The Author - Cover

The Author

Copyright© 2008 by dak

Chapter 9

I had gotten directions as well as the loan of a horse from Robin and his men, I bid them good luck before head for the main road through the forest. I had loaded the horses saddle bags with my gear, keeping my riffle slung around the saddle hanging to the side of the horse. I road south for about an hour before I made out the sound of several horses approaching, I moved to the side of the road to wait. It was a group of 5 horsemen, it looked like a patrol from the town, they approached me cautiously, spreading out to circle me. The lead man spoke first.

"State your business on the kings road!"

I lowered a hand to my rifle as I eyed them.

"I am a simple traveler trying to make it through this area unmolested."

The man eyed me suspiciously.

"We have a bandit problem in the area, we shall escort you to the village. Of course you will be required to pay the local tax to the Sheriff for passing through"

I nodded.

"Of course, and perhaps I could see if there is a reward for these bandits, I believe I may have encountered them"

He gave me a closer look, he did not see anything that he could tell was a weapon on me, simply strange equipment.

"what information have you? And What is your trade?"

I looked at him as his hand went to his sword

"I am a simple Blacksmith and tinkerer, as for the information I believe I may know where they are camped, I shall deliver this information to the Sheriff himself"

The leadsmen eyes narrowed.

"I am Sir Guy OF Gisborne, and I have been given the task by the Sheriff of bringing these bandits to justice. You will tell me where I can find these bandits"

I nodded to him.

"OH I have heard of you good Sir, I know you are moral and upright, But the information is not safely told in these woods, I am sure the Sheriff will relay anything I tell him to you immediately so as to allow you to act quickly on it, and of course I would pay any taxes to you on such a reward that would be offered."

He looked at me, before signaling his men to move out and flank me.

"So be it"

We rode in silence for another hour with me in the center of the formation, they were making sure I would not flee, I began to smell the smoke from Nottingham as we neared it, soon we passed farm houses whose occupants made them self scarce when they saw Sir Guy, a testament to his villainous status here, we rode on into the center of the village to a guarded estate, passing the guards with out question. I was directed to tie up my horse and leave my rifle on it.

I nodded dismounting, I still had my two sidearm's though, Two Springfield XD-45 pistols, loaded with hollow points. I cautiously reached down and unsnapped both of them just in case, Sir Guy thinking me disarmed signaled two guards to follow him and I to meet the Sheriff, we entered the main estate where guy had us announced.

We waited outside the main dinning hall where the Sheriff was inside, I could hear him arguing with a Women about why she was seen talking to a Friar with known ties to Robin Hood, he was using his position to proposition her, telling her that he could protect her from the charges of treason. I rolled my eyes outside, I heard the assistant tell him that Sir guy was back with information on Robins location, At this we where ushered in.

"YOU see maid Marian, Robin is doomed we have someone who has the location of his camp, it is only a matter of time before he meets the gallows, and if you continue to deny me so shall you"

I surveyed the room, there was a man in chains who had been severely beaten, I assumed was the friar, two guards, Sir Guy, a very obese Sheriff, and what I have to say was one of the more beautiful women I had ever seen, she looked of Irish decent with porcelain skin, fire red hair and emerald eyes. The Sheriff was still ranting, when Sir Guy shoved me forward. The Sheriff looked at me.

"SPEAK Peasant tell me where Robins camp is"

I nodded to him keeping my eyes downcast.

"Sir I encountered him in the woods, where he demanded a toll from me, I disabled 4 of his men, then made him take me to his camp where he gave me a horse and sent me on my way"

I saw Maid Marian look at me with hate in her eyes.

The Sheriff looked incredulous at me.

"WHY would he have done that for you?"

I smiled and looked at the Sheriff.

"Because I am a very dangerous man, And not to be trifled with"

the Sheriff laughed

"Oh yes I tremble in your presence, Guy take this fool away to the gallows"

I looked at Marian.

"My Lady, I am sorry for what you are about to see"

In a blur I drew my pistols, I put one round into Sir Guys forehead as well as the Sheriffs, then I put two into the guards. All in rapid succession, Maid Marian was a strong women she simply took in the scene and did not panic, she looked at me.

"What have you done sir and Why?"

I looked her in the eyes holstering my pistols

"I heard how he talked to you when I was out side, I had come here for the Friar, but when he talked to you like that I knew I could not let the slight against your honor go unpunished, NO Lady as beautiful as you should ever have to deal with such a pig"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.