Sword Saint: a New Start - Cover

Sword Saint: a New Start

Copyright© 2008 by Shaddoth

Chapter 25: Paying the piper.

After the drama of the afternoon, I was wondering what the Wizards would bring.

The three of us rode out into the light rain; I could still see the sun through the clouds, so I didn't worry about a pending downpour. Chandra led the way to the guild; it was located on the second level on the western-most part of the ring. I could feel a red malaise encircling the compound, it made me hesitate for a second but I continued on.

The guild grounds looked to have numerous adjoining buildings, I couldn't see the pattern from here, but I figured that if I saw it from overhead that it would form something of significance.

I looked at Chandra, "Do you see it?" She nodded. "Be on guard." I looked over my other shoulder to Orlanth. "That goes for the both of you."

I rode on and breached the ward. I could feel the anger of the magic that was directed at me; it didn't harm, just yelled. It was a very strange experience. I stopped once we were all inside the ward. Chandra looked uncomfortable, and Orlanth looked like he wanted to flee.

"Wait here." I followed my suggestion and also waited.

Ten minutes later an apprentice opened the door and poked his head out. He saw us and gave a yelp as he tried to shut the door before his head was all the way clear. I didn't think that was intentional.

"They seem fearful, I wonder why." I did not look to either side, but I guessed that both of them were giving me that look again.

Ok, dumb comment.

Five minutes later, a man wearing a hooded cloak came out, he had a slight nimbus radiating from his head. I dismounted and offered my open hand to him.

"I'm Lord Charles, I wish to speak with whomever is in charge regarding a lost apprentice."

He was about my age, bald, and was covered by his cloak. He did look unsure, that much I could read.

"I come in peace; I just want to see if I can make some sort of arrangement." That didn't seem to move him. "I have gold." That got a reaction.

"Come with me, Lord." He offered.

I waved the kids to follow me, and then followed him.

The front entrance also had a ward on it; this one was brighter than the one at the gates; so I figured that it was stronger. I rested my hand on my hilt, and could hear Chandra whisper a faint prayer as we crossed the threshold. We followed our guide to the center of this building and into what looked like an administration office. All the walls were painted a dull white, and the doors were equipped with locks and stained a dark brown. I had expected labels of some sort on the doors, but could not find any distinguishing marks.

He opened the door and let us into a large schoolmaster's office. It was slightly messy, and had even more books than Mother Browynn's office. I could see a circular ward on the floor and casually walked around it and stood waiting for his cue.

There was a portly middle-aged man sitting stiffly behind an oversized desk. He too was shaved bald, and had an unfriendly expression on his face.

"What do you want, Lord Charles?" He asked abruptly.

Ok ... He's one of those.

"Apprentice Orlanth needs a new master; his was killed along with the rest of his guild house." I offered.

He already knew about the guild house and it didn't look like he cared.

"So?"

Hostile, definitely a hostile ass.

"How much for you to take him in as one of your own? I can't teach him."

"Twenty gold."

I laughed. I couldn't help it. He did not look amused.

"Well if you don't want him, I'll just kill him and leave you to bury him." I started to draw my sword to a chorus of gasps.

"You can't! The guilds will hunt you for killing your student."

I leaned into the Headmaster's desk and pointed back to Orlanth while I stared at the Guild Master. "He. Is. Not. My. Student. He is a boy without a master." I said angrily as I slapped the headmaster's desk with my open palm. "I won't have him burning down a town with his experiments in an uncontrolled environment."

"He should be treated like every other apprentice that lost his master. Property of the guild, not a pariah; you idiot! Look at him and tell me that he is not a wizard apprentice needing help."

"You could take him to your lab." He offered.

"I do not expect to return home for years. I don't have anything decent that he could use for study, nor I will bring him into situations that will cause him harm." I retorted, not backing down at all.

We entered into a staring contest that neither was willing to back down from. I had the advantage because I was pissed, I had the position of being right and he knew it.

"Two Gold." He spat.

"Done." I pulled out my pouch with my remaining gold and dropped two on his desk. "You two get out, I need a minute with the headmaster." They scurried and closed the door behind them. I could feel my anger radiating from me.

"I will be back to make sure that you are keeping your bargain. I do expect you to remember that you are angry with me, and not hold it against him. If this is beyond you, then I will see you replaced. Do I make myself clear?"

He was pissed but didn't have a leg to stand on. So he nodded.

"Good, that is settled then."

"Who are you?" He asked when I nodded acceptance to our deal.

"I will leave you to take care of this child." I looked into his face intently. "I have no reason to think ill of you and this guild hall."

I turned and opened the door. "Good day, headmaster." I offered.

"Orlanth, the Headmaster has agreed to take you in. Good luck with your studies." I handed him a small pouch of copper, and rested my hand on his shoulder. "You take care."

I left with Postulant Chandra on my heels. I could tell that Chandra was about to ask something but I cut her off.

"Not a word." I whispered, I was still seething at the stupidity and arrogance of this place.

The mage that escorted us in hurried to catch up with us. I paused at the main entrance and gestured for him to open it, which he did. I could clearly hear the front door being barred as soon as it was closed.

We mounted and left.

I waited until we were clear of the wards before speaking. "I need to convert some gems into coins, do you know where to go, Postulant?" I was angrier than I thought. "Sorry, I'm not mad at you, just the close-minded idiots back there."

"I know someone Milord." She offered, but still had something that she wanted to ask; I could see it in her eyes.

"Thank you, please lead on. And Chandra?"

"Yes, Milord?"

"I expect you to ask questions when they come up and we are alone."

"The Headmaster thinks that you are a Wizard Lord."

"That's not a question. Try again, Postulant."

She looked at me to rephrase the question. "Why is everyone afraid of you, Milord?"

"Now that was a very good question, Chandra. Unfortunately, I can't answer it." I raised my hand to forestall her next question.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.