Sword Saint: a New Start
Chapter 27: Kicking the hornets nest

Copyright© 2008 by Shaddoth

"Where are you from, My Lord?" Asked Lady Megan, surprising both Chandra and myself.

Shit.

Both of them were looking at me intently, waiting for my response.

I searched Lady Megan's face for her reason for asking the question before I responded. "America." At their blank looks I continued, "It is a far off land."

I have to be careful here.

"If it is so far away, how did you get here?" Lady Megan continued her questioning.

"I was in my carriage when it fell into a magic portal of some sort, I ended up on the edge of this kingdom; and through a few adventures, I managed to find my way here." I gestured grandly. I awaited their reaction.

They both were incredulous, and it clearly showed in their faces. "What, did you expect me to be dishonest?"

Chandra shook her head no, and Lady Megan had a guarded expression. She couldn't completely block the astonishment and interest that flashed in her eyes, but she tried.

For some reason, I knew that I could trust Chandra. Lady Megan, I was not so sure of.

I turned my back of both of them and picked up the mug of water, and finished it before turning back to them. Neither had moved nor said anything since I revealed how I came to this kingdom.

"Careful of the questions that you ask ladies, some questions come back and bite you." I gave them both a single sweeping bow, "Ladies, I bid you adieu." I went in the inn and borrowed a book from Miss Lori, and tried not to think of those two and what they had in store for me.

I washed up before I adjourned for a good read in my room. Around forty pages of text on animal husbandry later; I heard a soft knock on my door. I was stretched out as much as possible on my bed; it was a couple of inches shorter than I was, but it was almost square, so that I could lay in a diagonal while I read. I placed my finger on the page and bid her to enter. I figured that it was Miss Lori seeing if I wanted anything before she retired for the evening.

To my surprise Lady Megan was standing in the entrance. She looked worried, and beautiful, I couldn't forget the beautiful part even if I wanted to.

I sat up and gestured to a chair. "Please have a seat, My Lady. I was just reading a book that Miss Lori loaned me."

She declined and remained standing, although she did shut my door. "Something on your mind, My Lady?"

"You are going to win tomorrow, that is what Postulant Chandra says. She says that you are the best swordsman that she has ever seen." She offered worriedly.

"Honestly?" She nodded. "From what I have seen of this place's fighters, I won't lose. His only chance is a lucky throw of the dagger."

"What then, what are you going to do with me, Milord?"

"Offer you my protection and be your champion. Steven will have to go through me to get to you." I wanted to stretch out on the bed with my hands behind my head, but she wouldn't take it well so I resisted. I was tired and needed sleep.

"Why?" She asked genuinely puzzled.

"Many reasons, My Lady, first and foremost is that I like you, I don't need a better reason to help you. That Steven is an evil bastard is another reason." She still didn't look convinced. "The third is that I am goal oriented, I like solving problems."

"And I am a problem to be solved, My Lord?" She asked archly.

"Of course, My Lady. I find you a pretty puzzle; much more complex than the rest."

"Is that what I am to you, a game?" She asked with some heat.

I stood. "Forgive me if I gave you that impression, you are not a toy, nor a game. You are a beautiful, intelligent, perceptive woman that I would like to know better. Even if you hated me I would be most unhappy but," I forestalled her. "I would still fight for your freedom. You can rely on me, Lady Megan. I will not let you down."

She lost her heat and softened, but just a little. "Then I will see you in the morning." She left me with that thought.

Oh boy. Why did I say all of that to her? Honesty is one thing, baring my soul is something else.

I wondered if I made things worse, and if so, by how much.

I extinguished the candle, knelt, and tried to meditate. It took a while for me to get her out of my head. She was quite a woman. I prayed for understanding, and I thanked Kassandra for keeping me safe this morning. I also prayed for Meri. I hoped that she would find somewhere that she would be happy.

It was late when I called it a night. I dreamed of being frozen in place, with Chandra tugging me in one direction, and Megan tugging me in the other, It was a strange dream.

The predawn light was just streaming through my window when a wake-up knock came to my door. I thanked Miss Lori and washed up and dressed. Breakfast was perfunctory, and when I exited there was a carriage waiting for Lady Megan, for some reason this pleased me.

Gail had Juniper and Daisy ready; the horses were antsy, mirroring Chandra's attitude. I gave her a relaxed smile. I handed her a money pouch and gave her a hug, which surprised both of us. It was clear that the hug made her uncomfortable. "Thanks for worrying, but trust me, I can handle him." We mounted and left for my morning appointment.

The carriage left just before we did, so I moved us into an escort position in front of it. There was a light fog that the sun would burn off as soon as it rose. I felt good and Juniper was prancing. This was going to be fun.

Fun! Wake up idiot, you are about to fight a duel against a skilled opponent.

I took a deep breath and slowly released it, I did this a few times until I felt the tension leaving my back.

With Chandra in tow, I entered the temple to pray. I found the fop still kneeling there. I didn't interrupt him, but I did kneel next to him when I asked for Kassandra's guidance and blessing. I easily found my center with Kassandra's presence surrounding me. I dropped a silver coin in the offering box on the way out.

From the looks of it, duels between nobility were a spectator sport. There was already a large gathering waiting for us to arrive. Most of the attendants were dressed in silks and linen. I strode forward to Mother Browynn and bowed respectfully. "May I ask for your blessing, Mother?"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.