Chronos Chronicles - Cover

Chronos Chronicles

Copyright© 2008 by Joan of Acre

Chapter 28

We strip the Brutes of all the weapons we can find on them. No sense in leaving anything for the scavengers. Then pile the bodies together. There is some thought on burning them but we don't have anything to make them flammable. So we merely leave the dead brutes, as a testament to the protectors' fire-power. Though I did not do the killing, I am asked to say a few words to send them on their way. I can always ask for peace for a fallen foe. We wrap the fallen protectors in some canvas and place them in the storage compartment at the back of the hummer.

This last party to leave the camp is a much more subdued one. For me even though the ladies were quiet they had a warm and happy anticipation of going home. This time, it is the grim regret that we could not save everyone.

I try to make some conversation to help them along. I don't think they had lost a comrade to a fight before, this must be new to them.

I even try to get Holidays spirits up by asking him if he wants to drive, he only grumbles and sulks. Seattle on the other hand, says he would like to try his hand if it were day light out side.

Gun is situated between the brothers Gunga Din and Seth. Bunyan just stares out into the night. Of his group, he had one wounded, one killed. So much more the legends

"Saber, How did Melville end up as leader?" Hopeful this would be a nice safe topic.

"He was elected." He replies curtly.

"So you have open elections?" I try prompting more.

"We have a body of elders, from whom we are asked to pick a leader." Seattle answers.

"How do you get your elders?" If someone was going to talk, I was going to use it.

"They are picked from each of the professional groups." Bunyan answers, Yea me, I got one out of his funk.

"And those would be?" It was like pulling teeth, but then I am sure they have never had so many deaths at once.

"Protectors as you know. Then there are Farmers, Weavers, Library, Healers, Tanners and Smiths. There used to be some Tech guys but they got incorporated in the Library." Seattle elaborates for me. "There is some overlap with each group. Healers need to grow herbs."

"Right, I get it. Weavers and Smiths, Healers and Library. Yet, each group is not completely independent because there are areas that overlap. Repairs, information and the like." I rush in to complete his ideas.

"So who is the 'elder' for the Protectors?"

"Napoleon" Saber answers. I give a grunt of surprise, that was not who I was expecting.

"What," Saber looks over at me. "What is wrong with Napoleon?"

"Nothing," I reply quickly. "That was not who I was expecting. That is all." I try to cover my mistake.

"Why, who did you think was the elder?" Seattle asks leaning into the front between me and Saber.

I wince and shot out my answer, what the hell, right? Better to be honest. "Saber of course." I reply.

There were great peals of laughter from the men in the car. Saber only blushed. Which I might add is very cute on even on a 7 foot tall man...

It is very late when we come to the bonfire at the gates of the compound, and there are still guards on duty. I am suddenly struck, by how much I have been looking forward to coming back here. Maybe getting a bath and a bed.

This time, I park carefully and just sit and wait till everyone is out before I even think about moving. I am bone weary. I have used many resources in the past few days, with little time between. I will need some time to recoup.

I am pulled out of my thoughts by Saber, he has come back to see what is keeping me.

"Hey, Nosis. Shake a leg, or you'll get cold bath water." He says ducking his head into the window.

"Coming, " I reply tiredly.

I pry myself out of the drivers seat. The Hummer is going to need some airing out, before anyone is going to want to take another long trip in it. Oh well, not my problem right now.

I stretch out the kinks in my back and legs. I take a moment to listen to the wind. Then a moment to listen to the earth. They are quiet, not really caring about the problems of us mortal men.

I follow the big form of Saber, across the compound, to a small wooden out building. It has 3 chimney stacks, in the middle, on the top of the roof. A bathing house? I think to myself. Oh goodie.

There are 2 steps up and a wall dividing the building in two. I follow Saber off to the right hand side of the divide.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.