Chronos Chronicles - Cover

Chronos Chronicles

Copyright© 2008 by Joan of Acre

Chapter 1

The last thing I remember hearing, before my world went black, is a great boom that seems to be rushing at me. Then nothing for the longest time When I do finally wake, it is in a meadow, with the noon day sun glaring down on me. The meadow is lush and green with blue skies and fluffy white clouds floating by. I am in too much shock to much more that lay there.

Universe, why am I still alive? I ask but receive no reply.

And a bigger shock still is that this place, it looks like my home. A home I didn't think I would ever see again. Because the last time I was on Earth, it was being blown up. I don't take the time to dwell on in. I am still reeling from the fact that I am alive. It is all too much to take in.

Try as I might, to come up with an answer I cannot. I am definitely not on any of the cluster worlds. All the evidence seems to point to me being on Earth. Just lying here and taking in the sights and sounds I become aware that this place even smells like Earth, with the sharp scents of loam and pine. I want to lay here all afternoon, categorizing all the different things that I have missed in my 15 years away. It is so hard to believe I am on Earth; that I almost miss the sounds of dogs barking and baying in the distance.

In hearing them I realize I am going to have to get up and start looking for the people of this place. With a strained sigh I heave myself up and take a quick inventory. One sword, check, cyber ware still working, check. Hair still green. But I find I am overly tired; whatever it was that blew me here, seems to have sapped much of my strength. I feel as weak as a kitten. I have no reserves.

But back to the dogs. Dogs are good; they usually mean civilization, as they are the domestic guards and companions to men. I remember all this as head towards the sounds of the hounds. They are coming from the nearby wooded area.

As I listen to them I realize, they sound less happy than dogs out on a romp, and more like they are on a hunt. I slow my pace a bit, as I do not want to be caught by a bunch of happy-go-lucky hunters and shot by accident.

The closer I get the more I concerned I am, till I hear the sounds change again. This time it sounds like they have found their prey, but the prey is fighting back.

I ghost closer, hoping to see what is fighting the dogs. There are grunts and whimpers from the dogs and then a cry that sounds very human.

From my hiding spot, I can see the dogs. It is the weirdest pack I have ever seen. There are big dogs, Mastiffs and a Saint Bernard, and medium ones, some Collies and Golden Retrievers, and even some small lap dogs. It is such a mixed bag that I quickly realize this is not a hunting crew, no master of hounds would have a crew like this. No, this is a pack of feral dogs. They don't have some master of hounds driving the whip, so I don't have to worry about humans, or maybe I do, as the dogs have converged on a man.

He is most definitely human, same as me. A biped with one set of upper appendages; hair on the top of his head and he is moving like I would had I been fighting the dogs.

While I am standing here categorizing the man in front of me, he takes another bite to his leg. It looks like he has taken a few dogs out with the bow and arrows on his back, but right now he has pulled out two really big knives and is slashing at anything that gets close.

I can tell this is will not enoughbecause he has taken a couple of bites on the leg already and if the dogs keep on as they are, he will be down soon.

Before I can even think about it, I act. Raising my hands to my mouth to make the beast of doom noise.

"Hurrruw!!" I bellow for all that I am worth.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.