Second Chance - Cover

Second Chance

Copyright© 2008 by Coaster2

Chapter 31

The New Year's party had been a lot of fun. Bonnie and Brent had looked forward to meeting more of their neighbors and townspeople and they weren't disappointed. They danced together for the very first time. They sang Auld Lang Syne with gusto, and saluted the New Year with a champagne toast and a kiss. It would be the start of a fresh new year, celebrating their union and their family.

They had walked to the community centre for the party. It was a cold, crisp night with several inches of snow on the ground. The sky was clear and the stars sparkled as they walked slowly toward their home. Bundled up in their coats, arms around each other, they were as content as two lovers could be.

"I'm almost sad to see last year go," Bonnie said.

"Why?" Brent asked, curious.

"It was the best year of my life," she said unequivocally.

"I'm glad to hear that. I was pretty good for me too," he agreed.

"I want it to be like this, but I want to be with you more," she admitted.

"I feel the same way, but I'm torn," Brent said.

"What do you mean?"

Brent stopped and turned to Bonnie, wrapping his arms around her. "I love you, Bonnie. I want you to be happy. I know you're ... uncomfortable with our time apart. But ... I can't be selfish. You love your job and you are very, very good at it. I know it gives you great satisfaction. I wouldn't do anything to take that away from you," he finished.

She leaned into him and kissed him passionately. "If I have to choose, I wouldn't think twice ... I would be with you," she said fervently.

"That's just it. You don't have to choose. Our kids are growing up and are going to be on their own before we realize it. Their futures are whatever they want them to be. It won't be that long before we will be on our own. I don't want to rush it, but ... when that happens, well ... I know about this apartment in Park Royal that I can stay at," he smiled.

"You can handle my being away?" she asked, seeking confirmation.

"Only because both of us have had some experience at it ... you much more than me," he said calmly.

"You aren't kidding yourself? You can cope with our lives they way they are for a while?" She searched his eyes for the answer before he spoke.

"Yes ... it won't be easy, but yes ... I can," he stated firmly. "You're worth the wait. Besides, it's not like we don't see each other. It's just not every night."

"Do you think we'll ever get tired of each other?" she asked timidly.

"No ... no, I don't think so. I was married for a long time and I never got tired of it. I can't imagine it would be any different with you," he smiled.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.