The Destroyers, Book 1: A New Beginning
Chapter 30: The Asteroid field

Copyright© 2008 by Monbade

The ship was at General Quarters as Captain Kenneth Thompson ran onto the bridge. The ship was nearing the asteroid belt. Looking over at Lieutenant Kathy Jenson at the ships helm, he moved to his chair and began issuing his orders.

"Kathy, raise the shields and take us into the belt. Deploy recon drones for surveillance. Spin up all shield generators to minimum power."

Sitting down in his chair, he looked over at Commander White at the weapons station.

"Ted, how many Lightning fighters are ready for launch? What's the status on ship's weapons?"

Kathy went to work and started typing the course into the asteroid field. At the same time, thirty small drones were ejected from one of the missile tubes.

"Going in now, Sir. Drones are deployed and are taking up stations."

Ted checked his status board on the fighters.

"Sir, we have twelve fighters ready for launch in four finger formations under the command of Captain Michael Torris." Ted switched his board for weapons control and continued his report, "All laser cannons are on line, torpedoes are ready and the rail guns are armed and tracking. I wish we had more gun crews, but Amy says she can handle them."

Ted reached up and grabbed his coffee cup taking a sip of it. Setting it back down in its holder, he started typing commands in for the automatic firing of the rail guns.

Ken sighed and answered Ted, "I agree with you Commander, we need more crew and I was hoping we would have had time to recruit them, but it looks like we have to go with what we've got. Launch the fighters. They are our ace in the hole. They are to stay hidden in the asteroid field while we engage the Crytherians."

Ken watched the screen as the ship moved into the asteroid field, the rocks were tumbling along and were hitting the shields.

"As they used to say in the old submarine movies, ladies and gentlemen it's time to 'run silent, run deep'. So shut us down, and I mean everything but station keeping thrusters and tractors beams to keep the asteroid rocks from hitting us."

Turning to Tammy and his sister, he said to them, "Tammy, take Jen with you, and go to Command Two. I want you both up and running, in case something happens to us up here on the main bridge."

Across the command deck, Tammy and Jenny looked up as Ken addressed them, "Aye, Captain," they stood up and headed out the door.

On the screen, the fighters dropped from one of the stern landing bays, and headed for one of the largest asteroids. They landed on the slowly tumbling rock and prayed that another asteroid would not hit them.


Captain Michael Torris, late of the United States Navy, walked up to the podium and looked at the other eleven members of his unit. Six family members, and five family friends sat there and watching him.

"Ladies and Gentleman, as you all know, we have two ships heading for Terra. Their plan is to enslave more humans. Well the Marines have done their job on the enemy base, now it's our turn. We do not know what class of ships are heading towards us, but just in case, we are launching with full war loads. Now, rules of engagement are as follows: if fired upon you may return fire, but wait until I give the order, otherwise. Stick with your wingman, and no hot-dogging it."

Mike stood there and looked at each pilot, and continued, "Now, the Crytherians do not use fighters, or at least there is no record of them using them. Why, I don't know. Maybe they just think they are not worth their time. I hope that is the case, because you are all still too green. Now you all know your fighter's weaknesses and strengths, so use them to your advantage. By orders of the Captain, your fighters have been loaded with one Odin anti-matter torpedo, and three Gladiator class missile pods with thirty missiles each. Use your smaller missiles sparingly. We do not know when we will get an opportunity to rearm. If damaged, get out of the battle, wait until it is over and then land on the ship. We cannot afford to lose anyone, so pay attention! Keep your shields up, and cover your wingman. If your shields start to go down, or you take damage, fall back. It is no disgrace if you need time to reenergize. I would rather have a pilot who is over cautious, than dead. Any questions?"

"Sir? Squadron orders?" asked Lieutenant Johanna Myers of green flight.

"I will decide once we are in flight. But for now, keep your squadrons together." Michael said as he looked at the brown-haired pilot.

"Yes, Sir."

Looking at the rest of the pilots Michael said, "Now, pilots, man your fighters!"

Michael watched the pilots headed out of the ready room. His eyes settled on to his wife and he walked over to her. Taking her arm in his, he walked her out to their new destiny.


Michael and Tina Torris stood on the flight deck and hugged each other. Reaching up, Tina touched her husband's lips with her fingers.

"See you after the battle. You had better come back to me."

Mike smiled at his wife's words and cupped her face in his hands.

"I love you very much. You have blue wing, keep our kids safe and I will see you after the battle. It's my turn to cook dinner and I am going to make my chicken and ham special."

His voice trailed off as he looked into her eyes.

With a sigh he continued, "We'd better get in our birds and stop these bastards."

Giving her a quick kiss, he turned and walked over to his bright blue single seat fighter, and climbed up the ladder. Looking over as his wife climbed into hers, he swung his legs into the cockpit, and started strapping himself in. He went through his checklists.

Two Marines had been pressed into being ground crew. They ran through the hanger, pulling the ladders away from the fighters so they could launch.


Across the deck, Michael Jr. looked at his parents hugging each other as he patted his black fighter. Walking over to James Woods his wingman, he held his hand out.

"Hey, James, I wanted to wish you luck."

James looked up as he heard his name, seeing his wingman Mike Torris holding his hand out, he reached out and took it.

"Good luck to you, too. Hey, what do you say after this is over we get a couple of six packs, sit back, and watch some Star Wars?"

"Sure but nothing can beat what we are going to be doing out there. We are literally going to be fighting our own Star Wars," replied James as he laughed.

"True, but nothing beats the original three movies, and my 64 inch plasma screen with stereo surround is just waiting to be tested."

Mike Jr. looked around the great hanger and saw his dad climbing into his fighter.

"We'd better get in our birds. Don't want to upset my old man. See you out there."

Walking back to his fighter, he climbed the ladder and got into the fighter. Quickly going through the preflight, he turned on his com unit.

"Tiger Six to flight control, I am ready for lift off," Mike Jr. said.

"Roger Tiger Six. You are cleared to lift off after Tiger Four has exited the bay."

Michael Sr. looked over at his wife's fighter and then started booting up the systems on his fighter. As the engines fired up, he moved down the deck and lined up with the opening and into space.

"Flight control to Tiger One, please stand by for orders from the Captain."

"Standing by, Flight Control," Mike responded as he checked the power settings on his lasers.

"Roger Tiger One, orders from the Captain are as follows. All Tiger units are to enter the asteroid belt and land on one of the larger asteroids, where you will wait for the signal from the flag to engage. Any questions Tiger One?"

"Negative, Flight Control. Orders are understood. We will lift off and take cover on an asteroid and wait for flag's orders. Relaying orders to rest of my unit," switching frequencies so he could address the rest of the squadron, he looked once more at his wife, "This is Tiger One to all cubs, we are going into the belt and will land on one of the larger asteroids. We will sit there until the ship calls for us. Keep all systems at minimum power and be prepared to go at a moment's notice."

Michael moved the throttle to one-quarter power and dropped out the stern of the ship. After leaving the ship, he shoved his throttles to full power. He headed for what his computer said was the largest asteroid in the area. Behind him, the rest of the squadron quickly followed.


Kathy reached over and took the main engines off line, bringing them to standby mode. Then she sent commands to shut down everything else.

"Engine shut down complete, Sir. Non-life support systems are shutting down all around the ship."

The ship's thrusters kept her from drifting while tractor beams prevented any of the asteroids from hitting her as they waited.

Getting up, Ken walked over to the replicator, and ordered a cigar from the machine.

"Computer, replicate me a cigar please."

The item requested materialized, and Ken picked it up. Walking back to his chair, he sat and chewed on the end of it. Pulling the cigar out of his mouth, he looked over at Ted.

"Ted, are your Marines ready to go?"

Ted glanced at Ken and then did a double take when he saw him with the cigar,

'Ah, crap. He is nervous, but I don't blame him. So the fuck am I.'

"I have thirty-five Marines on board. The rest are back on the Crytherian base. Fighters are launched and will be setting down on one of the larger asteroids."

"Damn, just thirty-five Marines!" Ken thought for a minute and then continued, "Ok, set them up into five man squads. I want at least one armed with a plasma rifle and another with a heavy machine gun."

Ted looked up in annoyance at Ken, and replied, "I've already set them up and they are ready to go."

Ken got up and started pacing the command deck, chewing on his cigar as he thought. Walking over to Ted, he leaned down.

"Sorry, Ted, I shouldn't have done that. You know your job."

"No problem, Ken. We're all nervous. This is life or death, here."

Patting Ted's shoulder, he turned and started his pacing again. As he passed navigation, the view screen changed from the asteroids to Tammy's face as she called from the secondary bridge.

"Captain, we are in the auxiliary command and are bringing our systems online now. We are a little undermanned but with Amy's help I think we will be ok."

Ken walked over to his chair and sat down, "Very well, Commander. If anything happens to us, you are to take over and defend the system."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.