Honkytonk Hero
Chapter 13

Copyright© 2008 by Joe J

Historical Sex Story: Chapter 13 - A coming of age story with a twist. Addle-brained Tommy works down at the feed store, stacking Purina and sweeping the floor. A Vietcong rocket scrambled his brains so thoroughly that was all he was capable of... or was it? NOW ON BOOKAPY!

Caution: This Historical Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Fa/Fa   Romantic   Harem   First   Slow  

Tommy smiled in relief when Rita told him he was merely restrained instead of paralyzed. He would have figured it out on his own as soon as he was completely awake anyway, but knowing early saved him from any more panic.

“Is everyone else okay?” he asked worriedly.

“Everyone else is just fine, Sweetie. Conchita went for coffee, but she’ll be back in a minute. Harold took Caroline home to get some rest. They’ll be back later today. Margaret went to Fort Sam to fetch your doctor from there. She said she’d bring him back at gun point if necessary.”

Tommy was smiling at what Rita said about Margie when a nurse came scampering into the room to answer the call button.

“Good morning, Mister Bledsoe, and Happy New Year. I’m Nurse Lopez. You are in the Intensive Care Unit of the Central Texas Regional Hospital in Brownwood. Let’s see what the doctor ordered for when you regained consciousness.”

She unhooked his chart from the end of his bed and scanned it quickly. Then she hung the chart back on the footboard.

“Okie-dokie artichokie! Time to unhook you from the bed,” she said cheerfully.

Nurse Lopez’s good humor was infectious. She joked and teased Tommy the entire time she fussed over him. Rita Fricke also smiled indulgently as she watched the nurse take Tommy’s vital signs. She and Theresa Lopez had been talking all morning as they waited for Tommy to come around. Theresa had eased her and Conchita’s worries. She was easy to talk to, and listened in amazement as Rita told her Tommy’s story.

Soon enough, Nurse Lopez cranked up the head of the bed, and Tommy was sitting up, sipping from a plastic cup filled with shaved ice and water. Connie was back by then, her relief palpable that Tommy was conscious and alert. Her eyes were red-rimmed from tiredness and crying. Tommy took her hand and reassured her that, except for a headache and blurry vision in his right eye, he was feeling just fine.

Rita left the room to call Harold to tell him Tommy was awake, and Nurse Lopez went about her rounds, leaving Tommy and Connie alone. Connie pulled her chair closer to the bed and kissed Tommy on the lips.

“I have never been so frightened in my life as I was when you got hurt last night, Baby. If it hadn’t been for Rita, I think I would have had a nervous breakdown,” she said softly.

Tommy pulled her head down onto his chest and gently stroked her glossy black hair.

“I think there must be a magnet in my head that attracts stuff to it,” he said lightly, “I’m going to have the doctors check for that, first thing.”

Despite herself, Connie giggled and hugged him tighter. Even in a situation as unpleasant as this one, Tommy found a way to make her laugh. The bravery he’d shown last night humbled her. She knew for a fact that neither she nor anyone else she’d ever met would have acted that unselfishly. Connie (she no longer thought of herself as Conchita) sighed and snuggled closer to him, mindful not to jostle him too much.

Margie Wilcox and Doctor Peter Giles walked up to the ICU nurses station shortly after one in the afternoon on New Years Day. Margie sagged against Peter in relief when the pretty thirty-something Hispanic nurse told her that Tommy was awake, responsive and acting incredibly normal, all things considered. Peter patted Margie on the arm reassuringly as he identified himself, and asked to see the doctor on duty.

Nurse Lopez paged the intern who had drawn emergency room duty for the holiday as she covertly eyed the distinguished-looking neurosurgeon. She ramped up her considerable charm and turned in on Doctor Giles while they waited. In the fifteen minutes it took the intern to arrive, Theresa Lopez had ascertained that Giles was recently divorced, unhappily single and bored with his life. What he needed, she decided, was something hot, spicy and Mexican. Margie thought she was going to have to throw water on them when the intern walked up, just to get them refocused on Tommy.

The intern was quite surprised that a high powered neurosurgeon would travel all the way from San Antonio on a holiday to examine the young cowboy. Giles complimented the intern for the fine job he’d done stitching up the scalp wound. Only an area the size of a quarter in Tommy’s scalp had been shaved, and the six stitches closing the wound were small and tight knit. After a quick look at the wound, Giles gently teased Tommy.

“Lieutenant Bledsoe, I’m disappointed that you’ve damaged the plate I put in your head. Do you know how expensive titanium is?”

Tommy caught onto Doctor Giles’s joking tone and shot right back.

“I’ll pay for a new one when you remove the magnet that keeps pulling metal things to my head.”

Of course, Giles’s joking manner was his way of getting Tommy talking. Giles listened carefully for signs of slurring as he shined his penlight into Tommy’s eyes. Tommy’s speech was no worse than Doctor Giles remembered. His pupils reacted equally to the light, but his right eye tracked slightly slower than his left. It was the same story all down the right side of Tommy’s body. His grip strength on that side was weaker, and his reflexes were diminished. All in all, Giles reflected, Tommy was in about the same shape as when he was dismissed from the hospital. The bullet’s impact and the resulting seizure had effectively erased the nine months of slow healing that had happened to his brain since he was discharge from Brooke Medical Center. That was certainly not good, but it could have been far worse.

Giles very professionally pulled the intern aside and explained his findings. The intern appreciated the professional courtesy, and asked Giles to annotate Tommy’s chart with what he’d found. Truth be told, the intern and Nurse Lopez were both relieved by Giles’s visit, because they were ill equipped to treat a major brain trauma. Of course, Theresa Lopez had other reasons to appreciate Giles’ visit, especially after the private chat they ostensibly had about Tommy’s care. By the time Giles and Margie left, Theresa had accepted the neurosurgeon’s invitation to spend a few days in San Antonio as his guest.

Tommy hadn’t missed the flirtatious interaction between Doctor Giles and Nurse Lopez. When she walked back into the room, Tommy started teasing her.

“So Terri, when is he taking you out?” Tommy asked with a wicked grin.

Theresa laughed and gently ruffled Tommy’s hair.

“Week after next,” she answered, “but I’m only going out with him to thank him for seeing you on a holiday.”


A slightly different conversation was happening in Margaret Wilcox’s big Thunderbird as it rocketed down State Road 931.

“Thanks for doing this, Pete, I really appreciate it,” Margie said.

“Not a problem, Margie, I’m happy Bledsoe wasn’t any worse than he was. By the way, who was that striking black haired woman leaving his room when we arrived? She looked familiar somehow.” Doctor Giles said.

Margie laughed and shot him a look.

“Jesus, Pete, you’ve developed a one track mind since your divorce. She looked familiar because she is Conchita Delgado, the actress. You won’t have any luck with her, I’m afraid, she’s in love with Tommy.”

Pete’s eyebrows went up in surprise.

“Of course,” Giles said, snapping his fingers. “I’ve seen three or four of her movies on late night television. She’s not Katharine Hepburn, but she has a certain appeal. Wow, our young lieutenant seems to be doing very well for himself. I thought the young woman he saved was his girl friend.”

“Actually, Tommy and Caroline, that’s the girl’s name, barely get along. Tommy was just being Tommy. He is quite an amazing young man, no matter what criteria you use. He has overcome so much adversity, that I don’t have many concerns about him getting over this latest setback.”

Giles looked at her questioningly as she went on about Bledsoe. Her voice contained something else besides admiration. Margie glanced sideways and blushed when she caught his look. She quickly changed the subject before he could ask her anything else.


Rita Fricke’s brow darkened when Harold returned by himself later that afternoon. She was all set to express her anger, when Harold defused it by holding up his hand.

“Relax, Rita Maude. If Caroline doesn’t want to be here, that’s her business. She has a right to be upset, because she faced her mortality last night, the same way I did on Omaha Beach. She is also mortified that she treated him so badly and he still did something like this for her. Let her work all that out for herself,” Harold said firmly.

Rita’s frown immediately vanished as her husband spoke. As his words sank in, all the emotions she’d been holding in check for the last fifteen hours came flooding through. She gave a gasping sob and stepped into Harold’s open arms. Harold held her and rocked her gently as she cried. That seemed to be his job today, as he had done the same thing for his daughter. When Rita regained her composure, she sent Harold into Tommy’s room and headed to the ladies room to freshen up.

Tommy was happy to see Harold, happy in general, and specifically happy, because he was worried about Momma Rita. After they exchanged pleasantries, Tommy voiced his concerns.

“Mister Harold, can you take Momma home so she can get some rest? I’m fine now, so she doesn’t need to be here worrying over me. Doctor Giles says I should be able to go home tomorrow, and Connie said she would come and get me. I’m sorry I’ll miss tomorrow and Saturday, but he says I can go back to work on Monday.”

Harold nodded and held out his hand for Tommy to shake.

“I’ll do just that, Tommy-Boy, and I sure want to thank you for what you did.”

Tommy clasped Harold’s hand firmly and shrugged dismissively.

“Heck, Mister Harold, I only did what I knew you’d have done if you had been facing the right way. You taught me that a man takes care of his family, no matter what.”

Rita caught the tail end of the conversation as she walked through the door.

“Like father like son,” she said as she kissed them both on the cheek.

Connie Delgado and Theresa Lopez were yakking at the nurses’ station while Tommy said his goodbyes to the Frickes. They were waiting on an orderly so Tommy could be moved to a regular room on the second floor. Connie was going up with him for a while and catching a ride home later. While he was being examined by Doctor Giles, Connie had made a phone call for Tommy. Betty Lou was thrilled with the news that Tommy was doing so well. In turn, Betty Lou called Becky Dierdorf and passed on the glad tidings.

Tommy was snug in a semi-private room on the second floor of the hospital by four o’clock. The second bed in the room was empty. At five, an orderly brought Tommy supper. Regardless of what else ailed Tommy, his appetite was just fine, so the friendly orderly snuck in a couple of extra deserts for Connie and him.

Just after supper, Tommy started getting visitors. The Crawfords stopped by for a few minutes, along with the Salazars. The two buddies and their wives were going to dinner at a new restaurant they’d heard about. Betty Lou showed up with Regina, Melody, Bucky and Becky Dierdorf right before Ben, Ramon and their wives departed. The newcomers all crowded around Tommy’s bed, everyone talking at once. Everyone except Bucky also kissed him on the lips. Connie watched it all in bemused good humor. She knew she wasn’t his only woman, and she was fine with that. She knew Tommy had it in his unique character to love them all equally.

Nurse Lopez walked in to tell Tommy goodnight as soon as her shift ended at seven. She did a double take at the five women grouped around his bed. All of the women were unconsciously touching him as they talked. Tommy saw her standing at the door and waved her in to make introductions.

“Nurse Terry, these are my friends. That’s Betty Lou; this is her daughter Regina and Regina’s best friend Melody. This is my friend Becky; she is studying to become a nurse, too. This guy is my best friend Bucky.”

Theresa exchanged greetings with everyone and told Tommy she’d see him in the morning before he was discharged. As soon as she was out of the room, Nurse Lopez shook her head in wonder. It was obvious to her that Tommy had a relationship past just being friends with all four of the new women she’d just met. Too bad she wasn’t the sharing type, she thought, or she’d be right there among them.

Betty Lou flipped up the third seat of her station wagon to make room for Connie, and they all headed back to Brantley at eight-thirty. Tommy had given Connie his truck keys, so Betty Lou dropped her off at the VFW hall to pick it up.

At eleven the next morning, Tommy was finally released from the hospital. The ward doctor had written him a prescription for a weeks worth of Darvon, and admonished him to take it easy for a week or so. Tommy had no trouble telling the doctor he would do just that, because his body still ached all over.

Connie had returned at nine that morning, so Tommy didn’t have to wait for a ride home. An orderly pushed him out the door in a wheelchair and Connie drove up to the front of the hospital so he could hop into his truck. They drove home in near silence, their relationship mature enough where constant conversation wasn’t necessary. Tommy sat in the passenger seat with his hand on her thigh as her strong legs pumped the foot pedals. Connie had dressed up for him in a slightly above the knee skirt and a nice v-neck sweater. She knew she looked wholesomely sexy, just the way Tommy liked.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.