Second Chance - Cover

Second Chance

Copyright© 2008 by Coaster2

Chapter 22

Brent sat with pride at Scott's graduation ceremony. He had made his promised B average again for the second year in a row and was qualified to attend almost any accredited university in Canada. That he had chosen to follow his sister's choice of Selkirk College in Castlegar was a minor surprise. Brent wondered if Tanya was the big influence in that decision, since she too would attend the local college.

Andrea sat beside him, holding his hand and beaming with happiness at her brother's accomplishment. "I don't see Tanya?" she noted.

"In the light blue dress in the middle of the second row. She's the blonde babe," her father kidded.

Andrea snickered at the reference as she craned her neck to see the girl who had caught her brother's attention. She would get a better look when they were called to the stage to receive their diplomas. When Tanya Dubrinski's name was called, she walked confidently up the five steps and onto the stage.

"Wow ... she's a babe all right! Scotty did alright for himself," she said in surprise. "She doesn't look anything like her mom."

"You noticed that too," her father smirked. "Maybe she was adopted."

"Dad!" she elbowed him in admonition. "It's a good thing Granma and Grampa didn't hear you."

Brent sneaked a look at his parents on the left of Andrea and watched as they anticipated Scott's name being called. The O'Leary's had been unable to attend as they were out of the country on a European vacation, but sent their best wishes, and a very nice check for Scott to spend on whatever he chose. Finally, the announcer called Scott Gordon and he stood and walked up the stairs and onto the stage.

Brent felt something close to tears as he watched his son, smiling at the assembled crowd, stand tall with his classmates. It was the same emotion he felt three years earlier when Andrea had received her diploma. His children had turned out very well, he thought. Much of the credit should go to their late mother. She was the one who was always there for them and helped manage their day-to-day lives. Jeanette would be bursting with pride on a day like this. He hoped somehow, that she knew how well her efforts had paid off. He shook himself to put a stop to the maudlin mood. It was a day of achievement and celebration, and that's what it would be.

In the two months since the home show, Brent had been to Calgary four times; twice on business, and twice with no other reason than to be with Bonnie. Their relationship had deepened in that time, and they began to talk about what might come next for them. He had met her son Tim, but she had not met either Andrea or Scott.

Andrea had a summer job at one of the big-box home stores in Trail. It was an attempt by her to familiarize herself in the industry she was seriously thinking of entering. Scott was in the lumber-sort area at VCM. It was a menial job that paid well because that's what Charlie had decided. Scott was bored, but recognized that the paycheck allowed him a lot of freedom that summer. His tuition and books were looked after by his parents' long established education fund. That meant he had a substantial entertainment fund to spend on Tanya.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.