Sword Saint: a New Start
Chapter 23: Win some, lose some

Copyright© 2008 by Shaddoth

I heard a screech of "What?" coming from the Mother's office, followed by a low growl. I was almost out of the temple before Postulant Chandra caught up to me.

Meri and the young petitioner were waiting to enter as I exited. I stopped before Meri, she looked lost and confused.

"Meri, I want you to stay here for some training." Her eyes got big and she just looked at me. "You are to stay here and listen to the sisters. There is a set of weapons on my horse; they are for you. Don't forget to come back to the inn to get your clothes, but there is no hurry for that."

"Do you understand?" She just nodded with tears in her eyes.

"Meri, look around. Do you see anyone mistreated here?" She shook her head no, but she was crying anyway. "Ask the petitioner, if you don't believe me. I bet that she loves it here, don't you petitioner?"

"Oh, Goddess, yes, Milord, everyone here is so nice, and they are teaching me lots and the food is great and..."

I cut her off. "Meri, try it out. If it ends up that you don't fit in here, then the Mother will find a place for you. OK?" Meri nodded wiping her eyes. "Good, if you have any problems, let me know."

Now, I had to deal with an angry Postulant.

Let's see just how angry I can make her.

I glanced over my shoulder at Postulant Chandra, "Tisk, tisk, Postulant, if you can't hold your temper any better than that, I have no idea what use you will be to me." I said in my most irritatingly cocky tone.

She stiffened and her eyes blazed her anger.

Yep, that really got her dander up.

"Come now, little girl, let's see if you know how to use those little toys of yours." I grinned.

She turned beet red with anger; she still did not know that the Mother had set her up. This might even be fun.

"Let's just get this farce over with." She growled.

Yup, she's really pissed.

I sauntered over to the advanced group that was working on their unarmed combat with the fuming postulant in tow. I bowed to the Sister with a flourish. "Honorable priestess, may I borrow your class so that I can teach this little girl a lesson?" I asked with an evil grin; making sure that the postulant could see it.

The priestess looked angry for a second, and was about to say something, but then she looked at the obviously fuming postulant, and put two and two together. She grinned back at me. "Yes. I think that I would be glad to help." She clapped twice, and the class stopped with what they were doing and attended her. "Class, come with me. There is a lesson that needs to be taught."

It ended up that I walked back to the dueling circle for the second time that morning. This time I wouldn't have to nearly kill my opponent.

I knelt at the circle's edge and offered a quick prayer of guidance before hopping up and entering it. Postulant Chandra knelt by rote and did the same. My sword was drawn and I had time for one more taunt. "Come, girl, I don't have all day. I just lost my boot-girl and you have been volunteered to take her place, unless of course you can accidentally manage to pink me. I'll even let you go first."

Chandra charged with a full-out offensive. She was quick and smooth, but lacking in real world experience. She came at me with whirling blades that promised pain and blood if I made the slightest mistake. As I focused on my speed and defense, it felt like she slowed. I could not explain it after if I was asked about it, other than she went from normal speed to one that was about seventy-five percent of normal. That made what I had planned easier.

I intentionally left a small opening on my right, which invited her to overreach just enough to leave her open for what I had planned. She took the bait and I was able to deflect her attack. This set her up for a hard punch with my left hand straight to her jaw; I stepped into it hitting her clean and hard. It helped that I had the extra strength that Kassandra granted me, so that I was able to knock her out.

She dropped like a stone. I figured that it was the easiest and least painful way of knocking her out of the fight.

I asked for someone to get a bucket of water for her. I knelt down and removed her weapons and her belt. I sheathed the weapons and waited for the soldier to return with the bucket of water.

One of the soldiers started to speak and I raised my hand for silence. "I would like her to be awake before I continue the lesson." A couple of the younger soldiers chuckled, I glared at them. "This is not for your amusement. This is a learning experience, if you can't learn this lesson then it will eventually kill you." That wiped their smiles away. The soldier was only gone for a minute and came back with a full bucket.

"Throw it on her." He did.

She awoke with a sputter and a large bruise forming on her jaw.

"Stand up, Postulant." I ordered. She did gingerly. She rubbed her jaw; I knew that I bruised the bone and that it had to hurt like a bitch.

Hell, it hurt my knuckles.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.