Second Son - In The Beginning
Chapter 5: Same Day

Copyright© 2008 by Stegro88

"Thanks for all your help in getting her ready. I'll stop by and see you the next time I visit home," Logan said.

"You're welcome Captain but remember that that ship is your home now and if you treat her right, she'll keep you safe," Sven said.

"I'll remember that," Logan said and walked out the door with Danielle in tow. Their next destination was the Guild flight controllers. Because of the enormous amount of traffic seen at the main ports, each guild handled their own members' trip planning and passed it on to the main flight controllers.

Logan and Danielle walked through the space station until they came to the guild headquarters for this system. Entering, inside they found it sparsely decorated with only a few portraits and other items. There was, however, a fairly large gathering of members. Logan ignored them for the most part and went to the closest empty flight controller.

"Where you headed?" the controller asked as Logan walked up.

"The Tortora space station," Logan replied as he handed over the chip containing his travel plans.

"The frontier, looking to pay off your starting fee?" the controller asked as they worked to process the plans.

"Something like that," Logan replied as he looked around.

"I don't understand, starting fee?" Danielle asked.

"Scouts either borrow money to start out or are given it with the expectation it is paid back through their work. For me, I was given it and I am expected to pay it back through my work. I'm lucky at least in that I won't have any interest on it," Logan said as he continued to look around.

"What's wrong?" Danielle asked, as she noticed Logan's observation of the area.

"Just waiting for something to happen. There are too many scouts here for something not to be happening.

"Here you go. Safe journey," the controller said, handing back the data chip.

"So, Logan Jacobs is following his family heritage," said a voice from behind Logan.

"Thank you," Logan said to the controller before he turned to face the new arrival. "And why shouldn't I, Marcus?" Marcus Nekros was a fellow student of Logan's who had graduated with the third highest mark.

"Didn't think you had the sack for it. You were always talking about how we shouldn't do this or that," Marcus said with a smile, resting his hand on the gun at his side. Behind him stood 6 other men, all heavily armed.

"I'm not the one travelling with a private army Marcus," Logan dug, knowing it would infuriate Marcus.

"I don't need no army to take care of you, I could do it myself," Marcus yelled.

"That's not what it looks like," Logan said. He watched as Marcus became angrier before he finally reached for his gun and drew it. Instantly everyone had their guns out and pointed at someone, and not just Logan, Danielle, Marcus or his army, but every scout in the room had their weapons out.

"What is going on here?" asked a booming voice from the end of the room. Logan recognised the voice as the Guild Master for this system, Jessop. "Everyone put your guns away." Slowly, everyone lowered their weapons but no one holstered them.

"He started it Jessop," Marcus said in defiance. He was not known for his politeness.

"That is not what it looked like from where I was watching Marcus. And its Master Jessop, to you," Jessop corrected. "Logan, you have filed your trip plans?"

"Yes Master," Logan said, being respectful.

"Then be off with you. Safe journey," Jessop said. Logan knew when he was dismissed and so carefully walked out of the room, with Danielle beside him, never taking his eyes off of Marcus or his men. Once out of the guild, they holstered their guns and started for the ship.

"Thank you for back there," Logan said as they walked.

"For what?" Danielle asked.

"For supporting me. You didn't have to do it. You might have been hurt," Logan explained. Danielle chuckled.

"You're forgetting that I'm a bot. Your grandfather gave us a fully armoured chassis. There wasn't a weapon in that room that would have done any serious damage to me, besides damage to my skin," Danielle explained. "You were in more danger then me. If it comes to it, use me as a shield. I'll live."

"I'll try and remember that," Logan said.

"That is everything checked and stowed," Ling said to everybody as she walked onto the bridge. She sat at her console and looked around.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.