Sword Saint: a New Start - Cover

Sword Saint: a New Start

Copyright© 2008 by Shaddoth

Chapter 24: A Lady's champion

When we hit the third tier of the city, Chandra looked at me. I could tell that she was familiar with this area. I led her to the inn and showed her the stable. "You need to find the stablehand, Gail. Gail will also take you to your quarters, have her introduce you to Orlanth; he's the wizard's apprentice that we need to return to his guild. When I'm done with lunch, I'll find you and Orlanth." I turned and left her to her own devices.

I could tell that she was not all that happy with the way that I was treating her.

"Afternoon, Miss Lori." I offered on entry. "I seemed to have picked up a new apprentice, and I lost one while I was at it. I hope that this won't inconvenience you. Postulant Chandra will be taking Meri's clothes to her at Kassandra's Temple later."

Miss Lori looked scandalized. "Is that blood on you!" I felt Lady Megan's eyes bore through the back of my head.

Oh shit, how could I forget?

"Unfortunately, yes. There was an accident on the training grounds, and I helped stop the flow of blood and got some on me. She will be ok, though."

Oh shit, I just said she. Megan will know in a heartbeat that it was a Sister.

"I apologize for startling you, Miss Lori, I shall change right away." I took the stairs two at a time to wash up and change clothes.

Damn, I didn't want to disturb her.

I returned as soon as I could, it was a pain to get the blood out from under my fingernails, but I managed. Both of the women were already seated, I sketched a bow and apologized again to Miss Lori.

I then addressed Lady Megan. "I hope that you were not disturbed, Lady Megan." I offered while I sat, knowing damn well that she hadn't been. My guess is that she would be curious as hell.

She brushed it off with a feeler of her own. "I hope that the Novice is ok."

Knowing that I was on dangerous ground. "The Sister will be fine." I responded, and took a bite of the delicious salad. That got a reaction from Lady Megan, the most overt one that I have seen so far. "This is very good, Miss Lori, your cook is quite skilled." I did place a slight emphasis on skilled. I was watching Lady Megan when I said that. She looked worried for a brief second.

I wondered what game Lady Megan was playing, and who she really was. Now was not the time to pursue that, I did have a feeling that when I found out I would not be all that happy with the answer.

"Thank you, Lord Charles. Earlier you were saying something about a new apprentice?" Inquired Miss Lori.

"Yes, Postulant Chandra will be staying in the servants' quarters, Meri has been accepted as a student by Mother Browynn. If that is a problem, would you let me know?"

"That will be fine, Milord." She seemed relieved that I would take care of my apprentices.

"Lord Charles, how did you end up with a Postulant of Kassandra as an apprentice?" Lady Megan asked with an unreadable expression.

"Punishment, I believe." I said with a wry smile.

"What is she being punished for, my lord?"

"I didn't say that it was her that is being punished, but one can never know when dealing with High Priestesses. They tend to see things differently than the rest of us." I continued with deprecating humor.

"What of your other apprentice, my lord?"

"He is a wandering lad that needed assistance; I hope to return him to his guild after lunch."

"Sounds quite altruistic, my lord, but I have heard that the Wizard's Guild doesn't do anything without some sort of payment." Lady Megan offered.

"Yes, they do have that reputation, don't they?" I grinned. "We'll just have to see if I can afford to make an offer that they can't refuse."

To which she just nodded. I think that she had more faith in me than I did.

After lunch, I excused myself and went to find Orlanth. I wanted to talk to him before I took him to his guild. I went to the stable, figuring that Gail would be the one to show me where he would be found. He was in the stable talking to her, so I didn't have to go searching.

"Gail, would you saddle three horses; mine, Chandra's and Orlanth's. Come, Orlanth, let's adjourn to the garden."

"Yes, Master." He rose and followed.

The sky was threatening rain so I figured that we would be undisturbed.

"Where exactly was your guild?" I started the questioning.

"Master, it was in the mountains of the northwest corner of the kingdom."

"This kingdom?" I clarified.

"Yes Master, The Kingdom of Roses."

"Are attacks on your guild common?"

"No, Master, this is only the second one since I became an apprentice that I know of. It was also the only one that breached our walls."

"Was there a magical presence on the side of the attackers?"

"I don't know, Master, but it would make sense. I have been thinking about it, and came to the conclusion that there would have to be wizards on the side of attackers to nullify the Wards."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.