Chronos Chronicles
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2008 by Joan of Acre

By this time, Saul has returned with my water. Actually he has brought a whole pitcher and some home made ceramic cups. No Dixie Cups for this group, I think to my amusement.

"I am very grateful to you Saul. I was getting parched with all this talk," I smile up at him as he hands me the cup.

Saul gives Melville a small smirk, letting the older man know he was sent off while the real talk took place. But he is gentle as he takes his seat beside me again. I settle back against him, grateful for his warmth.

While I am grinning like a fool at mister brown eyes, Saber takes the opportunity to question Melville.

"How long have you know about this dying thing? And when were you going to tell me? On your death bed?" Saber sounds angry.

I had been sure they were not father and son, yet the way Saber is acting, I am not so sure now.

"I wanted to be sure. I have only just finished going through the records and had send Holliday and Seattle out to get you," Melville maintains his calm as he explains. "This young lady has only confirmed more of what I suspected."

"You- wanted to talk to me," Saber now sounds contrite after hearing Melville out.

"Yes. I was going to send you three out to the nearest city to see if you could find medical supplies and books so that we could analyze this and treat it."

"That could take months," Saber all but whines.

"Why, where is the nearest city?" I chime in.

"No it won't," Melville answers Saber. "We have a means of travel that I haven't told you about."

"What!" Saber explodes at him, all over again.

"What a minute," I look over at the angry men. I am finding it hard to believe what I am hearing.

"You people don't have vehicles? What do you do about long range travel and trade?" I turn to Saul to ask my questions. I figure the two other men had things to work out and I needed some answers.

"I am not sure there is anyone close enough to trade with and the last mule died 30 years ago to one of those clouds." Saul continues on, "We haven't needed to go anywhere so we didn't," he shrugs his shoulders with indifference to the lack of contact.

"I am missing something here," I muse out loud. "Will you tell me how your group got started. And the whole weird name thing," I suggest as I rise to my feet, thinking we could look for a space that did not have 2 angry men in it.

I start looking around when I notice once again, everyone is starring at my outfit, or lack of outfit really.

"Does this really bother you all that much?" I had to ask.

"It-umm," Saul blushes. It is so cute. "Well most people stay covered and we wouldn't want any of the ladies to get any ideas that you were trying to- well that is." Poor Saul, stutter his way through that sentence.

So I take pity on him. My Augments come with a Chameleon Circuitry net. I quickly press my right arm in a couple of lumpy places to activate the net. Then adjust the dial till my gown's outer appearance is opaque.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.