Athena Hollis - Cover

Athena Hollis

Copyright© 2008 by Monbade

Chapter 10: The Callings

Dancer's head came up and he looked to the north where his love had flown to her home. Transforming into a human wearing black breeches and shirt, he started walking toward the house in the distance. His mind was reaching out to Asirel as he chewed on the long blade of grass hanging from his mouth. On his hip, his rapier bounced as he walked, and he absentmindedly fingered the hilt as he made contact, 'My love what has happened to thee?'

'Hurt! I'm hurt my darling Dancer, I am so sorry I did not get back to thee. I love thee and I will wait for thee at the pool of life.'

'Nay, my love! Stay strong! Use yer magic to keep yerself going, for I am coming for thee.'

'I ... I cannot, I am badly hurt and I am so tired. Let Star know they have awakened and they are coming to the world. They seek vengeance on the people, for being banished for so long.'

'Nay! You shall tell her yourself, I will see ye soon. Now rest, I am coming. Somehow I will find you!'

'I ... I will try.' Asirel said as she broke the connection.

Before the connection was broken, Dancer saw what had happened and how she had fallen towards a snow bank bleeding her life away from where the dragon ripped her apart. As the image faded, Dancer stepped into Star's mansion and a voice startled him.

"Who are you and how did you get in here?" Larisa said as she balanced the tray in her left hand while her right hand whipped out her wand.

"Stay thy hand good apprentice. I have come to speak with ye Mistress. It's a matter of life or death, of one who is important to her," Dancer said.

"And you are?" Larisa said apprehensively.

"Dancer, my name is Dancer. I await thy Mistress for someone is in dire need of her aid," he said.

"Have a seat in the foyer, I will let her know you are waiting," Larisa said.

Larisa's wand vanished as she turned to a silver door, pushed it open, and paused for a moment. "Enter," said a voice from the other side.

Pushing the door wide, Larisa balanced the tray with her left hand and swept into the room to find Star, Athena and two men sitting at a table. Approaching the group, she pulled out her wand and used it to levitate each plate in front of her Mistress and her companions. Setting the three teacups down and a large glass of milk in front of Athena she quickly poured the tea and set the cream, honey and lemon out on to the table. Then she said, "Mistress Star, a gentleman by the name of Dancer wishes to speak with you. Do you wish me to show him in to now, or wait until you are finished eating?"

Stars head came up and her eyes narrowed, as she replied, "Yes, bring him straight to me. Right now!"

"As you command Mistress," Larisa said as she backed out of the room and gently closed the door.

Star watched the door close and she said as she picked up some toast, "I wonder what Dancer wants."

"Pardon me Mistress, but who is Dancer?" Athena asked.

"He's Asirel companion, like Swift and Silver here," Star said as she nibbled on the slice of toast.


Larisa hurried down the hall; slipping her wand back into its case as she entered the foyer. Seeing the man standing at the window, she opened the door all the way and as he turned around, she curtsied and said, "Please follow me, Mistress Star will see you in her sitting room."

"Thank you Larisa," Dancer said as he quickly followed the young maid down the hall, who looked at him in surprise. Going to the door, she gently pushed it open and said, "Mistress, Master Dancer is here to see you."

"Thank you Larisa, you may go for now, but I want you to study your invisibility spell."

"As you command Mistress," Larisa said as she stood aside to let the man walk past her, and then closed the door. Standing there, she shook off the unease she felt and started to kneel to listen.

"I said practice Larisa," said a pair of lips that formed from the doorknob.

Larisa stood up and turned, she was fleeing down the hallway before the lips faded from sight.


Star burst into laughter as she watched Larisa run down the hall through the vision in her tea. Dispelling the scrying spell, she said, "I will need to apologize to her later, I think. I probably scared a few years out of her life." Turning in her chair, she looked at Dancer standing there and smiled at her friend. She held out her hand to him as he came forward.

Dancer rushed forward and knelt in front of Star and said as he kissed her ring, "Your highness, I beseech you to aid your humble servant. My pet has been injured and I must travel to her, to aid her. I fear she will be dead soon and then I shall have no reason to live, my lady."

"How do thee know she is injured, Lord Dancer?" Star asked.

"She contacted me through the link; she told me she was dying. I saw mountains and snow. I saw her body on the ground, bleeding from massive wounds and I saw the other creature. She was attacked by another dragon, which she killed. Help me save her my lady," Dancer begged.

"Of course I shall help thee and thee loved one," turning she looked at Athena and continued, "Athena, get dressed and get your staff, then join us in the casting room. The rest of you, follow me," she then turned and walked out of the room.

Athena ran into Stars bedroom and started pulling on her clothes. She turned to grab her staff and she froze as a pack appeared. Walking over, she looked at her name glowing on the pack, so she picked it up. Looking inside she saw some clothes, food, her spell book and other supplies, she would need if she were camping or on an adventure. Sitting on the very top was a scroll. Setting the pack down, she picked the scroll up and as she unrolled it and started to read.

Your God is watching over you.
Know he loves you
as he will help guide your hand,
through this time of troubles.
Go forth now and smite mine enemies.

Magic burst from the scroll and she felt it flowing into her as the scroll burst into flames. Dropping the parchment, she watched as it burned to a fine white ash. As she bent to pick up the pack again, a bright flash burst forth from the ash and she closed her eyes. Pain shot through her body and she fell over onto the bed and passed out.

She lay there breathing, a small smile on her face as she dreamed. Magic coursed through and around her body before it dissipated. Blinking her eyes, Athena sat up and her hair, which was about mid-shoulder before the magic, now pooled on the bed at her butt. Standing up, her hair hung down to her mid thigh. She looked at the length and then she looked over at the mirror. She was startled by what she saw and she screamed and fainted again, falling limply to the floor. She, who was once fourteen, now looked eighteen in the polished silver.


Star was walking down the hall with Dancer, Swift and Silver when Athena screamed. Before the three men could move, she vanished and appeared in her bedroom. Running to her apprentice, she knelt beside her and rolled her over. She was startled when she looked at Athena's face and saw she was older, "By the Gods!" Star cried out.

'I have made her older so she can survive. Her magic will make her strong, as her will for revenge, will be her temperament. She is a fine weapon of mine, to do as I demand.'

'My lord, she is not a weapon. You have stolen her youth, she should have been able to enjoy that here, with her new friends, ' Star said in a silent prayer as she brushed her hand against Athena's face.

'Its time for her to put away her childhood and step forth, to be used as she was made. The time of the wars is approaching and when they are finished, all will have changed my daughter. I cannot see who will be left alive or who will be dead, but know that death comes for some of you. Guard well my children and stand fast with my chosen one. Awaken Athena and go forth and smite my enemies, as I would smite them.'

Athena awoke on the floor, looking up into the face of a beautiful woman. She had no memory of who she was or why she was there. Taking a breath, she noticed that the air was filled with the scent of lemons. Shadows played along the walls and she saw that the light was very dim as if it the room was lit only by candlelight. Before she could speak, a loud crash was heard and then a man with a silver spot on his forehead was kneeling beside her. Slowly her memory came back and she smiled as she whispered, "Silver where have thou been?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.