H.M.S. Swiftshire - Cover

H.M.S. Swiftshire

Copyright© 2008 by Monbade

Chapter 6: Betrayal

Three weeks before Captain Tallfeather took command of the Swiftshire in a distance star sector named Kanis, six dead planets circle a small red dwarf star. Around the third planet, a science station studied the strange radiation given off by the star. Aboard the Confederation of Power science station red one, twenty-nine men and woman watched their scanners, as seven cruisers appeared out of hyper and closed on the station.

Commander Miles walked over to the communications unit. "Attention unidentified ships you are in confederation territory. Do not approach any closer. You must leave our territory. Please respond!" He waited for a response and then turned to a young ensign, and ordered, "Ensign Race, raise shields and bring weapons online, but do not target the ships.

"Aye, aye, Sir. Shield up and weapons online. Should I warm up the HARM?"

"Good idea, download the log into the HARM and prepare to send it off."

Aboard the light cruiser Galleon, Captain William Gunther watched as his seven light cruisers moved towards the station. With a final glance at the CIC board, he said, "Alright Lieutenant Howl, send the message."

"Right away Sir," Turning to his station, he said, "Science station red one you are ordered to lower shields and be prepared to be boarded. Any resistance will..."

Aboard the station, " ... be met with deadly force. Do not launch your HARM, Captain Gunther of the Gormarian light cruiser Gallon."

As the scientists started talking among themselves Commander Miles shouted, "QUIET! I cannot hear myself think. Ensign Race, please update the HARM, set coordinates for New Delhi and launch it. Use the planet to shield it from their sensors,"

As the ensign did as he was ordered, he moved a spare HARM into the launch position and changed the records as to show only having one missile. "Sir, I have moved the second HARM into the empty tubes and adjusted the records to show only one missile. If they miss seeing the one we launched we may get away with this."

"Good Idea," Commander Miles said and turned to the crowd, and continued, "Okay everyone get into your suits. Just incase they open fire on us and get down to the boat bay one, if we have to we will abandon the station and head for the surface station."

As the people file out he turned back to the screen, and said, "Open the channel ensign. Gormarian ships this is a neutral station we are complying with your orders but do so under duress. Close signal. Lets get into our suits ensign. Then get back here," Commander Miles said as he walked out the door and went to his room where he quickly pulled on his suit. Walking back onto the bridge he saw the ships closing in towards the station.


Aboard the heavy cruiser Carson Wilson hiding behind the planet, sensors detect the HARM as it came around the planet. "Captain Tallen, I have a HARM missile coming towards us. Should I engage it?"

"Negative Lieutenant Senji, allow it to go on its way. It's what we want." Captain Tallen said as he walked over to the sensors and watches the missile boost to hyper speed. "Go my little chick bring us some targets. Order the Gallon to destroy the station Code Alpha One. Watch for anymore HARM's if you see them engage and destroy them at once."

The communications officer turned to his console and tried to raise the Gallon "This is the cruiser Carson Wilson, come in Gallon. You are here by ordered to destroy the station by Captain Tallen's orders are Alpha One, I repeat Alpha One. Come in Gallon. "

Aboard the cruiser Gallon an ensign turned to Captain Gunther "Captain I have a message from the cruiser Carson Wilson they say Alpha One destroy the station."

Captain Gunther turned and started issuing orders, "To all ship, open fire on the station, I repeat Alpha One is in effect. Then destroy the ground station."


Aboard the station, Ensign Race was back at the communication counsel and goes white. "Sir I have just overheard a message to all the Gormarian cruisers. They have been ordered to destroy the station."

"Damn it they saw the HARM, Ensign Race transfer all but bay power to the shields. Lock down your board and get to the shuttle bay. I am right behind you." As the ensign raced out the door, he launched the second harm on a different course with an updated log and that they are going to hide on the surface. He turned and raced out the door as the first lasers started hitting the shields.

Thirty seconds later, he burst through the doors to the bay and into the shuttle. As the doors closed, the bay doors opened and the ship hurtled down to the planet below.

"Ensign, use the canyons to hide us and moved us to the hidden site. Do not go to primary surface station. I have a feeling they know about the main."

The shuttle dropped down to the dead planet's surface and raced through canyons that were three times the size of the Grand Canyon on old Earth. High above a bright flare came from the death of the station known as Red One.


Aboard the Carson Wilson the sensor officer watched as another HARM missiles flew from the station as he tracked it, and he said, "Sir I have another missile launch its heading away from us, towards the," Suddenly there was a flash as the station exploded, "Damn it I lost it, the station blew up and now I cannot see anything."

With a nod of his head to Lieutenant Senji, and said, "That's Okay Senji. Send the message to the fleets. Station destroyed come to the party."


Unknown to the Gormarian's there would be witnesses to their actions. As the shuttle moved into the hidden depot, missiles started impacting on the station across the planet.


Off in the distance of space three Gormarian battle fleets started appearing in the system. They spread out to wait for the enemy fleet that would soon appear. Minelayers ran deeper into the system and started laying their mines, when done two hundred thousand mines were deployed, and the mines faded from sight as they activated their stealth system. After the last mine was laid, the minelayers then hypered out heading for home as their job was done.


In New Delhi, Grand Admiral Vincent Sirius was relaxing with his wife in his home when the HARM missile appeared in the system screaming its warning for all to hear and see.

Nancy Sirius her auburn haired was tied in a ponytail walked over to the table with a tea pot in her hand and asked, "More tea, my dear?" as he studied reports of the navel strengths for Alderian and Gormarian militaries.

"Yes love, did you see this report about the Alderian navy?" he asked as he held up his cup for more tea. After she poured the tea, he adds some sugar and cream to it as he read more of the report, "It said here that they are down to ten percent of capital ships, no carriers and sixteen battle cruisers."

"Yes, I noticed that, they are on their last leg, one good strong push and they will be gone. You know who will be next don't you?" She sat back down and started reading her e-mail, "Oh Jenny is going to have another baby."

"Yes we will and then ... What another? That's what five?" he said as he smiled at his happy wife, and he continued, "Damn that man needs to let her rest."

Nancy Sirius pouted at her husband and replied, "Hey old man they are your grandkids too and I see you spoiling each and every one of them."

Vincent opened his mouth and a hearty laugh came from him, "Yes, I do, and if memory serves me, my dad used to say 'that's our job', as he was spoiling Jenny just as we would... " he stopped laughing and looked at the computer as it chimed for him.


The ten million ton defense station Gandhi, circled the fourth planet of the New Delia system. Her sensors reached out to deep space looking for all hostile ships that could be approaching the system. Deep in the CIC of the station, a board lit up as a HARM missile dropped out of hyper and started screaming its warning.

"Sir, I have a HARM missile dropping out of hyper, she's downloading her info now into the computer." After a few seconds, she continued her report, "Its issuing a code red for Kanis. The station there reports under threat of capture by seven Gormarian light cruisers. Second HARM coming in, downloading information now." She watched as more intelligence is pored into the computer, and continued, "I have a second message coming in from Kanis sector. Station under heavy attack by seven light cruisers, also thirteen heavy cruisers and one battleship hiding behind the sixth planet."

"Thank you Lieutenant Yu, get me Admiral Sirius, I think he spent the night ashore with his wife. So try his residence first."

"Contacting the planet now," Connection established with Admiral Sirius home," she said as she activated the main screen for Commander Moon."


"Who the hell is contacting me now? I told everyone I didn't want to be disturbed," He said as he got up and walked over to the board.

"Honey, you know they wouldn't contact you if it wasn't important," Nancy said as she ate another croissant.

"Yes, I know dear, but it would be nice to have some quiet time with you. God knows, I haven't been able to in months," he said as he blew her a kiss. Then turned and pressed the accept key, and said into the com unit, "Yes, who is," as the image of Commander Moon appeared on the screen.

"Sorry to intrude Admiral, but..."

"Commander what's up?

"Sir we have just received two HARM's from the Kanis sector. They report station under attack by seven Gormarian light cruisers, and another thirteen heavy cruisers and one battleship hiding behind the sixth planet."

Admiral Sirius took a deep breath and asked, "What about the crew of the station?"

"Nothing, except they were abandoning the station and heading for the surface, I assume they headed to the surface base or one of the secondary ones to ride it out."

"Okay, I think the 5th fleet as it is the ready fleet, I will head for the Dreadnaught Samantha and take her as my flagship, start issuing a recall of all ships and crews it looks like we are going to war."

"Yes, Sir, sending your orders now, see you soon sir," Commander Moon said as he broke the connection.

Walking over to his wife, he gave her a kiss, "Tell Jenny I love her and I cannot wait to see my new grandson or daughter." Gently touching her cheek, he continued, "You take care, my love."

Grabbing him behind the head, she pulls him into a kiss. When they separate, she said, "God speed and good luck my husband come back to me. Our bed will be lonely with out you. Now go before I cry." pushing him into the bedroom where he gathered up his armor and his clothes. "I will have Michele bring the flitter around for you." As tears came to her eyes she turned and walked to the com and made the call for her husband as he packed.

Within minutes he was back at the door, kissing her goodbye, he walked out the door and climbed into the back seat of his ride after he tossed his luggage onto the seat. Strapping himself in, he said in to the car's com unit, "Michele, get me to the airbase now."

The flitter shot up into the sky and away to the northeast. Flying over the trees of the estate and merging with the traffic was headed for the city.

Back at the house, his wife collapsed into herself as she burst into tears. One of the maids came out, and helped her to her bed then called her daughter to let her know that her mother needed her.


Admiral Sirius's flitter landed at the military base and he walked over to the shuttle. Going up the ramp, he tossed his luggage in the luggage rack and sat down. The shuttle started rolling down the launch tube and with a blast of its main engines it lifted off into the sky.

"Get me the dreadnaught Samantha I want to talk with the captain."

"Aye, Aye. Sir," The communications officer said as he contacted the huge ship orbiting the planet, "Contact established sir. I have Captain Mary Anderson on line two."

"Thank you," Turning to the view screen he pressed the icon for the second line, "Captain get the fleet together, we have a mission. Your ship will be my flag, I have no flag crew with me so can you assign me some?"

"Right away, Admiral, What's the situation, we got the general order?"

"It seems the Gormarian's have decided to attack us now, so we are in the war finally. They have attacked the Kanis system and probably have destroyed the research station there. We are taking the 5th battle fleet there and tell them in no certain terms that they shouldn't have attacked us. Once I am aboard, head out system and order all our support units to form on us."

"Aye Sir, sending the recall now, just so you know, the Deadfall is in dry dock with her hull open in order to replace a hyper generator. She won't be able to join us."

"Damn that's our only super-dreadnaught. Okay we will have to do without her, that still gives us nine dreadnaughts, three carriers, ten battleships, twenty heavy cruisers, thirty light cruisers, sixty destroyers and five search and rescue ships. That's more then enough for twenty cruisers and one battleship. Order of battle is Oscar nine-one. The flagship will be in the center. That will be all captain." He turned the communications off and sat back as the shuttle broke free of the atmosphere, climbing it's way towards the fourteen million ton ship. The shuttle quickly landed in the massive bay with the doors sliding shut as the dreadnaught moved away from its parking orbit. Standing up he started walking towards the door, as he said, "Ensign have my luggage taken to my quarters."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.