Second Chance - Cover

Second Chance

Copyright© 2008 by Coaster2

Chapter 12

Ron Dixon's firing caused barely a ripple at the plant, but plenty of ripples at headquarters. Dixon had reacted badly to the message delivered personally by Henry Cullen and had immediately promised suit for wrongful dismissal. Henry knew he had a case, but didn't care. He wanted him gone and gone he would be. It was only a matter of the cost, and nothing else. There was silent applause when the staff announcement was made and his successor named. There would be no going-away party for Ron Dixon.

Terry Timple, the reluctant Human Resources Manager, was frightened this would be a black mark on his record, but Henry told him to "suck it up and do the paperwork because Ron Dixon was fired, no matter what." Timple naturally complied.

The greater problem was Brent Gordon. What could be done to salvage the situation? Henry had given the problem his almost exclusive attention since the noon meeting on Thursday and he was no clearer on alternatives than he had been then. He had talked continuously with Lloyd and some of the area managers for Mountain Pine. A few had possible placements, but they were for less demanding jobs and there was no promise of promotion in the near future. He got the impression that some of the managers were looking to take advantage of the situation. There had to be a place for someone of the quality of Brent. He hadn't, however, been able to uncover anything that suited his particular skills, and was becoming more and more resigned to the probability that Brent would leave the company.

There was no thought Brent would go to a competitor. He knew him well enough to know that would never happen. It was simply the loss of a very good employee that bothered the general manager. When the inevitable promotion opportunity came later that year, it would now be Adam Richards that would succeed Lloyd. He was young, bright, capable, and energetic. He wouldn't be a second choice in most situations. The company wouldn't suffer with him at the controls of their successful sales department. They were the dominant player and they would remain so, barring the unforeseen.

Walter Francis had called him and passed along his conversation with Brent. Walter was another old friend, and Henry kicked himself for not dropping in now and then to see his former customer. Brent had formed that same special relationship with him and had the wisdom to learn from the senior man. Henry was aware of Walter's illness and Brent's regular visits. Business didn't always have to be cutthroat and heartless. There was always time for the human side. It was something he and Lloyd had preached for many years and he was convinced it was one of the core elements of their success. Now, he may be on the verge of losing one of those disciples, and it would hurt ... personally.

It was Lloyd who brought forward a possible solution late Friday afternoon. It was one Henry should have thought of, but hadn't. What about placing Brent with a customer? Someone he knew and respected, in a job where he could both enjoy and prosper. It was a question of whom and it was there that Lloyd demonstrated his exceptional value. He knew his customers and he knew their strengths and weaknesses. He also knew their people - whom he could talk to in private and not have to worry about the information getting around.

"Henry, I had a quiet conversation with Charlie Verano this afternoon. He's someone who can keep a confidence and I told him about Brent and what happened. He nearly jumped out of his chair when he thought there was a chance of Brent being available. I had to calm him down, but he would love to have him on his staff. He's been looking for some leadership and even though Brent doesn't call on him, Charlie knows about him from conventions and trade associations." Lloyd had a thoughtful, almost detached look as he related the conversation to Henry

"He's not local, Lloyd, but maybe that's not such a bad thing. I'm thinking Brent might want to put some distance between himself and these memories." Henry was thinking out loud again, a habit Lloyd had become used to over the years. He wasn't looking for interaction, he was trying to sort out the plusses and minuses. "We'd have to be careful how we pitched it to him. We don't want him thinking we are trying to steer him, just give him an option." The two men were quiet as both were deep in thought.

"I guess it's all going to depend on what Brent tells us. I'm guessing he'll be using the weekend to decide, and knowing him, we won't have to wait long on Monday morning to find out what he thinks," Henry said finally. "Can anyone figure out what Jeanette was doing up on that stage? I just can't get my head around it. We always knew she was a fun kid, but this is something different altogether. I just don't get it," he said finally. Lloyd shook his head in agreement.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.