Athena Hollis - Cover

Athena Hollis

Copyright© 2008 by Monbade

Chapter 5

A Friend Seeks Revenge and

an enemy is Revealed

The air was tranquil and quiet, birds were singing and a lone deer placidly grazed on the lush green grass of the hill. A riding horse stood tethered to a small tree, munching on the hay piled at its feet. Suddenly a crack of thunder was heard that shattered the peaceful morning. The deer bolted, the birds squawked and flew away as a gate opened and a man stepped out of thin air.

As Jor appeared on top of the hill, he looked around carefully for any hidden traps that could be set off. He frowned when nothing happened and he started walking to his horse that he had left here as he cursed himself for missing the target. Picking up the nearby saddle he quickly had it in place on the back of the horse and firmly fastened. Scanning the hillside once more, he placed the head of the crossbow on the ground and gripped the string in the pull bar. With a grunt, he pulled back the string and locked it in place. Pulling a new bolt from his quiver, he reloaded the weapon and hung the crossbow from a loop attached to the pommel of his saddle. Taking the reins, he climbed up into the saddle and wheeled the horse in a complete circle as he searched again for any danger. With a jerk of the reins, he started moving down the hill and into the vale. He was so sure of his safety as he passed through the small copse of trees, he did not even bother to look behind him. If he had, he would have seen a silverish mist quietly appear on the hilltop behind him.


Silver stood on the top of the hill, looking down into the small vale. Ahead on the trail, the man who hurt his pet rode swiftly along on his horse. In the far distance, he could see a small town built near a waterfall. On the side of the cliff wall, a tower was built while on the top of the cliff, several large towers stood with flags flying from them. He was too far away to tell what pennants they were and didn't care. What he cared about was the man on the horse and so with a snort, he started galloping after him. 'Mistress, I will follow him, he shall not get away for harming my pet.'

'Now be careful, he radiates evil. Try to find out whom he is working for. Do this for your pet so she knows who is after her.'

'It shall be as you command, Mistress, ' Silver thought as he galloped after the man and then came to a sudden stop. He sniffed and smelled evil magic near him. Looking around, he saw nothing but he knew it was there. Turning again, he looked behind him and saw a darkness coming towards him from out of the ground. With a snort, he summoned his powers. His horn burst into a bright light and he sent forth a lightning bolt.

The bolt of energy passed through the darkness and it dissipated as he watched. He started to summon his power again but before he could strike, he was hit in the side by a bolt of black energy. Pain shot through him and he neighed in pain. Smacking his hooves into the ground, an energy shield surrounded him and stopped the second attack, but the damage was already done. Blood dripped down his flank and turned crusty black as it bubbled on his flesh as he started to turn to face his attacker.

"Die beast, and know your true place. When you are dead, your horn shall be mine, along with your magic," taunted the smoky dark figure, which had appeared out of the ground. The figure continued, "When you are gone, then your new pet shall be mine as well. She will become my slave, as her brother and sister are soon to be. My lackey missed the primary target but Star's new whelp will answer to me."

Turning completely, Silver faced the smoky cloud and was surprised when it became five clouds. Bringing forth his power, he changed into a handsome young man wearing black leather armor, the blood still oozing from his side. Hanging at his waist was a silverish sword with an ivory horn handle. "No, it is you who shall die! You tried to kill my pet, and for that you will live no longer," he replied as he pulled forth his sword. "Know this, she lives. I feel my pet's heartbeat even now," he said as he lifted the blade. Watching the smoky clouds, he kept his weapon up and then suddenly lunged forward. His sword went for the second cloud to his right as he thrust outward. The blade turned to pure light as it penetrated the darkness and he felt it hit a solid object inside.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.