The Destroyers, Book 1:  A New Beginning - Cover

The Destroyers, Book 1: A New Beginning

Copyright© 2008 by Monbade

Chapter 22: Decisions, bills and packing

The people went around and learned about the ship. They were each deciding what career choice they wanted. James Woods had decided he wanted to be a fighter pilot once he saw the sleek attack fighter sitting in one of the cradles. Code-named Tomahawk, the fighter carried a miniature rail gun in the nose cone, two lasers on each wing, and a missile bay with sixteen ship-to-ship missiles. The missiles were antimatter warheads for larger ships or 'fire and forget', for enemy fighters. James went over every fighter and decided on one that was painted bright silver with a navy blue trim. Painted on the side near the canopy was the name Commander Timothy Gomez, CAG. James asked "Amy can I have this fighter?"

Amy said, "I think, no, I know he would be deeply honored that you want his fighter. I will have his name removed, and yours put on it."

"Amy before you do that I want on this written on the nose: In memory of Commander Timothy Gomez CAG officer of The USS WASHINGTON CBB 5, may he rest in peace. If that is ok with you?"

"I think Commander Gomez would be deeply honored by your request."

Amy ordered a bot over and it started doing the new paintwork on the fighter.

"When you get back I will start your training as a fighter pilot. You will also get training on shuttle, and large ship navigation, along with astrogation and tactics. You will also be taught the following languages: Russian, French, German and Japanese.

"Thank you Amy. Can you tell me where my dad is? If possible, that is. His name is James Horatio Woods. I have never met him. He married my mother in 1983 in San Diego California. I was born two years later, and he disappeared right after I was born. He sent my mom and I to live in Reno and that was the last we heard from him. We receive a check from an account in the Caymans every month for twenty-five hundred dollars and on my birthday and Christmas I receive another for five hundred more. We have tried to find out what happened to him, where he is and why he has not come home. We received a letter from someone who said if we did not stop searching for him the checks would stop. Well my mom stopped the search because she needed the money for me, but now that I am older I would like to know who he is and why he left us."

Amy searched through her database, and the internet, and came up negative.

"I don't have anything in my data base, and I can't find anything on the internet on him, either. However, once I get into space, I can hack into the CIA and Interpol databases and do a search for you. I will let you know when I have more for you."

"Thanks, Amy."

"You're welcome. Dinner is being served in the conference room if you're hungry."

"Thanks, I am." James said as he looked once more at his new fighter. He then turned and walked out of the landing bay with a smile on his face.


In other parts of the ship, Matt, Aaron, Lynn and Kathy were sitting on the bridge talking. Lynn sat on Matt's lap and leaned back into his body.

"Well I know I want to be a pilot, but those fighters scare me. I think I will settle on being a shuttle pilot. What about the rest of you?"

"Well, Matt and I have decided we want to be pilots. It will be Mechs for me. Aaron wanted a fighter. I hope that we will be able to."

Kathy looked around the bridge and said, "I want to fly this baby, if that's ok with Ken, that is."

"It will be, Kathy. I will let Captain Thompson know you want to be a ship's pilot, astrogator, and navigator. As for the rest of you, your choices are acceptable. When you come back, your training will commence. It will take about three weeks for Kathy, and two weeks for the rest of you. You will undergo this training while you sleep for the whole three weeks. Your bodies will also be enhanced to the same level as the rest of the crew."

Kathy looked at the hologram of Amy. "We will be sleeping? Why?"

"Yes, it makes the training easier for you if you're sleeping. You will be put through false combat, survival training, and anything else you request like avionics for pilots or damage control, languages, computer programming ... anything."

"Cool, sounds interesting. Well, I am getting hungry," Matt said as he looked at his best friends. Then he continued, "How about you three?"

"Yeah, me too bro," Aaron said as Kathy slid off of his lap.

"Me too, what about you Lynn?" Kathy asked as she kissed Aaron.

Turning her head Lynn kissed her boyfriend deeply, "Yes, I am too."

"There is food waiting for you in the conference room," Amy said as she watched them leave the bridge.

Amy looked at them and gave a sad smile at their happiness with their lives. How she wished she had hers back. As suddenly as the thought came, it was banished to the back of her memory core.


The four adults spent most of the day in the atrium, on level six, talking about their kids and what was in store for them. Andy and John sat with beers while the women enjoyed a glass of a strange white wine from one of the moons of Alpha Centauri.

"Andy, Ken has asked me to head up the construction end. I thought I was a pretty good engineer, I ran my own construction company and all, but this new tech is amazing. We could build a three-bedroom home in an hour with just two of these spider bots." Shaking his head he continued, "I was hoping you would head security for me. That's if you want it."

Looking at John then his wife, he answered John with, "I would be honored to do so, my friend, but it depends on what Maria wants."

Before John could say anything Maria broke in, saying, "Andy, you do what you want, if you want to do this I will stand behind you. All I have ever wanted to be was a mother and your lover. You have given me both and now thanks to Ken, Amy, and this amazing ship I still have you. I will follow you wherever you go and stand beside you with a knife if I have too."

John reached out and took his wife's hand. "What about you Martha what do you think?"

"Well you know I love my job at the university, and I am good at organizing. I think I will go with you, John, and start a new life. Amy said that once we are enhanced, we will be able to have more children. Both Maria and I want that, more then anything."

"That is correct, Martha. Both you and Maria will be able to have many children if that is what you want. You will be able to space them out over the years so you don't get overwhelmed with too many children, but all four of you can expect to live long lives, if nothing happens to yours like mine."

"What do you mean like yours?"

Amy looked confused at Martha. "I don't know what you mean."

"You said all four of you can expect to live long lives if nothing happens to yours like mine. What do you mean like yours?"

"No, I did not. Or I don't think I did, I better run a diagnostic check to see if I have damage. While I do that, dinner will be served in the conference room. Ken, Ted, Tammy and Jen won't be attending and have asked that you to eat without them."

She watched them file out as she started to run the diagnostic test, but another program kicked in and shut it down.


Everyone filed into the room, and Amy was waiting for them, the three hundred-seat conference room had been set for all the new members. She purposely planed it this way to show how they need more help.

"Ladies and Gentleman, thank you for coming," Amy said. "As you know, I am Amy and I am the ships AI. I first want to say thank you for agreeing to join, and to help restore the Federation. Second is that Ken, Jenny, Ted, Tammy will not be joining us, and they have asked me to be your host. I hope you all enjoy steak. I am going to serve you some steaks that come from one of the many cattle ranches on a moon in Alpha Centauri in my time. My old crew, loved the flavor of the beef, and I hope you do, too. I have also prepared baked potatoes, corn on the cob and salads. So enjoy everyone."

Amy quit speaking, and lowered the stasis field she had placed over the table along the wall. The smells from the food wafted through the room. The crew lined up and quickly started filling their plates with the food. The crew spent the next hour enjoying their meal and talking. The sound of so many talking brought pleasure to Amy's ears.


Later that night, they all were getting ready to board the shuttle for the flight back to Reno. The group stood there as Ken talked with Amy by the door. Amy nodded her head and said something to Ken. He turned and began to walk into the ship. His laptop was hanging from his shoulder.

As he neared the group, he said. "We all ready to go?"

As they were about to board, Molly ran through the door.

"Ken, wait up," shouted Molly as she joins them.

Stopping, Ken turned and faced Molly as she came to them. "What's up Molly?"

"Just wanted to wish you guys luck, and to say that I'll see you when you get back, and by the way you owe me that date in Paris, take your time getting back to me."

"Oh? I do? I only know of eighty people. You said a hundred."

"Yep you did, and I just checked my voice mail. The rest of the group I talked with has agreed to sign up. I will be going to get them tonight."

"Ok, you win, Molly," leaning over he kissed her on the cheek, and continued, "I will see you later." Looking over at Amy he said, "Amy, issue the bills to Molly so she can help her family and friends out."

"Yes, Sir, I will. Have a safe flight. See you soon, Captain."

"Thank you, Amy. See you later, Molly."

Turning, Ken led his party onto the shuttle. As Ken walked up the ramp, Tammy took the computer from Ken and set it in a storage compartment, as Ken went into the flight deck. Sliding into the cockpit seat, he started the shuttle up.

The shuttle lifted off of the deck and moved towards the hanger ramp. Going down the ramp, the shuttle banked and came around the ship to line up with the tunnel. It slid into the darkness, which suddenly lit up, as bright as day inside.

Turning on his com system, Ken said, "Amy, is it clear outside?"

"Clear as a bell! Smooth sailing, Captain."

"Thank you, Amy, please open the doors."

The great doors opened and Ken activated the holo-emitter and shot up into the air. Behind them, the doors close.

Unknown to anyone, the ship had been seen leaving. The man had been climbing a rather steep little hill on the Canyon's floor. He had just made it to the top, when Ken exited the tunnel. He was caught unprepared, though, as his camera was back at his campsite.

The shuttle banked northwest, and headed along the Arizona desert, darting into Nevada. Skirting Nellis AFB, they shot towards Reno at maximum speed. Seventeen minutes later, they came in over the hills and landed next to the barn. The emitter turned on and a large U-Haul truck appeared where the shuttle was sitting. Everyone piled out of the shuttle and headed for the house as the sun started to come up.

Ken turned to his gaming group and said, "Ok, you all know what you need to do. We will see you here on Friday. Give your notice, pay your bills off, pack what you want to take with you, and sell the rest. Then rent a U-Haul and come to the house. We will load the shuttle with your stuff. Your vehicles are up to you. You can sell them, or keep them, and have them upgraded like my SUV."

Ken watched his friends pile into their cars and drive off. Turning, Ken looked at Ted and Tammy's mom.

"Mrs. White, please come by tomorrow and we will go do what I promised."

Walking over he gave each woman a hug and shook the hands of the men.

"You guys can go out to the ship when you want to. Ted or Tam can take you, as there is a second shuttle in the barn if we need it."

Ken walked Tammy to the car and gave her a kiss.

"See you later, beautiful."

Helping the women into the car, he shut the door as Ted and his dad climbed in.

"See you later today."

Ken stood and watched them drive down the driveway and turn towards their house. Turning around, he headed into the house. Walking into the kitchen, he shut the light off after making sure the coffee would come on. Ken went upstairs and into his bedroom where he climbed into bed for a few more hours of sleep.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.