Sword Saint: a New Start - Cover

Sword Saint: a New Start

Copyright© 2008 by Shaddoth

Chapter 33: Truth and consequences.

I escorted Megan in, and we found Elizabeth in the sitting room reading a ledger of some sort. I remained standing after leading Megan to a couch. "I need to visit Lady Polyantha. Would it be too much for me to ask of you to entertain Lady Megan for a while until I return?" I asked Lady Elizabeth.

She placed her finger on the ledger before she looked up. "It would be our pleasure, Charles. Are you sure that you want to be alone with Lady Polyantha? She does have an unsavory reputation!"

"I've gathered that, I would gladly bypass her if you can think of a better way to see the king?"

"Why do you need to see the king?" Apparently Richard hadn't told her.

I repeated the story about the slavers and how they had depopulated the valley. I also relayed the message that Grandmother Kira sent. This was the first time that Megan heard it too.

"How many of the slavers did you kill my lord?" asked Elizabeth.

I glossed over that part; killing was not one of my favorite topics, and last night made me even more reticent. "Twenty-three."

"And you say that you didn't have any help." She stated.

"They were in small groups, My Lady." I was digging a hole and couldn't see the end.

"Where are you from, Charles? Not even a Sister of Kassandra would fare well against twenty-five men, and here you sit with not a scratch on you." Elizabeth looked intent. I couldn't see what she wanted or where she was going with this. I glanced at Megan and I couldn't read her either.

I heard a snort from behind me as Richard approached. "What are you getting at Elizabit? If you doubt his skill, just watch him practice. I would wager that he practiced every day since he was a lad."

"It's not that." She waved him off. "He carries a sword and scabbard unlike anything I have ever seen. He killed a Priestess of Bane who was trying to assassinate him. He's clearly not from around here. Look at him, he carries himself with more self-assurance than the King."

"My Lord," she turned to me. "What are you?" She asked pointedly.

I gestured to Richard to sit and he did. "I'm not from this world." I dropped that bombshell first. There was silence. "As I told Megan here earlier, I was in my carriage when I was blinded by a bright light. When I was able to see again, my carriage was trapped by trees." I started pacing. They remained silent, I could even hear the governess going over her lessons with the children in the next room.

"I came across a large cat in the forest and dedicated my kill to Kassandra. She accepted and gave me Her symbol." I took out my necklace and showed it to them. "Since then I have pledged myself to Her service and She has accepted."

I continued, "I consider myself to be a Devoted of Kassandra, everyone else thinks that I am a Wizard Lord." I shrugged.

Megan seemed to be distressed. I stepped to her and knelt. "I'm sorry that I didn't tell you earlier, My Lady." She wouldn't look at me and my heart sank. I stood back up and looked at my hosts; Elizabeth was speechless, and Richard mouthed a silent 'Wizard Lord.'

I was starting to get uncomfortable. "If you'd rather that I leave, I will. I did greatly appreciate your hospitality." I bowed.

Elizabeth snapped out of it first. "Lord Charles, you are welcome to stay." She stood and curtsied. "Forgive us for letting you think different, My Lord."

Oh shit. She just curtsied me as if I were a prince.

"Please call me Charles. I need all the friends that I can get, and your friendship means a lot to me." I pleaded.

Being alone just sucks, and I feel very alone right now.

"Lord Charles," Began Richard, "We'd be honored to have you as a friend. You and Lady Megan are welcome to stay here as long as we are here."

"Thank you, Richard." I offered a halfhearted smile. There was still Megan to deal with. "Would give us a few minutes? I would like to speak to Megan alone, please."

Elizabeth gave me an understanding look and dragged Richard out of the room.

I knelt in front of her. She still wouldn't look at me. "Megan, I'm the same person as I was earlier. I care for you, and I won't hurt you."

"Don't say that!" She hissed with venom, "I won't be a chess piece for you to play with." She stood, curtsied, and asked my permission to leave. She left without giving me time to say anything.

Shit! She hates me. Now what do I do?

I found Richard talking to his son, Rick, in the library. "May I borrow a horse?" I asked him. "I'd like to visit Lady Polyantha at Lady Kathryn's estate."

"Yes, My Lord. I'll have one readied for you." He was about to leave when I stopped him.

"Richard, I would appreciate it if you just called me Charles." I extended my hand in friendship. He looked startled and grasped my forearm with his hand and I returned the gesture. "Thanks, I appreciate it."

"Would you keep Megan out of trouble until I return?" I asked, and he assured me that they would take care of her until I returned.

He smiled and ruffled his son's hair as he left.

I paced in the main room until Elizabeth stopped me. "She did not take it well, did she?" Elizabeth was a remarkable woman; Richard was a lucky man.

"No, I think she hates me now." I admitted.

"Give her time, Charles. She's in an untenable situation." Elizabeth tried to comfort me.

"Elizabeth, do you know of a faster way for my message to get to the king?"

"If Duke Dwayne was here, I would have him seek an audience and that would be enough. It is Duchess Polyantha's region that is threatened, so she should be informed regardless. That priestess was wrong in not sending you to her first." She admonished.

"I didn't know enough to say one way or another at the time. Now, I hope that I am not too late."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.