The Destroyers, Book 1:  A New Beginning - Cover

The Destroyers, Book 1: A New Beginning

Copyright© 2008 by Monbade

Chapter 11: Going to Vegas

The miles went by quickly. One hundred and forty miles later, Ken saw a sign welcoming them to Hurricane City, Utah. Ken reached over and slapped Ted's arm, waking him up.

"Hey, Ted, wake up."

Ted jerked away.

"Yeah, Ken? What you need?"

Looking around he saw buildings and civilization.

With a yawn, he asked, "Where are we?"

With a glance at Ted, Ken replied, "We just entered Hurricane City. Look for a restaurant. We'll stop for a stretch, get something to eat and use the facilities. Wake the girls. I am sure they need a break."

"Ok, Ken," Ted turned and looked in the back seat and reached over to shake Tammy.

"Hey, Ta..."

"I'm already awake, bro ... and Ken is right, I need to go."

Tammy shook both the other girls awake.

"Hey, wake up, ladies. Its time for a bathroom break."

Ted turned around, and looked for a restaurant and as they drove into the city. He saw a restaurant called JB's Family Restaurant.

"Ken, how about that place?"

Ken looked to where Ted was pointing and saw the restaurant.

"That looks good to me. I know I am starved, how about the rest of you?"

Ken listened to everyone's comments as they agreed that they were hungry too. Ken turned the vehicle into the parking lot when he reached the entrance, and found a space up near the front of the building. Climbing out of the vehicle, Ken stretched as he stood, and felt his bones pop. Closing his door he took Tammy and Molly's arms in his and the three friends walked up to the door with Ted and Jenny behind them. As they reached the door to open it, a Sheriff's Officer came out and held the door for them.

"Thank you, Sir, and good morning. How is the food here?"

Deputy Sheriff Thomas Johansson looked at the five teens.

"Morning. The food's pretty good. Try the omelets. I'm sure you'll like them."

Tipping his hat to the three young women, he added, "Ladies."

He looked at each of them, but one caught his eye. He had seen her before, but could not place where.

"Y'all have a nice day."

Ken nodded his head and replied, "You too, Sir."

Tom walked out to his car and stood there. Looking back into the building, he saw the teens go into the bathroom.

"I have seen her before."

Opening the door, he climbed into his car. Flipping on the computer, he waited for it to warm up while he watched the five kids sat down in front of the main window. Noticing that the computer was ready, he looked at the redhead and entered her physical description into the computer. Red hair, late teens or early twenties, five foot three, and about hundred and ten pounds ... He pressed the enter key, and the computer ran a detailed search.

In the restaurant, the kids were ordering their food. It looked like they were joking around.


They entered the restaurant and the three girls headed for the bathroom while they waited for their table. Within three minutes, the girls were back and they were heading for a booth in front of the main window. They all slide in, and began talking as they waited for their waitress to reach them.

Susan walked up to the five kids and smiled at them. She passed out the menus to them.

"Good morning. Welcome to JB's, I'm Susan, and I will be your waitress. Would you like something to drink while you look at your menus?"

"Good morning, Susan," Ken looked at everyone, and asked, "Everyone want coffee?" They all quickly agreed so he ordered, "Susan, can we have five coffees, please?"

"Ok, I will be right back with the coffee," she walked over to the coffee pot, as the five of them turn their coffee cups right side up, and picked up their menus.


Deputy Sheriff Thomas Johansson watched the computer screen run its search and then looked up at the restaurant. Suddenly the computer beeped and on the screen was a list of over seventy names. With a sigh at the large list of names, he started going through each name one at a time, looking at each picture as they appeared.


In the restaurant, Susan came back with the coffee, and poured everyone a cup. "Have you decided what you would like to eat or do you need more time?"

Ken looked at the menu and replied, "No we're ready, I think. I will have a western omelet, a side of biscuits and gravy, and a water to go with it."

Susan wrote down the orders as they came.

"Ok, I have three Western Omelets and a Chili Omelet, two orders of Pancakes and two of Biscuits and Gravy, with two side orders of sourdough toast, five milks and four waters. Is that correct? You folks are sure hungry."

Ken listened to Susan read the order back and replied, "That's correct. Yes, we have been camping for three weeks, living on MRE'S and fish. There may be enough food in an MRE but it's not very good eating. A hot cooked meal is what we have all been wanting."

Susan laughed, and replied, "Well, we will fill you up. This is some of the best food around."

Susan turned and walked to the kitchen to place the order. After delivering the order, she filled up four glasses of water, and five of milk.

Ted looked out the window and saw the cop sitting in his car.

"Ken, I think something is up. That cop is still sitting out there."

Ken glanced out the window and casually turned back to Tammy.

"Ok. I know they can't be after us, so it has to be Molly." Looking at their new friend, he asked, "Molly, how long were you held by that bastard?"

Molly set her coffee cup down, and said, "I am not sure. He kidnapped me on June 18th, so I think about three weeks."

Ken looked over at Molly as she spoke, then asked, "Would anyone have reported you missing?" Looking past Molly, he said. "The waitress is coming."

Susan walked over and set the glasses down, "Your food should be ready in about five minutes. Do you need anything else?"

Ken looked around at everyone, and replied, "I think we are all fine. Thanks, Susan."

Susan looked at the group of teens and said, "Ok. If you need anything, just call me."

"Ok, we will, Susan."

Ken turned to Molly, and continued, "Well, Molly, we were really glad you were able to join us. We should have you home in a few hours."

Molly smiled at Ken's deception and replied, "I am glad I did."

Watching the waitress walked away, she went back to what she was saying before.

"Well Ken, I was supposed to be home on the seventh. My mom knows I am lousy at keeping in contact, but she may still have called someone."

Ken nodded and said, "Ok, here is what we do. We will go with the camping story. You met up with us on the eighth, and decided to go spelunking with us. We had a spare set of gear in the car for emergencies, and we invited you along. We were in the caves for three days, and then went camping in the canyo..."

Ted watched as two more of the sheriff's cars pulled up. The three cops stood there talking, and then they walked to the door.

"Ken, he is coming back in, and he has company."


Thomas was going through his requests, and hit the name Molly O'Neil age 18, disappeared on June 23rd when she was supposed to check in with her mom via telephone, somewhere near the Grand Canyon's North Rim, height five foot two inches, 110 pounds, medium length red hair, green eyes, mole on left shoulder. Scar on right ankle.

"That's her," he said to himself, and then reached over and grabbed the microphone to call his base.

"This is Baker 7. I am outside of JB's. I have a location for a Code 8, a Miss Molly O'Neil, disappeared on June 23rd, presumed kidnapped. She is in the company of four other young adults, two male subjects and two females. I am requesting a code 10 at my location."

"Roger, Baker 7. Dispatching Alpha 1 and Charley 4 to your location."

"Request a silent approach, there's no need to hurry. They are eating their meal. If it looks like they are going to leave, I will let you know. Baker 7, out."

Thomas watched as the kids joked around. Even the subject was laughing. Watching the entrance out of the corner of his eyes, he saw two more police cars pull in. Opening the door, he climbed out and moved towards his boss.

"Hey, Mike, Anthony. I have been watching the suspects and I am not sure if the girl has been kidnapped. They act like they are good friends but the report states she is missing and presumed kidnapped."

Mike listened to Thomas as he explains what was going on. "Well, Tom ... let's go find out, shall we? Why don't you lead us in? We will back you up."

Tom walked towards the doors of the restaurant and went in, followed by his back up. He moved towards the table where the kids were.

"Miss Molly O'Neil?"

Molly jumped when she heard her name and looked over at the voice.

"Yes, Officer? How do you know my name? What can I do for you?"

"Can you come with me for a few minutes?"

"Of course, Officer, have I done something wrong?" Molly scooted out of her seat and stood up.

"Its Johansson, Ma'am, and no you haven't. I just need to ask you some questions."

He waited for her to get up and led her to another table while the other officers kept the rest of them company.

Holding a chair out for Molly to sit in, he waited until she did. He then grabbed a chair from the other side of the table. He swung it around so the back was facing the table. Straddling the chair, he looked at Molly.

"Well, for one thing young lady, can you explain where you have been for the last four weeks?"

Giving the officer a startled look, she tells him where she had been.

"Well, let's see ... I entered the park on the sixteenth, and hiked along the river for a couple of weeks. Then I met my friends here, at one of the scenic points, and they talked me into going spelunking with them for three days. I think that was on the eighth. We were underground until the eleventh. Then we went camping down by the river for two weeks, did some fishing, sunning, swimming and partying ... without booze or drugs! We left this morning at five AM. Ken and Jen did not want me to travel back on the bus by myself, so they offered me a ride back to Las Vegas, which saved me a hundred bucks and a miserable two day trip, so I decided to take them up on it."

"Well, you were reported missing on the June twenty-third by your mother. A search was implemented for you, but no sign of you was found. Please wait here."

Getting up he moved back to the table. Unknown to him, the entire conversation had been transmitted to the rest of them via their computer chips. Taking Jenny aside, he got her name and the same story. He quickly questioned the rest of them on their own and got the same answers. Nothing logically told him that they were telling anything but the truth, but in his gut, he knew they were lying about something. It was too pat of a story. Leading Molly back to the table he talked with his boss.

"We've got nothing to go on," his boss told him. "Release them, and have the girl call her mom."

Going back to the table, he smiled at the group.

"Molly would you please do me a favor and call your mother and let her know you are ok. We will send out notification to the other departments that you have been found, that everything seems fine, and that you should be home tomorrow."

"I sure will, Officer Johansson," she drinks the rest of her milk as Ken stood up.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.