Sword Saint: a New Start - Cover

Sword Saint: a New Start

Copyright© 2008 by Shaddoth

Chapter 8: Shootout at the OK corral

"Have you told Kira yet?"

"She knows."

"Have you sent someone to the other steads to warn them of the slavers?"

Kira's grandmother just looked at me like I was an idiot. "Mine was the last one attacked, this was a coordinated attack. My granddaughter and I are the only ones left that I can see. If any of the other girls are alive they aren't on their farms."

"Can you tell where they are?"

"No. I do know that the slavers will be back here soon, and they will come as a group to overpower whoever is left on this farm since the raiding party didn't live. I expect that they have already been to my son's farm and should be here soon, either tonight or tomorrow sometime."

"Have you figured out why they are trying to clear the valley of people; is it a precursor to an attack or just slavers looking for sparsely populated region that they believe might be easy pickings?"

"Both."

"Ok, we'll have to just deal with that after we survive the attack and see if we can rescue any of the survivors from the slavers. Do you have any suggestions on dealing with an unknown number of mounted raiders?"

"I was going to let you kill them and then clean up the mess"

I looked at her in disbelief. "That's a good plan." I said sarcastically.

Nope. Sarcasm doesn't work with her.

"Are you going to be able to help at all? You are not exactly powerless yourself."

"I'm going to be busy protecting my granddaughter." She looked serious and yet I didn't believe her for a second. There were six bodies in that same leather armor that I faced earlier not thirty feet away.

"Fine, then bar all the entrances except for the main door; we'll leave that open and let them funnel into it. We'll need to clear a space; I'll need a killing zone."

Shit. I really don't want to die here.

"Let's get started." I began walking to the house. "Will any of them have ranged weapons?"

"Just bolas."

"Bolas ... two weights attached to a rope?"

"Yes, about this long." She held her hands about four feet apart.

"That I can deal with if I am inside. What would you like me to call you?"

"Kira or Ma'am will do."

Upon entry to the house I started moving chairs and other furniture to make a circle around the door to give me some space to work and also keep the slavers from getting around me and into the house. Grandma Kira was hammering somewhere that I could not see while Kira was running to and from one of the barns carrying short planks. She was looking a little fearful so on the second trip to the barn, I touched her shoulder to get her attention. "Kira, look at me." Which she did, "Do you think that either your grandma or I will let anything happen to you?"

Looking down, she mumbled a "No."

"Then don't worry. We'll all be fine." I said with as much confidence as I could project. She gave me a small smile and ran out the door.

"I'm going to have to rest for a bit, it's been a long day and digging those damn graves took a lot out of me. Do you have anything that I can munch on while we wait? Fruit, cheese and bread would be great if possible." I asked Grandma Kira when she was done hammering.

"I'll have the girl fix you something, sit if you need to." She managed to look disapproving while not changing her expression in the slightest.

I walked back to the front door and knelt in the entrance. Sword still in its scabbard I held it parallel with the threshold with one hand and grabbed my amulet with the other.

"Blessed Goddess, please grant me the strength to safeguard this household from the evil that will try to breach it." I felt a warmth course through my body, washing away my weariness and renewing my energy. "Thank you Blessed Lady."

"Well that settles that, a genuine Priest. Who would have expected it and here of all places?" Startled, I looked over my shoulder to see Kira's grandmother looking me over. "With Kassandra blessings on you, you have a chance."

Kassandra.

I felt calm and comfortable kneeling here in the entrance, Kira brought me a plate of bread and cheese with a cut apple. I thanked her and started eating while I moved back from the doorway. Kira went to close the door and I stopped her, "Leave it open; we want them to go for the easy way in."

"OK." She still looked at me worriedly, but left the door open.

I had Kira sit on the porch with instructions that she was not to come in until she either saw them or heard them. She looked afraid but obeyed. I left my sword leaning next to the doorframe and went to help Grandma Kira with securing the windows from the inside.

"Once they start for the door, I want you to watch the other door. I'll be focused on staying alive and won't notice anyone coming from behind."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.