Sword Saint: a New Start - Cover

Sword Saint: a New Start

Copyright© 2008 by Shaddoth

Chapter 39: A plan

Chandra was moving slowly the next morning. I teased her about not letting them hit her next time. She gave me that dirty look that teenaged girls are born knowing. I chuckled and sat down for the breakfast that our new cook made for us. After we finished a heavier breakfast than any at Miss Lori's, Chandra and I went to the new stable that Chandra found for our horses, we would be needing a mount each, one for Megan, and a couple extra riding horses used as pack animals.

The trip to Richard's was nice, a light breeze actually made it pleasant. Chandra was still a little sore and kept to herself.

"Was I the only one in the city that did not know that you were a princess, Chandra?" I asked just to make conversation.

"Yes, Milord."

"How do you feel about a trip to Fairview?"

"We are going to return Lady Megan home?" She perked up at this.

"Have you been there?"

"No, Milord, but I have heard that the city is nice."

"I don't expect an uneventful trip. My guess is that Steven will make at least one more attempt to kill me and get her back. That means all three of us will be at risk."

"I already knew that." She was being petulant again.

"Chandra," I warned, and left it at that.

We arrived to a busy household; it looked like packing day. Lady Elizabeth greeted us at the door and let me know that Lady Megan would be down shortly. Then she strode off to see to her children.

Lady Megan came down the stairs wearing a riding outfit. It was a blue silk blouse with a linen ivory vest. She also wore a divided ivory skirt and doeskin boots. I, for one, fully appreciated her beauty. Though I didn't think that she would appreciate it if I stared, so I tried not to.

I inquired cheerfully. "Good morning, My Lady, are you up for a ride?"

"As you wish, My Lord," she replied formally.

Ah, she's still pissed at me.

"Chandra, would you get the Lady's effects?" I brought extra horses for this contingency. "Lady Megan will not be returning any time soon," I added. Megan did not even blink at that.

"I have a horse for you, My Lady, I hope that she will be satisfactory."

"I will manage, My Lord. I can ride."

"Good, let's find your hosts and thank them."

Elizabeth found us again before I even had a chance to look for her. She gave Megan a warm hug and told us to come and visit any time, for we would always be welcome at Water Wind. Richard met us outside and repeated his wife's invitation. We both thanked him while I helped Lady Megan mount. When I went to mount myself, Richard went over to Megan and offered her one more piece of advice. He was quiet; I couldn't make out what he said to her. Richard wished me good luck.

I had figured that on the way to my new house I would give Megan the choice of preferred residence in the city, but I decided against it. I wanted to keep an eye on her. I waved Chandra to ride ahead of us and I fell in beside Megan.

"My Lady, I have just purchased a townhouse in the city, you are more than welcome to stay there indefinitely, or I could take you home. Which would you have me do?" I already knew her answer, but I was not dumb enough to leave her without a choice.

Surprise, hope and disbelief all warred on her face. Megan went to say something but she choked on the words, not quite getting out more than 'home"

There was no way that I could deny the hope in her eyes. "If it is alright with you, we would leave in a few days, we need to make some preparations first," I offered.

"Why would you do this, My Lord?" There was hope in her voice that was battling with the anger and mistrust. She looked at my face, not truly believing me.

I reined in Juniper making Megan turn her horse around and come back to me. I sat with a calm that I didn't feel and tried not to let my hurt and anger show. Her continued mistrust grated on my nerves.

"Have I ever lied to you, Lady Megan?" I asked softly.

She paused before replying, "Not that I know of." The mistrust was still in her voice. I could see Chandra stopping the horses. She was ahead of us and had noticed that we had stopped.

"Look at it from my point of view. I go out of my way to rescue a damsel, apparently in distress, and ask for nothing in return. At every juncture I get questioned by said damsel." I began to state my position, "Is this questioning of my actions because the aforementioned damsel would never do anything as unselfish as to help another without expecting compensation? Or is there another reason that the damsel is so mistrustful?" Leaving her with that thought, I spurred Juniper forward and ordered Chandra back to watch her.

I rode ahead of them. Honestly I wasn't sure that I wanted to talk to either of them right then. I ended up riding alone with them behind me the rest of the way back to the city. At the gate I waited for them to catch up to me while I ignored the guards and the peasants wanting entry. Once they caught up, I made sure that I stayed ahead of them again as we made our way though the city to my new house

When we reached the new place, I didn't dismount. I asked Chandra to get Megan situated while I ran some errands.

"My Lady, I have errands to run. Forgive me for not staying to entertain you, but I must be off. Please rely on Chandra and Cara for your needs." With that I was gone without giving her a chance to speak.

I was being unreasonable, but damn it, I'm allowed to be unreasonable, too.

I would need a map, since I had absolutely no clue where anything was on this world. I also needed to stop by the temple and pay Mother Browynn a visit, I wanted her to send a patrol out to Kira's Valley since I could not be in two places at the same time. I had figured out earlier that Chandra and I wouldn't be able to guard the whole valley. They were going to need numbers to have a chance to withstand any serious attempt to invade the valley. Whereas escorting Lady Megan would be doable with only the two of us, as long as we had a couple of competent carriage drivers.

First, I needed to go to Miss Lori's and have the rest of Megan's things delivered. Miss Lori was there, and promised that she would deliver the rest of Lady Megan's clothes. She also hinted that Lady Megan had not yet gotten around to paying this month's bill. I did that too, before leaving. I didn't intend on letting anyone know that we would be returning Lady Megan home soon. As much as I wanted to let Miss Lori know, I didn't think it would be wise to tell her.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.