Sword Saint: a New Start
Chapter 7: My, what big teeth you have

Copyright© 2008 by Shaddoth

Off in the distance I could barely make out a group of three barns flanking a house. The barns were painted a faded red and the house was whitewashed. As we skirted around a plowed field that seemed to be growing wheat, I noticed that the main house was much larger than Kira's. This one also had a small shed that was just off to the east and one just off to the west of the main house with the main house facing us to the south.

For reference directions I was using earth standard. I know that I would eventually get corrected of course but it would do until then.

When we were around a quarter mile from the house I saw someone digging a hole in the ground and a chill ran down my spine, just a few says ago I was doing the exact same thing for Kira's family. I veered off away from Kira and went towards the digger. Before I came even close, I could see that there were bodies laying like lumps that were covered in old blankets. The top one was decorated with flowers. Shit.

The gray haired lady had already stopped digging and was watching me approach.

"Greetings Ma'am, I take it that you are Kira's grandmother?"

"That's a big sword you have. Are you treating my granddaughter well?"

"Of course Ma'am. Would you like me to take over for you so that you can take her with you into the house and talk to her?" I asked while I dismounted. "I'm pretty sure that she needs to tell you what happened."

I walked over to the grave and held out my hand to help her out, surprisingly, she accepted it without commenting. Kira's grandmother brushed off her dress after she handed me her shovel. I leaned into her and asked quietly, "How many do you want dug?"

"Three should be fine." She replied in a normal voice. "Don't give me cause to need a fourth." That had more than a hint of steel in it.

As soon as she took her eyes off of me Kira ran crying to her Grandma's arms.

Might as well get started.

I removed my sword and untied the rawhide from around my leg before I propped it up against a grave marker, then I slid down the hole with the shovel and continued where she left off grateful that I did not have to break the news of more deaths in Kira's family.

Around an hour later Kira, still red eyed but freshly washed, brought me some lunch and a light ale, which I consumed in a couple of heartbeats. I didn't realize how famished I was until after I finished the meal and considered licking the plate. I thanked her for bringing me food when she looked at the blanket that was covered in flowers that I was just starting to cover up with dirt. Her eyes were watering when she took the plate and ran back to the house.

Not knowing what else to do, I continued my task for the rest of the day and into the evening. The night air was starting to get cool by the time that the second grave was complete. I downed a mug of water from the bucket that was brought to me a while ago, the last bit of water I dumped over my head. I shook my head and then started to stretch out all the kinks that I developed. I hadn't a clue what time it was, the overcast sky blocked the moon from my sight.

I wonder how these people tell time.

Feeling tired, sore and a little chilly with the wind playing across my bare, damp torso; I looked for my shirt and sword only to see Kira's Grandma sitting cross legged with my sword across her thighs. I didn't even hear her approach.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.