Chronos Chronicles - Cover

Chronos Chronicles

Copyright© 2008 by Joan of Acre

Chapter 30

"You are going to take some getting used to," Saul says matter of factly, as though his eyes had not just popped out of his head at my actions.

I take this time to wrap the sheet around me, in a toga style.

"Did you want me to warn you?" I look at him with an evil grin.

If he is going to want me but not act, then I don't have to make it easy. I can just back off, if he gets too uncomfortable. Right now he is not looking uncomfortable, so much as just looking.

"I can feel you Saul," I cover the distance between us in two short steps. "I know you can feel me," I gently touch his cheek.

"What do I need to know?" The hairs of he new beard are baby fine and soft to my fingertips. "I do not know anyone or anything," I say quietly to remind him, I am a newcomer to his world and life.

"I know," he touches my hand. "I have rules," he pulls my hand off his cheek and squeezes it.

"I can respect that, but you should not tempt me," I am a little hurt, but as I have been through worse, I will live. "We can talk later," I smile into his brown eyes. "But for now, I am very tired and need to rest."

"We all are," he agrees with me. "If you are done with your bath, why don't I take you to Gwen."

"That sounds like a great plan," he tugs on my hand and leads me out of the bath house.

We trot, half way across the Compound, to one of the underground Bunkers. The hatch sits open.

"This the Unmarried women's dorm," he points but makes no move to go down.

I give him a tired look and ask. "What, more rules?"

This time he does not blush as he clears his throat. "Ah no, it is not polite to enter unless you are invited."

"Oh. Well come one down," I invite him. "I will never find Gwen without your help," I step up to the hatch and start sliding down the ladder. Not as fast as my last trip and with more grace.

I land with a thump at the bottom. Saul is right behind me taking one rung at time. Each to his own. I have to smile up at him as he carefully finds each step. Oh right, he can not see in the dark. I don't even think about it any more when I switch vision enhancements.

"Hello," a quiet voice whispers from the darkened entrance. "Are you Chronos?"

"Hello," I whisper back. "Yes I am Chronos. Is Gwen still awake?"

"No, she fell asleep a little while ago," The quiet voice tells me.

"I have invited Saul down," I remember to tell her as his feet make an appearance on the ladder.

"Umm?" the voice ponders. "I guess, if it is Saul."

She sounds so uncertain.

"He is my guide," I add, with the thought that maybe this will help her make up her mind. "He is just going to help get to me settled, then head right back out. I have kept him long enough."

"He has to come right back," she says slowly.

"Heya, Liens," Saul identifies the voice as he finishes his decent. "Where is Chronos supposed to bed down?" He ask very casually. He must have heard our quiet conversation on the ladder

"Umm?" Liens is still confused.

"Liens, Chronos is our guest, she has worked very hard. I need to make sure she is tended to, before I can go to sleep," he explains patiently to her.

"Alright, but you have to come right back," she repeats. "Gwen said the space was in the back, off of the laundry room. She put your stuff in there. It is on the right, with a little curtain."

"Thank you Liens," I smile at her.

In the darkness, Saul reaches over and takes possession of my hand again. I start to walk off, but then have to stop. I have no clue where I am going. This bunker may not be in the same design as the other one. Saul bumps into to me.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.