Chronos Chronicles
Chapter 25

Copyright© 2008 by Joan of Acre

"Does anyone have any ideas of what do with the extra women we found?" the Legend Bunyan asks before the meeting breaks up.

"We could just take them with us," Ajax the lesser answers. "It would be the right thing to do."

"They too have homes and families," I say out of the blue. "Will you deprive them of those things once more."

"I am not sure that is open for debate, Chronos," Saber frowns at me. Maybe I should have spoken with him in private. He and I do seem to be stepping on one another toes.

"It was just a thought," I let the argument go with a nod of my head to him.

"No wait, I think there is something to this," Annie takes up the idea. "We got attacked because we didn't know who or what was out there. Chronos is right. What right to do we have to keep these women from their homes?" I flash her a surprised glance. "I for one think we should find and return them."

Gunga din and Seth exchange glances. I can't interpret what it means. They are brothers, I think to myself. It maybe they want to help Annie because her protector group is not here to support her.

"Please Annie," I try to forestall her. "Saber is right, this is not the time."

"When is the time right! and you're right too 'Nosis," She says grimly over my shoulder at the men.

"Fine," Saber, slashes the air with his hands, puts an end to her arguing. "Annie," he points at her. "Find out where they come from. You can take them home with Chronos when we are finished with this mission. Till then they come with us."

"Understood," She grinds her teeth at him and marches off to where the women are milling about.

I stay to talk to Saber. At first he just frowns at me but his expression changes to surprise at my words

"I apologize again," I flash him a quick smile. "I do seem to put my foot in my mouth around you, Saber," He grunts and nods.

"I take it you are used to being in charge as well," His voice is quiet but there is a rumble of understanding.

"Something like that," I cock my head to one side. "I am used to my suggestions being given great weight. But I will admit I am more often asked for them as opposed to just chiming in when the mood suits me, " My grin turns sheepish.

Holiday gives short hoot of laughter. Then the rest of the men join in, chuckling as well.

"In that case, Oh wise one, what do you recommend," This time he takes me off the to side and shoos the rest of the protectors off.

"Annie is floating without her group. Give her some time to cool down," I say

"No, that is not what I was talking about," Saber shakes his head at me.

"Sometimes the advice that is given is not what you want but what you need to hear."

"Gods and Goddesses, you sound like Melville," He grumbles

"Oh good," I give a chuckle at his discomfort. "The Hummer takes 8 people plus supplies. If you pull out all the ammo and sundries I think we can get 10. We have 12 women and 12 protector, plus Saul, plus Godiva and the three lost lambs," I pull out the math so that we can start getting ready to move. "As we are still in enemy territory, I would ask that only the really wounded protectors come in the first group," I add as an after thought.

"I'll put the group together," Saber runs his hand through his hair. "What I really need advice on is Gwen. She is..." he pounds his fist into his palm. "different."

"Yes," I agree calmly. "She has been changed," This all I am going to tell him about her experiences until she says otherwise. "She is like the girl you used to know, but now she is more. You will have to come to terms with that for good or for bad."

"That's not really a help," he slumps his shoulders.

I have to laugh, I am here only 5 days and already being asks for advice from the love lorn.

"What it comes down to is will your feelings for her change even though she has changed?" I try to simplify it even more. "Do you love her? Will you still love her?"

"Yes," he answers simply and fast. His sincerity almost breaks my heart.

"Then there is your answer, or at lest a place to start," I give him a slight bow from my shoulders and fold my arms up under the tattered sleeves.

"You made me ask that didn't you?" he manages a very pretty sulk.

"Had to," I stick my chin out. "It is in the code of enigmatic mystics," I try to look mysterious, but I think the nose wiggle is out of place because he gives me that quick bark of laughter again.

"Not with that hair," he starts to reach a hand over to ruffle my green locks. I just raise an eyebrow and stare him down. Saber slowly pulls his hand back.

"You are an odd one," he says more to himself than me, as if trying to remember that I am not one of the Kindred. It is a good feeling while it lasts, to be mistaken for one of the group.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.