Sword Saint: a New Start
Chapter 40:Adventure at Miss Theresa's

Copyright© 2008 by Shaddoth

Chandra and I were busy for the next couple of days. The only time we were able to relax was when the tailors came to measure us for the new outfits I wanted us to have. Lady Megan had plenty, according to Chandra, so we didn't have that extra delay. I did not let our schedule interfere with her training; I made plans with the Sisters for us to work on our teamwork.

We made it an afternoon at the Temple. Chandra and I needed to learn how to work together as an effective team when push came to shove. Chandra kept to my left in support of me as we fought back waves of paired soldiers. It was awkward at first; I had rarely worked with a partner before, and it showed. Chandra was used to working with a partner, but not one anything like me. Even so, she adapted faster than I did. What I planned for a simple afternoon extended into a very long evening.

Because of our difficulties in working with each other, I pushed back our departure date two more days. We needed the practice. Even though either of us could individually deal with any of the soldiers that attacked us in a controlled environment, we still needed to learn how to deal with groups without tripping over each other.

When I informed Megan about staying for two more days. She went ballistic on me. She accused me of all sorts of things, the least of which was me lying to her.

"My Lady, if I didn't plan on taking you home I would have never told you that I would do so. The only reason for the delay is that Chandra and I are not ready yet. Two more days should be sufficient. But. But, mind you, if they are not then I will postpone our departure. Her safety is just as important as yours is.

"If I didn't care about your safety, I would have hired a carriage and let you be captured by Steven. If that is what you desire, then say so. Your wedding will be an interesting occasion."

"Duke Steven made promises too, at the beginning. He didn't keep his either."

"I'm not Steven. I told you that I would take you home and I shall."

She turned away from me and effectively dismissed me as she went back to reading her book. I didn't want to continue arguing so I went to wash up and call it a night.

Thankfully, after the third day of exhaustive training we started working in tandem. It was only a start, but a good start at that. I knew that I felt better about our chances, and I think that Chandra did too. I would have to make sure that we kept working on this every evening for the foreseeable future.

A messenger arrived to let me know that my signet ring was ready. Miss Theresa showed me her work, and it was flawless. How she ever got it done in less than a month was beyond me.

"Miss Theresa, you are a true artist." The sword was made of beautifully carved platinum, the hilt looked to be a miniature platinum spring all sunk into a gold ring. Scrollwork was etched on the face around the hilt of the ring. The gold was melted and poured into some sort of a mould, leaving her to hand work the platinum.

I put the ring on my right hand and it fit snugly. There was just enough play for my finger to swell and have it still be comfortable. I would have to get a few pairs of gloves to protect both it and my hand.

I stopped admiring my new ring and looked to Miss Theresa, I could see the pride of creation shining in her face. She transformed from average to beautiful in the space of a few heartbeats. Before this I had never seen such a drastic change of a person's countenance.

I had prepaid for this, but she deserved a bonus. I pulled out five silver and set it on the counter. It wasn't enough, but it was all the coin I had on me.

"This is perfect. I am in your debt, Miss Theresa." I hadn't noticed before—I was too busy admiring my new ring—but she was rubbing her hand in pain. I saw a discoloration on the back of her left hand that her right thumb kept rubbing.

Without asking her permission, I reached out and took hold of her left hand. She tried to snatch it back, I wasn't letting go.

"What are you doing?" She was starting to panic.

I focused on her hand, and poured my strength into it with a prayer for her complete recovery. The damage must have been extensive, and so must have been the pain. This healing took more effort from me than anyone that I had healed before.

The dark discoloration started to fade as I poured my strength into her. She stopped struggling and let me finish my work on her hand.

When she collapsed I barely caught her, as weak as I was. I called out for some help. Two young girls came running out, followed by a nervous gangly man.

"She seemed to have fainted. Make some tea and bring something for her to eat." I ordered him, and then carried her over to an overstuffed chair she had set out for her customers. The girls surrounded their mother. The eldest started to cry, and the little one clutched Miss Lori's leg.

"Is this your mom?" The little one nodded. "It's ok, your mom will be just fine. She exhausted herself and fell asleep," I tried to use my gentle voice and it seemed to help some. Neither was hysterical, that was what I aimed for. I wasn't good with kids.

Her husband came back in with some tea and bread which was my cue to wake her. I gently shook her and called her name before standing back and letting him minister to her. She was weak, but she would recover and be better than before.

I stood in the background, while they all fussed over her until she was strong enough to sit up without their help. Then she looked at me cautiously. She was still absently rubbing her hand.

"What did you do to me?" she whispered, fear underlining her words for her husband to catch.

"I healed you. Some of the acid that you used to etch the gold must have spilled on the back of your hand. Breathing in the fumes for a long time also weakened your lungs.

"When working with acids such as nitric acid and hydrochloric acid, I would recommend keeping some baking soda handy. Mix some of the soda in water and apply it to the flesh after you wash the area thoroughly. I would also recommend wearing a damp cloth over your mouth and nose to trap the fumes so that you don't breathe them in."

She waved the children off and told her husband to take the children away, he herded the children without a word, just a worried glance in my direction.

I spent the next few minutes educating her on the proper method of using acids and how to neutralize them for her. It seems that they called baking soda, bread soda.

Miss Theresa looked at me flabbergasted. I wasn't sure if she followed me.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.