that had been missing for a long time. "It was never that in the back of my mind. I just wanted to come here and do a good job for you."

"In two years we'll move you up to Vice President—with a stock option, of course."

"I want to give the firm plenty of notice," Tom said. "We're in the middle of a big job and I want to show Jerry..."

"I've already spoken with Charles Bentley," McAllister countered. "He said that two weeks would be enough."

Tom shrugged his shoulders and allowed himself a grin. "It looks like the bases are covered."

"I'll tell you a secret," Les confided. "It was always going to be the Controller's position. I just wanted to make sure that you were more interested in coming with the Company than in the title."

Tom's cheeks puffed out as he let out his breath slowly.

"I almost blew it," he thought to himself. "It was right in front of my eyes and I would never have known it."

"I knew that you would, eventually," Les went on. "I think I know what kind of man you are." Les rose and extended his hand. Tom reached out and grasped it. "Let's go out and get some lunch," Les suggested.

"Sounds great, Les. Maybe Larry would like to go, too."

"Good idea!" Les exclaimed. "I'll go find him." Tom was alone for the moment and he stole a peek into the office across the hall that was soon to be his. It didn't have a view of the river and the cathedral, like Keith's new office did. There was just the Factory Annex that housed the machine shop for the molding dies. It was fine with Tom because it meant that he was near where he was needed and fit in.

He thought about how happy Kathy would be when he told her the news when he got home. Things at home were better. They patched things up after the incident on Easter Sunday. They accepted that the Partnership was out of reach. Tom promised to find a new job. Once they decided that, a lot of things changed for the better.

"It was there all the time. Sometimes a guy just gets lucky. I'm lucky to know what's mine."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.