Second Chance - Cover

Second Chance

Copyright© 2008 by Coaster2

Chapter 9

"Come in, Brent. It's so nice to see you again," June Francis said with a genuine smile. "Walter's in the living room, as usual."

"Thanks, June. How's he feeling?"

"Not too bad today. Yesterday wasn't so good, but you know, that's how it is — some good days and some bad ones. I'll get you two your usual tea and bring it in."

"Thanks, June." Brent walked into the living room to greet his friend and former customer. "Afternoon, Walter."

"Afternoon. What brings you over here this afternoon? Missing out on the usual cribbage game?" he laughed, and then coughed a deep, hacking cough.

"Yah, well, you know me. I can't resist relieving you of your pension money."

"You wish!" Walter wheezed.

It was the typical banter of two friends who had known each other for the eight years that Brent had been employed at Mountain Pine. When Walter was the purchasing manager for their largest client, he and Brent had hit it off very early on, as Brent was anxious to learn from the experienced older man and Walter was pleased to oblige. When Walter was diagnosed with lung cancer a year ago, both he and June knew it was inoperable and ultimately terminal. He accepted his fate with dignity, and Brent had visited him many times during his various hospital stays. They would play "crib" and talk about almost anything except the cancer.

In earlier days, Jeanette, June, Walter and Brent would get together for picnics, dinners and barbeques. With the twenty-three year difference in age, it was much like a father-son relationship, and it was on that basis that Brent visited Walter today. He needed his advice and guidance more than ever right now. Maybe Walter could help him right this ship, he thought.

Walter pulled the cribbage board out from under the table and set up the pegs while Brent shuffled the cards. It only took a few minutes for Walter to ask the first question.

"So, what's bothering you, young fellow? That fortieth birthday thing got you depressed?" he laughed lightly, trying not to start another coughing fit.

"No, nothing that easy, Walter." Brent sighed and leaned back in his chair, looking at his cards but not seeing them. He finally looked up at the patient face of his friend and began to tell him the story of yesterday's bombshell. Walter's face mirrored the shock and pain of Brent's discovery and he shook his head afterwards.

"I'd never have guessed Jeanette would ever do anything like that," he said. "It's so uncharacteristic of her. What got into her? Have you talked to her?"

"No ... not yet. It just happened yesterday and I'm still trying to digest it myself. I don't even know how to begin to talk to her about it."

It was June who came up with a suggestion. "Brent ... what if I were to phone her ... talk to her and see what she can tell me about it. Maybe it will give you a starting point," she proposed.

He thought about June's offer for a moment. "Look June, I don't want to involve you in our family problems. I have to figure a way out of this. I appreciate the help, but I think it's asking too much of you."

"Nonsense. We're friends and I know Jeanette well enough to know that this isn't the real 'her.' Please let me try, and then we can see where to go from there."

Brent looked at June for several moments before answering. "Alright, June. It can't hurt. I guess I need all the help I can get right now," he confessed. "Thank you. It's a very kind thing to do."

"Do Lloyd and Henry know?" Walter asked.

"Yes, I met with them today. I offered my resignation, but they've put it on hold to see if they can't come up with an alternative. I don't know what that could be. I'm sure the word is all over the company by now. The gossip-mongers will be having a field day."

"I'm sure they will," the older man nodded. "Have you thought about what you would do if you resigned?"

"Not really. I guess I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it. I'm not too worried about finding a job — it's just that ... this was the job I loved and companies like Mountain Pine are few and far between," he said sadly.

"Yah ... you're right about that. I guess the only advice I can give you is to make sure to find something you genuinely want to do. You can afford to be choosey with your reputation, and when you're starting over, you want to make sure you like what you're doing and who you're doing it for."

Brent nodded in agreement. In his thoughts, he wondered if he would get the chance to pick and choose where he would work. When he recalled why all that was a necessary concern, he got angry at Jeanette. At forty years of age, he would be starting all over again and if he were honest with himself, Jeanette was entirely responsible and he wasn't very happy with her.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.