Second Chance
Chapter 15

Copyright© 2008 by Coaster2

Brent and Jeanette waited in the ante-room of Dr. Virginia Meldrum, both nervous and uncertain of the next step. Brent had insisted that they begin these sessions together in order that he fully understand what the psychiatrist was telling Jeanette. At ten a.m. the inner door opened and a tall, slim, gray-haired woman came into the lobby and smiled at them.

"You must be Mr. and Mrs. Gordon. Won't you come in, please."

The Gordon's rose and walked into the woman's office, finding it large and very formal. They sat in large, leather wing chairs facing a heavy walnut desk. The doctor sat, leaned forward and folded her hands in front of her.

"I have some notes from our telephone conversation the other day, so let's begin by telling you what I want to do in the next little while," she began in a clear voice.

"The very first thing I want to do is for Mrs. Gordon to have a full physical examination. That may sound strange, but as a doctor, I know that some behavioral issues are caused by physical problems and we need to eliminate that possibility before we pursue the emotional aspects. Is that understood?" she asked carefully.

The Gordon's nodded their acceptance.

"Good. The physical will be quite comprehensive and I have included an M.R.I. scan as well. When the results are in we will have some sense of direction for our meetings. In the meantime, I would like to get some background on both of you, if you don't mind?"

For the balance of the hour, Jeanette and Brent answered questions about themselves and their life together. There were no testing or controversial probes, and that put both of them at ease. As they wrapped up the first session, Dr. Meldrum added a request.

"At some point, I will want to talk to you separately. I'm sure you recognize that you have inhibitions when you are together and in order to accomplish what I think we need to accomplish, I want each of you to have some privacy for your thoughts."

Brent wasn't surprised at this request, but Jeanette seemed uncomfortable with it, although she said nothing. They left the doctor's office and were advised their next appointment would be three weeks hence, when the medical test results were complete.

"Well, that wasn't so bad," Brent offered as they waited for the elevator.

"Why does she want to talk to you alone?" Jeanette asked with a frown.

"I don't know. She said it might get rid of inhibitions we have when we are together. I might hold back something because I don't want to hurt your feelings. You know ... that sort of thing."

"What couldn't you say in front of me?" he asked, again with a look of concern.

"Oh, I don't know ... maybe how you like to giggle when we make love." he said with a straight face.

"You wouldn't dare ... would you?"

"It could be important, you know," he continued, teasing her.

"What's it got to do with my being crazy?" she asked seriously.

"Now stop that!" Brent said sternly. "You aren't crazy and this isn't about that. It's about finding out why you did what you did on that stage. Nothing more! Understood?"

She cringed, then nodded shyly as they rode down the elevator in silence.

Over the next two weeks, Jeanette was subjected to a variety of tests, providing blood, urine, stool, and vaginal samples. She was x-rayed and finally, underwent a full body M.R.I. The tests weren't particularly unpleasant, but they were time-consuming and left her with doubts about all the things that might be wrong with her. She was relieved when they were finished, but anxious about the results.

In the meantime, Brent had met with Lloyd and discussed the possibility of an opportunity with Charlie Verano in Castlegar. Brent was encouraged for several reasons. He had some knowledge of the millwork business from his previous job in the building materials industry. He knew of the solid reputation that Verano Custom Millwork held and both he and Jeanette loved the interior mountains. He felt it wouldn't be that difficult to relocate and they would be only a day's drive from the coast and their parents.

When he broached the subject with Jeanette, she seemed enthusiastic. It would be a nice place to live and it would give both of them a fresh start; both in business and personally. The children were somewhat more subdued in their enthusiasm, but they too acknowledged that it wouldn't be as big a wrench from their current life as moving to the Prairies or even further east. With the family's endorsement, Brent called Charlie Verano and set up an appointment to meet him.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.