Sword Saint: a New Start
Chapter 30: Whoever said that nobility meant noble?

Copyright© 2008 by Shaddoth

It was.

The first few groups just wanted to greet us and welcome me here. It seemed that Steven and his lackeys were not going to attend today; I didn't know if that was usual, or that they were just not invited. We did dance together a few more times between meeting new people. I did find out from Lord Richard that the Vulture, his words not mine, with Lady Kathryn was Lady Polyantha. It was funny when Lady Elizabeth kicked him under the table when he called her that though. He did apologize to his wife, but didn't take back his comments.

I managed to ask Lady Elizabeth to dance once under the watchful eyes of her husband, and that went well. She, like everyone here, seemed to be comfortable dancing. Once I had finished my dance with Lady Elizabeth, it gave the all-clear for others to ask the both of us to dance. I, as expected, was the worst dancer there, and a couple of the ladies made comments that they expected me to be a better dancer. I even had a few offer 'private lessons'.

I tried my best to be attentive to Lady Megan and keep an eye on her, she reported no inappropriate behavior by the men, but did not seem happy with a few of her partners. My second from the last dance of the evening was one that made an impression on me.

The four of us were discussing the latest bandit troop that Lord Richard had tracked down and removed from his lands, when Lady Polyantha brazenly walked up and asked me to a dance. I hadn't turned anyone down up to now, so I thought that it wouldn't be a good idea to do so now. I accepted.

I could feel Lady Megan's eyes on us as we adjourned to the floor. This was one of the livelier waltzes that I had been trying to avoid. There was some swinging of the partner, and I wasn't all that comfortable doing so yet.

When Lady Polyantha figured that I was uncomfortable with this dance, she whispered the cadence to me and let me know when to do what. With her instruction I managed to keep up and not make a fool of myself. She on the other hand, was poetry in motion. Dancing must have been a passion for her.

"Your technique and help was fabulous, My Lady, I thank you for your assistance in keeping me upright." I bowed over her hand.

"Why thank you, Lord Charles, I always enjoy a man." She paused, with a gleam in her eyes, "that can keep up with me." She looked me over. "You, My Lord, will always be welcome to try." She said this while lightly stroking my arm as we returned to my table. "I'll be staying with Katie for a while, do come and visit." She patted my hand and left.

Lady Megan did not look pleased, and gave Lady Polyantha's retreating form a stern glance. I noticed this, so instead of sitting back down to an uncomfortable silence, I escorted Lady Megan back to the floor. I didn't give her the option to say no, which did not seem to displease her. With her it was very difficult to tell sometimes.

The last waltz of the night was a formal one that was slower than the rest. The couples also danced closer together. I didn't realize it at the time, but we were the only couple that was not married or engaged on the floor.

"Thank you for coming here with me tonight, Megan. You are definitely the belle of the ball."

"Lord Charles, you are too familiar." She admonished me.

"I am sorry if I offended, My Lady. That was not my intention." The rest of that dance went in silence.

I noticed that the players in the string quartet were putting away their instruments, and so did Lord Richard.

"Come stay with us tonight, there is no reason for you two to travel all the way back to the city. We have room enough for you to stay the night, and we'd love to have you." Offered Lord Richard. They had use of Duke Dwayne's estate that was next door to Lady Kathryn's.

I stepped closer to Lord Richard, "My Lord be warned, I have recently made Duke Steven quite angry, I would hate to have his anger fall to you." I said quietly.

"Piss on that brutish child," he stated loudly. His wife just slapped his shoulder, and then gave him an angry admonition for him to keep his voice down. Lord Richard did drink more than the rest of us at the table combined, so his actions were not unexpected.

"Please do come, My Lord and Lady. We would love to have you." Echoed his wife.

I glanced to Lady Megan, who was tired, and left the decision up to her. It was after two in the morning, and we had an hour drive home.

"Thank you, I was dreading the ride back." She replied wearily.

"Good, I'm glad that's settled." Lady Elizabeth replied.

We thanked Lady Kathryn for the invitation. It was an enjoyable event, and we assured her that we would be back.

Our carriage was brought up before theirs was. I was about to get into it when something felt wrong. I prevented Lady Megan from entering, I couldn't put my finger on it but I knew that that carriage was a deathtrap.

"Lord Richard, would you mind if we joined you in your carriage, there seems something wrong with this one." I asked pointedly. He wasn't drunk enough to not get the implications of that, and assured us that it was no problem.

I had the carriage return without us. I told the driver that we had an alternate way home. Lady Megan did look a little worried. I patted her on her hand and let her know that I was here. It seemed to help some, but assassins were something that I had little knowledge of.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.