Timeless - Cover

Timeless

Copyright© 2008 by Yoron

Chapter 8

Now I don't know about you, and I sure didn't know anything about Elfland either but when people enroll me in their schemes without asking, it kind of get my hackles up. It pisses me off royally to be absolutely truthful, I'm reasonably sure that I wasn't put on this planet, or any planet at all, to become someone's loyal subject. Well, at least I believed so before meeting Evelyn, that is.

But her and Jéena is one thing, those two old geezers scheming something entirely different. So, nope, sorry, no deal, bye, bye. I'm what obstinate is made of if you get my drift, so, whatever you got it won't work I thought to myself. That put aside I could now concentrate on my real concerns. How to drink my tankard as fast as humanly possible, and then how to best sneak back in between my two sleeping beauties before Evelyn noticed.

That first concern was rater easy actually, and very enjoyable too if I may add. In fact it was so enjoyable that I had to redo it. The second time it was even better. And then both were feeling alone so I had no choice but sending down a third to keep them company.

It gave such a pleasant satisfied glow to the proceedings I felt, I could easily understand why it was in such demand as a thirst quencher. I decided to tiptoe back to my girls to carefully insinuate myself in between them. Where I before had seen the task as insurmountable I now at worst saw it as moderately challenging.

With my newly won confidence I felt sure that if worst came to worst, a few calming words and a slight smile would do wonders with my little darlings attitude. And if it didn't? Well, then I just had to remind her, in no uncertain language mind you, that there were other fishes in the ocean, wouldn't I. I'm a man baby, I could hear myself explain sternly, I will roam and yes, I hunt.

We all have our urges and a man needs his space. You're a girl Evelyn and that's different. And all of it naturally in the most comforting tone to exemplify to her the full depth of my care and understanding. Yep, I've got all the bases covered I thought smugly to myself as I started to work my way back in between those two glorious babes.

Perhaps I should have been a trifle more cautious as I did it though. I don't know how it happened really, but when I was finished it was Jéena who's head was resting in my lap and somehow Evelyn now was draped all around me with her hands resting where they might be severely misunderstood should Jéena wake up prematurely.

I tried to correct it but somehow it just made it worse. I could now hear sniggers spreading in the chamber and looking up I unhappily found me being the new focal point, of undivided interest, by all. It was at that moment Master Alphonz with a truly devilish smile choose to clasp his hands together, deliberately and loud. "Ahem, as I was saying before. You'll make a most interesting apprentice Joe, wouldn't you agree Evelyn?"

Evelyn who didn't seem all too happy with being waked up so abruptly, almost hanging over my shoulder as she was, shook her head to clear her thoughts. "Sorry Alphonz, would you repeat that please?" As Alphonz retold his litany she looked at me, then down at Jéena still happily snoring away in my lap, then back at me but now sniffing the air as if there was something unpleasant hiding there.

Sitting there I suddenly found myself doubtful. The plan I had formulated in my head just before, and which then had seemed absolutely foolproof, had by now started to fracture dangerously. Could she or could she not read my mind? And what was it she smelled?

Her hands, who before just had seemed a slight nuisance as they were placed, by now started to worry me a lot. She had started to clench and unclench them as she sniffed and her nails, which by now more and more resembled small scalpels to my imagination, left me no rest. It was all to near my pride and joy for me. "Remember Evelyn how you like children. Babies sweet Evelyn, wouldn't you like babies?"

She looked at me again as if trying to decipher what I meant, then she followed my gaze down and slowly she gave me a small but grimly satisfied smile. Studying me, nodding emphatically she just left them there for me to see, clenching and unclenching rhythmically with the nails glistening in blood-red nail polish.

Was this the moment to explain that she only was a girl I wondered. Nah, what had seemed so reasonable before, now looked as the very height of foolishness to me, as well as a sure road to destruction. " Are you angry Evelyn?" I whispered. While whispering I could see several of our onlookers now leaning forward as if striving to hear.

"You know very well you, you drunkard!" She whispered back furiously. "Drunkard?" I replied trying my best to sound surprised. "If you by that mean that I was thirsty and the only thing to drink was that green stuff? It was very good by the way. Oh, you mean it contained alcohol? I never even noticed baby."

Scrutinizing my appearance she seemed to become sad suddenly. "I promised myself." She reminded herself in a low tone. "Never ever again would I get involved with anyone drinking but here I am, and with you, a mere boy. You're not even dry behind the ears yet, are you Joe." By now I had started to feel a little guilty as I listened to her, still, She could have told me, couldn't she?

And even if I had known, I think I still would have wanted a taste. "Look Evelyn." I pointed out, somewhat irked, "I don't go around fighting just because I had a drink or two you know. I'm basically a very laid back guy, drunk or sober." I tried to probe her a little. "So, I guess you have had some bad experiences then?"

She looked at me without seeming to see me for a moment, then she smiled wistfully as if remembering something sad. This time her smile felt more sincere though. "Let's talk about that later Joe, that involves things that still hurts." She said noticing our audience. "I think it's time you wake up our sleeping beauty here." I looked down at Jéena marveling at her capacity for sleeping through almost anything and then shook her lightly while whispering "scoones!" in her right ear.

To which her immediate response was "Yes, thank you." Without even opening her eyes. "Ach soo. Now you're awake my liebchen. Gut, das thou surrender." I asked her in my best guttural German accent. She opened her eyes briefly looking very confused, desperately trying to remember where she was. All of a sudden she saw that she was resting in my lap and, her face coloring into crimson, she quickly looked askance at Evelyn, who just smiled back reassuringly. At that she seemed to relax somewhat again.

Thinking of it I wondered if 'drunkard' was the worst word Evelyn knew? In this world of theirs there seemed to be little need for expletives and diminishing people. It kind of made me feel warm inside seeing it. Banter and teasing they had, anger and war too. But comparing that with how people in Mundania behaved, constantly needling others to prove themselves better or in some indefinable way more 'worthy' really simplified my choice of living. No way I wanted to go back to that.

As I see it we're all human beings, even though different in many ways. To believe yourself 'superior' is just another form of insanity in my eyes. We can all find situations where we are superior, to our children for example. Does that mean that we are better than they are? Intelligence can be as ignorant as the worst savage. Never confuse it with wisdom. We're all human beings, nothing more but also, nothing less.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.