Sword Saint: a New Start - Cover

Sword Saint: a New Start

Copyright© 2008 by Shaddoth

Chapter 34: She hates me, she hates me not

I was glad of the short ride back. The same soldier that brought me the horse met me when I returned. He asked solicitously about my ride, not even mentioning the different livery of the horse.

"I'll leave it up to you to return this horse and get yours back. Oh, and soldier, thank him for me would you. I was not in the best of tempers when I left."

"Yes, Milord," the soldier responded and mounted the horse that I just left.

I walked around the house to the exercise yard and knelt, trying to find something resembling my center.

The nobility of this kingdom needs to be weeded. I just don't want to be the one that gets stuck doing it.

I gave up after five minutes of failing to come anywhere close. I drew my sword and I attacked. I attacked hard. I hadn't let go completely since I'd arrived in this world, so this was a first for me. I didn't care who was watching, so I called forth the power that was within me and let it show in my movements.

Bright Lady, show Duchess Polyantha the way. Even if it is her anger at me that makes her do the right for the Kiras is fine by me.

I felt her warm embrace as I attacked the bugs that flew around me. I was more successful than I could possibly imagine before this week happened. My control was insanely accurate. I was actually cutting some of the larger flying bugs out of the air. I didn't come anywhere near close to finding my center, so I ended up using my anger as a focus.

I turned my anger on to a swarm of smaller gnat-like bugs and tried to pick out individuals. I missed four in a row and focused deeper and deeper into myself until I hit more than I missed. I kept this up until the swarm flew out of my reach. I didn't even realize that my center was back until I slowed down to cool off. I decided to press on and concentrate harder.

I focused deeper still until there was only my sword and myself. I could feel the air resisting my sword and my body as I moved into a new pattern, one that was just coming to me. I had no idea what it was for, but it was going to be important to me eventually.

It was harder to learn, let alone master, than any I had tried before. I worked on the steps until they flowed together. It didn't occur to me that I was using power to increase my agility to a point that no other man could duplicate the moves that I was doing, let alone string them together and try to make use of them. I had no idea how much time passed before I was fearfully asked by one of the servants if I was going to join the household for lunch.

I ignored her and kept working on this new pattern. The key for linking the individual moves together was almost in my grasp. I worked on a particular element for longer than normal; before I came close to what I wanted. It still wasn't perfect, but it allowed me to link the separate elements together. This was going to take a lot of work to get right.

I stopped after I was able to link each of the elements into one long series of moves. I collapsed into myself, starving. I was weaker than I had ever felt before. My body was craving food and had other needs that I was neglecting. I saw a half loaf of bread and some ale just a short distance away and I feebly crawled over to the meal that someone had left me and devoured it. After I had eaten I started cooling off my overworked muscles with a mild set of stretches before I cramped up.

Hell, it's midafternoon.

I had been at this for hours. I was tired, sweaty, and dirty. I needed more food and a shower. In that order.

Goddess, I miss showers.

I finished the mug of ale and went to find someone to point me to a bath. Strangely, the yard was empty. I looked around and there was no one in sight. All the curtains facing the yard were closed except for one, and that was one of the bedrooms on the second level. Megan's bedroom, I would guess, but I wasn't sure. I walked around the estate for a bit, just keeping my muscles warm and winding down before I ate anything more.

The soldiers gave me a formal salute when I walked up to the front entrance. If I wasn't careful everyone would soon know that I wasn't ordinary. I had been basking in being different. Just how different they didn't know. I wanted to be nobility so I acted like a noble. Now I couldn't be anything but different and a noble. No one would believe otherwise now. There were going to be more repercussions than I had expected from the public knowledge of my magic. Unfortunately for me, the only place that I felt truly at home was in Kassandra's compound and I was not welcome there. The customs of this place were dead set against men as priests. They would only accept me as a Wizard Lord.

Whatever the hell that is.

I was going to have to make my way in this world with little help.

Wherever I went though, the soldiers were on my side, if there was a side to be had. I could see their respect in their actions for me, and hopefully I wouldn't do anything to change that. They must have watched me workout without my noticing. Hell, I think that a bomb could have gone off and I wouldn't have noticed.

At least I hope that that's the reason.

"I'll need a horse in a half a candle. If you would ready one for me, I would appreciate it." They assured me that one would be ready for me, so I thanked them.

One of the maids was cleaning the foyer. I asked for a bath to be prepared for me while I ate. She curtsied and left to do so. The dining room was taken up by children receiving a lesson on the proper way to eat. I asked if I could join them with a large smile on my face. The children were very intent on making sure that they used the correct fork, so I was able to sit back and enjoy the meal without interruption. I could tell that my mere presence was an issue for the kids, but their governess kept them in line.

My reverie was interrupted by a maid letting me know that my bath was ready. Rick made a face at that, and I just smiled at him and said that this one was just for me. She led me to the washroom that was attached to the rear of the house. She looked like she was going to stay, and even though she was pretty, I vetoed that quickly. I asked her to clean my clothes while I bathed, since I didn't have another change of clothes here. She just brushed them off for me.

She returned before I was done, and I shooed her off so that I could dry myself and get dressed. I did ask to borrow a comb so that I could do something with my mop before it dried. Richard had gone to gather wood according to one of the maids and she directed me to Elizabeth when I asked if either one of my hosts was available. I walked in on Megan and Elizabeth while they were discussing last night's dance. Megan sounded less stressed than she had before.

That's something, at least.

"Pardon me, Ladies. I need to return to Miss Lori's. I have a Postulant to collect."

"Lady Megan," I turned to her, "you have the choice of returning to the city with me or not. I'm sure that Elizabeth would not mind being the gracious host for a few days, while I figure out how to return you to your home without Steven becoming a nuisance."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.