Sword Saint: a New Start - Cover

Sword Saint: a New Start

Copyright© 2008 by Shaddoth

Chapter 13: Burn him, he's a witch.

The next day was more of the same, except it started to sprinkle for a few hours in the morning. It was pretty much a falling mist with a light, cool breeze. Meri looked drenched and miserable, and I felt the same. The horses didn't seem to mind though, so we pressed on. At midday, when we took a rest, I went hunting for a couple of rocks that looked fist-sized for a girl. When lunch was over I handed them to her and showed her how to move her wrists in order for her to build up strength. I made a point of correcting her until she was doing it exactly as I instructed. She didn't even question, just did what I said.

"I want you to do that for fifty repetitions every time that we stop. I'm also going to build up your stamina by making you run with the horses for short periods. You are going to keep this up until you get strong enough."

"Strong enough for what?"

"Strong enough for what, Milord?" I corrected, and waited for her correction, which she did promptly. "I need you to be in better shape." Then I started questioning her about the local fauna. I could tell that she wanted to ask me where I was from, since I obviously didn't know any of the local plants. I showed her that there was a difference between light and dark purple, and I expected her to know the difference and to make sure that she was clear when reporting what she saw. On my end, I tried to remember all the different plants, especially the poisonous ones.

Good thing for me that she didn't get frustrated easily, it made teaching her all that much easier. Teaching her for what, exactly, I was not entirely sure. My initial thought was that she would be needed to watch my back; if I treated her well she would be there for me. I made sure that she ate as much as she wanted, and that we ate the same food. I figured that she would have questions, but for now I didn't have the answers so I didn't let her ask them.

That evening when she went to do her exercises, I let her skip everything but the stretching, I wasn't sure if I was pushing her too hard, and did not want to break her, just change her. After we cleaned up I started my forms for the evening, while she rested against a tree trying to keep out of the light rain that started halfway through our meal.

"Lord, don't you ever get tired?" She asked from her huddled position.

"I do, but this always makes me feel better, it helps work out the kinks from a long day."

"Oh. What are you doing, you almost look like you are doing a strange dance."

"Milord. You need to remember that when we get into town. Understand?"

"Yes, Milord."

"Good."

"Are you a wizard?"

"No, why do you ask that?" I paused to look at her.

"Well, sometimes it looks like you don't touch the ground. Like a leaf in the wind."

I didn't notice that. "I touch more than you think. Oh, and Meri..."

"Yes, Milord."

"I'd prefer that you don't tell anyone about my practices. Ok?"

"Yes, Milord." She said quizzically.

I figured that there would always be someone with a fast gun trying to make a reputation, and I sure as hell didn't want to be the target of some young fool looking for a target to prove himself against.

After a couple of hours of forms, I felt that they went smoother and cleaner than I had ever done before. Even compared to when I used to practice every day, instead of the every other day schedule that my studies had forced on me of late.

Oh shit. Studying. Home. Friends. I don't think that I'll be returning anytime soon. This isn't a game, Charlie. People tried to kill me. I killed people. I killed a lot of people!

I dropped to my knees hard, I could feel tears on my cheeks. The enormity of the last week came crashing down on me; all the death, my recklessness against armed men who were trying to kill me, being lost on a strange world just added more pressure, and now I had a child tagging along that I was responsible for.

This is REAL!

On top of all that, I am talking to a Goddess that I have absolutely no clue what she represents or what the hell she wants from me. Gods above, I hope that she is a good Goddess or I'm screwed.

At that thought my amulet burned my chest.

OW!!

I'm sorry Kassandra, I'm just confused and lost and alone.

At that, a warm glow enveloped me, I felt like a child in my mother's arms. She held me while I cried myself to exhaustion. When I calmed down I felt the weight lifted from my soul.

"Thanks. I needed that." I took a deep breath and let it out slowly. I felt completely drained as if all of my strength had been sapped from me.

"You were holding that back for me, weren't you?" I felt her smile. "Thanks, but why me?"

She replayed for me in my mind the night that I stopped the assault on Grandma Kira's farm, and then me freeing the slaves. She showed me my anger at their ill treatment, and my control in dispatching them. Finally She showed me saving the girl, who She had a purpose for, treating Meri fairly and doing what was right by the way of the surviving families.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.