Athena Hollis - Cover

Athena Hollis

Copyright© 2008 by Monbade

Chapter 2: The Journey Begins

Stopping on the landing, Athena looked down at the strangers, and asked, "Who are they?"

"Athena, those are Star's other apprentices, I will introduce you when we get down there," Star replied as she started walking.

"Okay." Athena said as she continued walking with Asirel.

They stopped on the third step from the bottom and Asirel cleared her throat, getting the apprentices' attention so she could speak to them.

"Attention everyone, I would like to introduce Athena. She is our mistress's new apprentice. I want each of you to introduce yourselves."

At Asirel's words, they stepped down off the stairs and onto the main floor. One of the males nodded his head and stepped forward; he sported brown eyes, red hair, and stood about five foot three inches tall. He looked like he was about thirteen years old, and Athena thought he was very handsome.

"Hello Athena, I am Jaren Blackhorn. It is my privilege to meet you." Placing his hand on a young girl he continued, "This is my sister, Larisa."

Larisa was four foot nine inches tall. She has bright green eyes and flaming red hair. She looked like she was about ten years old.

"Hello Jaren and Larisa, I am happy to meet you." Athena said as she smiled at the two apprentices.

The other male stepped forward. He was around five foot ten with black hair and black eyes. Athena though he looked around seventeen years of age or near there.

"I am Coruthus Stormfire and I am glad to meet you," he said. 'Like hell I am glad, ' Coruthus thought to himself, 'by the Gods, where does Star gather these wretched curs?'

As she took his hand, she felt a shudder go up her back. Something about this person sent shivers down her spine. "I am happy to meet you," she said, forcing the feeling of disgust away.

"Athena, these are Sheila and Sandra Heartstone," said Asirel from off to her right side.

Athena turned to see whom Asirel was introducing, and she met her first set of twins. They both had blond hair and green eyes. They stood about five foot two and looked around fifteen years of age.

"I am glad to meet both of you." Athena said as she shook their hands.

"Welcome Athena to our home, I am Sheila. You can always tell us apart because I wear a red ribbon in my hair while my sister always wears a blue one."

"Thank you Sheila, I was just going to ask that."

"Hi, I am Zandris Firebolt."

Zandris was three foot eight inches tall and has brown hair and blue eyes. She looked like she was around seven years old.

"Hello Zandris how are you?" Athena asked the young girl.

"I am fine. This is my best friend Tammeria. She is very shy."

Tammeria punched her friend in her left arm and then blushed as she mumbled something.

"Hello Tammeria, I am very happy to meet you too." Athena said as she knelt and smiled at the young girl. She stood four feet tall and has brown hair and hazel eyes. She looked to be around seven years of age as well. As Tammeria waved to her, Athena noticed that everyone had stopped talking. She slowly stood up and turned around, and saw Star coming down the stairs. She was wearing a sky blue robe, which glittered from the many embroidered glyphs on it. The tiara which graced her brow matched the stunning emerald and ruby necklace draped regally around her neck.

"Greetings, my apprentices. I see you have met your new colleague. Are you all ready to go?"

In a combined voice, they answer. "Yes Mistress, we are."

"Good let's go, your mounts are waiting for you. Athena, you will come with me out front." As the apprentices started to leave, Star spoke again, "Coruthus, you left your window open again!"

"Sorry Mistress, I will go up and close it immediately." At his words, Coruthus walked up the stairs as he thought evil thoughts, 'Damn her, she is always embarrassing me like this. I swear one day, after I have learned everything I can, she will bow before me and call me 'Master'.'

Athena watched Coruthus go up the stairs. The feeling of unease went with him.

Star leaned in and whispered in Athena ear, "Athena, be careful of Coruthus, I do not trust him. I was obligated to take over his training when his previous Master was killed. There is a darkness about him; I feel he will die a violent death."

"Mistress, when I shook his hand I felt a shiver go up my back." she whispered back.

Nodding her head, Star said, "Come, follow me," as she walked out the side door.

Turning Athena followed Star out the side door of the hidden mansion, and she found herself standing where they had first entered the house several hours ago.

"Why are we here my Lady?" Athena asked Star.

"Swift comes with your mount, so we can journey to the city. In fact there he is now," Star said as she pointed to the North.

Athena turned to look where Star was indicating. She saw Swift flying towards them and below him ran what looked like a horse towards them as well.

"Oh my! It seems Swift has outdone himself this time." Star said in surprise as she noticed something about the mount for the young girl.

Confused Athena looked up at Star, and asked, "Why do you say that my Lady?"

"You will see soon child," Star responded with a wry smile.

Athena stood there and waited for her mount. She thought to herself, 'I wonder what it could be' suddenly she saw a sparkle of sunlight off its forehead then her mount disappeared.

"Where did he go Mistress?" Athena asked in surprise.

Star felt the magic of the creatures teleportation spell and slowly turned around and looked at the magnificent beast.

"Athena, I want you to turn around very slowly." Star said to her apprentice.

Confused, Athena said, "Yes Mistress," and slowly turned around, as Star told her to do.

Turned fully around Athena saw the most wondrous animal that would be her mount, its sides heaving from his run, and his strong muscular body was as black as midnight sky. His silver horn jutted majestically from his forehead. With a gasp of breath, she realized that she was seeing her very first unicorn.

With tears in her eyes, Athena blurted out, "Mistress, it is a unicorn. Oh, he is so beautiful. Is he mine?"

"No child, he is not yours. He is your companion. Treat him well, and he will always come back to you."

"I could never hurt him. What is his name?"

"Athena how should I know what his name is, you will need to learn that for yourself."

"I understand. I will call him Silver for now if he will let me."

As if he understood her, Silver starts nodding his head in agreement.

"Athena, he seems to agree with your name. Now you will need a saddle and reins for him." Star said and started to cast a spell to make the items appear. A mist appeared next to Silver. The mist covered a small area next to the unicorn's side, and when it dissipated, a saddle, and all the necessary harness tack appeared on the ground beside him.

"It seems Silver has came prepared for you to ride him. Come, I will show you how to put the equipment on him."

Fifteen minutes later Silver stood there saddled and ready to ride.

Athena reached up and gently stroked the withers of the magnificent beast. Her eyes misted slightly as she took in his radiant beauty.

Silver turned his head and set his horn on his pet's shoulder. Healing magic flooded into her body, repairing all the injuries. At the same time, her mind was flooded with his love for her.

"Athena, here comes the rest of the group," Star said to her newest apprentice.

Athena turned and saw the rest of her new friends riding towards her. They were mounted on a variety of animals, from simple horses to a majestic griffin.

"Okay form up people, we must get to the city. Athena you ride next to Asirel and help keep an eye on the little ones."

"Yes Mistress," Athena responded as she scrambled up on to Silver's back.

Once they were all mounted up, they rode over the hill. They descended the hillside towards the city in the distance. An hour later, they topped another small hill and they saw the city of Kartland stretched out before them. The city, built like a giant V, stretched to cover both sides of the bay. Out in the center of the protected water, a huge fortress was under construction. They rode down the road to one of the city gates. The guards must have seen the group approaching, because a path had been cleared for them as they reached the gate. Star spoke briefly to one of the guards and they were quickly granted access to the city.

Buildings rose up on each side of them. Inns and taverns sprawled everywhere along with merchant shops, butchers, and many other vendors that were necessary to feed a large city. Athena stared at all the new sights as the group rode along, heading towards the church. Her eyes wander over the people and then her eyes lock onto a shirt. Her breath was taken away from her as she looked closely at the man's face and she realized it was one of the men who had raped her. He seemed to be selling something to another man. Athena looked closely at what the man was selling and another shock came to her. It was her mother's necklace.

Asirel heard Athena gasp in surprise and when she looked at her, she noticed her tan skin was white with fear. Reaching out, she set her hand on Athena's shoulder.

"Athena, what is the matter?"

Athena's eyes were wide with fear and she looked at her new friend.

"Asirel, I need to speak with Star right away, I see one of the men who raped me."

"What? Where?" Asirel said as she looked around quickly.

Athena raised her hand and pointed at the man, and said with fear in her voice, "That man in the red shirt with the silver fringe."

"Okay I see him, you go get Star. I will watch him." Asirel said as she saw who Athena was pointing at.

"I will be right back." she spoke quietly as she moved around the other apprentices to get up front.

"Mistress Star, I need to talk with you."

Star was reviewing the bonding spell of marriage when Athena's plea interrupts her thoughts.

"Not now Athena," she snapped.

"Star it is important that I speak with you." Athena whined

"I said not ... What is the matter Athena, you seem terrified. You're white as a ghost." Star said, as she looked the frightened girl in the face.

With tears forming in her eyes, Athena stammered out as she shook in fear, "Staaar, one of the men who raped meee. Heee is here."

"Are you sure ... never mind of course you are, where is he?" Star said with anger in her voice.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.